If You could complete your gun collection.

Ok, what are the differences in the models y'all have and what are the differences in situations that would cause you to switch weapons? Most of the folks I know who have a CHL and multiple weapons explicitly for concealed carry will stick with one of them 90% of the time and only go to one of the others in rare instances.

When I eventually get my CHL and purchase a gun, I'll probably be sticking with that gun all the time until I have a job and can afford to purchase more on my own. I've shot the Glock 26 several times and like the feel of the Glocks more than Sig Sauers and S&W pistols (although my favorite handgun is a S&W 686 revolver, but that's too big to purchase for concealed carry purposes and only gives me six shots). The main reason I'm considering the Glock 27 is because of that little bit of extra power, but the drawback is that it holds one less bullet in the magazine than the 26.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1369777" timestamp="1359994730"]
Ok, what are the differences in the models y'all have and what are the differences in situations that would cause you to switch weapons? Most of the folks I know who have a CHL and multiple weapons explicitly for concealed carry will stick with one of them 90% of the time and only go to one of the others in rare instances.

When I eventually get my CHL and purchase a gun, I'll probably be sticking with that gun all the time until I have a job and can afford to purchase more on my own. I've shot the Glock 26 several times and like the feel of the Glocks more than Sig Sauers and S&W pistols (although my favorite handgun is a S&W 686 revolver, but that's too big to purchase for concealed carry purposes and only gives me six shots). The main reason I'm considering the Glock 27 is because of that little bit of extra power, but the drawback is that it holds one less bullet in the magazine than the 26.
[/quote]

Westend has a good idea with the S&W hammerless like the Airweight. Awesome guns if that is what you are looking for.

All weapons have positives and negatives. There is no perfect firearm.

Here is my main idea on defensive handguns. Buy one that has one trigger pull and not things that you to flip to fire or make safe, I don't care what brand. My main dislike is the double/single semi-autos. The first two shots always have two distinctively different trigger pulls. It may be a 1 1/4" heavy trigger pull like 10 pounds on the first shot and a a 1/10" pull at 3 pounds on the follow up. While it can be learned, that is the kicker. It has to be learned. Then those types of handguns have to be "decocked" after each shot to lower the hammer back into a safe position which requires flipping either a safety or decocking lever.

Handguns like a striker fire (Glock, xD, M&P) have the same trigger pull each time and no other levers to flip, put on or off safety, no decocker, etc. It is the same with revolvers. One trigger pull does it all.

Then it comes down to personal preference by feel of the firearm, caliber, size, etc. Again, each has its pros and cons. Examples are a S&W Airweight revolver is a great little light gun but they are slightly wider than many semi-autos and they only have five shots. You can carry extract rounds but they are usually a good bit harder to hide and to reload. The semi-autos carry more rounds and are slimmer but many people believe that the light revolver is safer due to the longer and heavier trigger pull.

So each one has its good points and its bad points. A lot might determine what your intent for the handgun is, where you intend to carry it, your experience level or amount of time you intend to actually practice, etc.

Like I said, my favorite handgun to shoot is a revolver calibered in .357 Magnum. I'm just not a big fan of using a revolver for a concealed carry weapon because appropriate revolvers would only give me a five or six shots. I know the statistics say that it's highly unlikely I would ever have to pull my weapon and even less likely that I would actually have to discharge it in self defense, but if that moment ever comes, I would much rather be over-prepared than under-prepared.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1369987" timestamp="1360034762"]
Like I said, my favorite handgun to shoot is a revolver calibered in .357 Magnum. I'm just not a big fan of using a revolver for a concealed carry weapon because appropriate revolvers would only give me a five or six shots. I know the statistics say that it's highly unlikely I would ever have to pull my weapon and even less likely that I would actually have to discharge it in self defense, but if that moment ever comes, I would much rather be over-prepared than under-prepared.
[/quote]

Glock 26 or 27 or M&P 9c or 40c.

[quote name="mat" post="1370017" timestamp="1360072441"]
A really popular carry weapon these days is [b]the Ruger LCP. It's a small light weight 9MM.[/b] My wife has a hammerless light weight 38 special that I really like. I really don't carry so I don't have a personal preference.
[/quote]

The LCP is a .380. The LC9 is the 9mm and is slightly larger than the LCP.

Those are examples of what I was talking about of having no decockers, no external safeties and having the same trigger pull each time. The LCP can usually be tossed in the back pocket and not be noticed. The LC9 being slightly larger isn't always so good for that option but can easily be concealed other ways.

[quote name="tvc" post="1370131" timestamp="1360087426"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=77929.msg1370017#msg1370017 date=1360072441]
A really popular carry weapon these days is [b]the Ruger LCP. It's a small light weight 9MM.[/b] My wife has a hammerless light weight 38 special that I really like. I really don't carry so I don't have a personal preference.
[/quote]

The LCP is a .380. The LC9 is the 9mm and is slightly larger than the LCP.

Those are examples of what I was talking about of having no decockers, no external safeties and having the same trigger pull each time. The LCP can usually be tossed in the back pocket and not be noticed. The LC9 being slightly larger isn't always so good for that option but can easily be concealed other ways.
[/quote]
thanks

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami