Any D1 Prospects in SETX Basketball?

BADSANTA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will not be many 3A and below that will play D1 ball.  It does happen occasionally, but it is usually the Player of the Year or a 1st Team All Stater.  And they will be recruited at the smaller D1 schools.  Football is different.  There is more 3A and below that make it to big time football schools, try to name some players in 3A that went to play at major D1 schools in basketball. There are not that many, it takes more skills to play basketball.  IMO  It looks like the Stallsworth kid from Silsbee is the best player in SETexas.  I have never seen him play, I cannot say wether he will or not. If he is only 6'4" he better be a very skilled guard to play D1 ball.  He may be I have never seen him play. 

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="937856" timestamp="1293136221"]
These have the best chances:

DC Stallworth- Silsbee
Prentice Lane- Silsbee
Darrin Sells- Woodville
Garrett Gustafson- HJ
David Green- Ozen
Kristian Smith- Central
George Whittaker- Spurger
Devon Murphy- Evadale

And possible Shawn Prudome out of HJ.
[/quote]

Not to dash dreams here but the only one of this list that has a chance is DC. Guards at the college level are so much bigger now, they can shoot the lights out of it and they play above the rim. Go watch a tournament in Houston with these teams like Lamarque, Bellaire, Bush, etc and watch these kids warm up and play. Then look at the private school teams in this state. Westbury Christian, Plano Prestonwood (has one of the top players in the sophomore class), Second Baptist and Strake Jesuit who each have players that are at the top of the 2012 class. It's just a different level of basketball. Go to RCS sports and there rankings of players. SETX has like four players tops.

Eagles you gotta get out and watch more basketball.DC is the best player in SETX I've seen this season and he may get a shot at a mid major if he really developes his outside game,thats ball handling and shooting.Probably not another JUCO or D-2 player on the list.I don't mean any disrespect to any of your choices but there are some really good players out there vying for very few spots.A couple of these guys may play D-3 ball but there won't be much financial help involved.A 6"2 post player doesn't have much of a shot at playing college ball,let them enjoy their high school career.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="937853" timestamp="1293135666"]
Who all do you think will play college basketball in SETX?
[/quote]In my opinion, you can't say who will have a shot at D-1 ball. It would probably be better to break it down to major D-1, Mid-Major, JUCO, etc. Major D-1 schools look for certain qualities in a player and Mid-Major schools take whats left.

I wasnt stating that i thought all of them were gonna play major D1 ball. These are the players that have the BEST CHANCE to play ANY college ball. I dont think there is a player in SETX at all that will go too a major D1 program. DC is the only one that has a chance to get on a team. But he wont be too successful if he doesnt up his game.

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="937957" timestamp="1293160322"]
I wasnt stating that i thought all of them were gonna play major D1 ball. These are the players that have the BEST CHANCE to play ANY college ball. I dont think there is a player in SETX at all that will go too a major D1 program. DC is the only one that has a chance to get on a team. But he wont be too successful if he doesnt up his game.
[/quote]Playing "any college ball" doesn't always mean you will have a scholarship.Up his game to what level? Certainly he can play NAIA, D-3, etc. Thats why I think a kid's play should be broken down to what level you think he can play, if he needs to "up his game." ;)

That's the biggest misconception about playing college ball.There is very little if any financial help at a D-3 school.Some kids sign to play at them only to realize later that it's not what they want to do.It's hard to go from a packed house in high school to a some of these small schools who draw 150-200 people to a game.There have been some really good small school players in this area over the last few years and most didn't play past high school.If you ever get a chance go check out an SFA,Sam Houston or Lamar practice,these are small mid majors and the talent level will open your eyes.

[quote name="whsalum" post="937966" timestamp="1293162453"]
That's the biggest misconception about playing college ball.There is very little if any financial help at a D-3 school.Some kids sign to play at them only to realize later that it's not what they want to do.It's hard to go from a packed house in high school to a some of these small schools who draw 150-200 people to a game.There have been some really good small school players in this area over the last few years and most didn't play past high school.If you ever get a chance go check out an SFA,Sam Houston or Lamar practice,these are small mid majors and the talent level will open your eyes.
[/quote]Good points!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="937984" timestamp="1293165448"]
From what I have been told, DC Stallworth is getting looks from some SLC schools and a couple C-USA schools.

DC can and will play guard at the next level.
[/quote]I think he is without a doubt the best player in this area this year.These are mid-major schools and he should be a fit there.He will have to develope the long ball to play the 3 guard in college,which is where I think would be his best fit.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="937995" timestamp="1293169037"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77927.msg937984#msg937984 date=1293165448]
From what I have been told, DC Stallworth is getting looks from some SLC schools and a couple C-USA schools.

[/quote]He will have to play guard ::)
[/quote]

Really ::) You are so smart, hard to believe you are a Kashmere grad.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="937997" timestamp="1293169397"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=77927.msg937995#msg937995 date=1293169037]

[/quote]

[/quote]Kashmere? I'm from the neighborhood of the mighty Wheatley Wildcats!

wshaslum said it best, most of the players will have a shot a the d2 or d3 schools.  And there is nothing wrong with that, there is some good ball and good ball players at that level.  I love to watch the D2 and D3 games. Can the stallsworth kid shoot the long ball, at 6'4" he is either going to have to play point or 2 guard, maybe a little 3 guard if he can absolutley jump great.  It reminds me of a kid from Diboll (and I am not comparing the 2 cause I dont know DC) Jermichael Finely, he is playing pro football now, but I can remember in HS how everyone was saying how he was going to play football and basketball at whatever he wanted.  I said football yes, basketball no.  He was 6'5", very athletic and matured early, but he could not shoot.  There was just no way he could play at the Big Time Level, he could have played D2 somewhere.  If the Stallsworth kid can shoot than he has a chance to play midmajor D1 ball. IMO

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="937998" timestamp="1293169640"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77927.msg937997#msg937997 date=1293169397]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=77927.msg937995#msg937995 date=1293169037]

[/quote]

[/quote]Kashmere? I'm from the neighborhood of the mighty Wheatley Wildcats!
[/quote]

Even more surprised now. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83