18 3A

no-look

Starts tomorrow...district seems to be down a little this year from the norm.

Kirbyville @ Jasper
Hudson @ Diboll
Central @ Center
Huntington vrs. bye(should be a good one)

Center seems to be the favorite but Diboll took them to overtime in the Tatum Tourney....Hudson played HJ very close and Jasper played respectfully against Silsbee............

Center wins the district.
Jasper, Hudson, Huntington, Central, Diboll will all fight it out.  They will all be hard to beat each other at home. I dont see any out of these 5 being a clear favorite except Hudson and Jasper may have a slight advantage and Huntington is not bad when they play a good game.  It comes down to winning the games you are suppossed(maybe 1-2 losses) at home, and stealing a couple you are not suppossed to on the road.
You are right, the district is the weakest I have seen in 10-12 years.  It is there for someone to get in.

If you are picking individual games this year in 18-3a, always pick the home team and you will do well.

Based on the teams I have seen, it looks wide open...maybe a slight edge to Center but Diboll is right there with them as evidenced in their game at Tatum which went into overtime. Hudson has J. Davis and he makes them a threat to win every game, but if he gets in foul trouble or has to be out of the game, then Hudson is very vulnerable.  Jasper will make some noise also as will Central which has a very young, but talented team.

Home team better win their games and hope to get a few on the road...the teams that do that will be on top, obviously.

Starts tonight with a key game Hudson vs Diboll.  For the Jacks, its almost a "must" win game. See you at the game tonight.

[quote name="no-look" post="936951" timestamp="1292942678"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77818.msg936887#msg936887 date=1292907799]
Weak district this year.
[/quote]I think the whole region is weaker than it normally is. Cleveland, Silsbee, HJ, LeVega and Mexia being the favorites....
[/quote]

Not so sure about that. 7 teams in the top 25, 3 of which are in the top 10. That's about how it's been the last few years.

I just see 18-3A as down.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="936967" timestamp="1292945305"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=77818.msg936951#msg936951 date=1292942678]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77818.msg936887#msg936887 date=1292907799]
Weak district this year.
[/quote]I think the whole region is weaker than it normally is. Cleveland, Silsbee, HJ, LeVega and Mexia being the favorites....
[/quote]

Not so sure about that. 7 teams in the top 25, 3 of which are in the top 10. That's about how it's been the last few years.

I just see 18-3A as down.
[/quote]17 is down also.....Bullard graduated heavily.........Navasota is usually the bully in 23 but aren't they down this year?

I dont know if the Region is down, 21 3A or cleveland will probably represent us at state, but I know for sure that 18-3A is the weakest I have seen it in 10-12 years or longer.  Very weak. This is the chance for some teams to sneak in the playoffs and put a feather in their hat.  22-2A is a tougher district than 18-3A. IMO

And I also agree that the teams in the district play hard and are scrappy, but that alone is not a sign of good basketball.  I just simply do not see alot of strong players or teams in this district. The top 3 teams will be out of the playoffs pretty quickly. 
I agree with what meadowlark said and I have reiterated in other posts.  It all comes down to winning most of your games at home and stealing a few on the road. 
What will be critical is that whatever teams want to make the playoffs come prepared every night.  You can not play a game in this district and think it is a gimme game.
Center, Hudson, Jasper, Central, Huntington, Diboll, will all fight it out and Kirbyville will pick up a few and may be a spoiler.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="937058" timestamp="1292958562"]
Center will be one of them for sure.  They beat Woden 20 and Woden could play or beat the teams you listed above.

Are you talking about Kirbyville in the next few years being good or that they have a shot at being good this year if they were to move some JVer's up?  Just asking, I have no insight at all on them.
[/quote]

Next few years. Those guards are good, but not ready for varsity by any means! They need to develop and learn how to incorporate the rest of the team into their style of play. The were dribbling up the court, through traffic, running right at the defender and without even looking at the basket, pulling up from thirteen-fifteen feet.

You're right about Center, and I'll change my third place pick, and put Center in. But, I can't see Jasper or LH losing to them at home.

Agree completely about Center having a tough time beating Jasper or Hudson at their place.  Tough places to play. 

That is interesting about Kirbyville, I would think with all the recent success in football that they would not have anyone that had skills.  You are 100 percent correct about them needing to be on JV if they are driving through traffic and pulling up 15 footers.  Those are the shots that will kill you, especially at break neck speed. 

Maybe move these kids up in the playoffs and take out your better players late in games to keep 'em from getting hurt if you were at a school like silsbee, hj, or cleveland. But, they have to make the playoffs and get a substantial lead first, which I honestly don't see happening this year. But those two guards seemed to be doing all the work, and could play. They just need to mature a little bit, and learn to dish it to the post or kick it to the three-point line off of the drives they create instead of just pulling up every time. Now that being said, they made most of the shots they pulled up on!

[quote name="east texas bb" post="936563" timestamp="1292860609"]
Center wins the district.
Jasper, Hudson, Huntington, Central, Diboll will all fight it out.  They will all be hard to beat each other at home. I dont see any out of these 5 being a clear favorite except Hudson and Jasper may have a slight advantage and Huntington is not bad when they play a good game.  It comes down to winning the games you are suppossed(maybe 1-2 losses) at home, and stealing a couple you are not suppossed to on the road.
You are right, the district is the weakest I have seen in 10-12 years.  It is there for someone to get in.
[/quote]I still beleive the region is weaker this year.......183A is weakest I've seen in a long time.....but........173A I beleive is as weak or weaker....213A if you take out Silsbee and HJ would be about the same....didn't Hudson play HJ to the last couple minutes?

I dont disagree that the Region as a whole may be weaker.  I am not sure how we are represented in the rankings, that would be the best indication comparing it to years past.  If you did take Silsbee and HJ out of their district it would change the complextion of that district without a doubt, it would then be more like 18-3A.  I do not know what district 17-3A is.  I cant comment on the HJ and Hudson game, that suprised me without a doubt.  From the score it would indicate that HJ was not that good this year because Hudson is very down. But I have also seen where HJ has beat some very good teams, so I really dont understand that game. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami