**LU vs. Texas Updates** UT Wins!!

KFDM COOP

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="923907" timestamp="1291257837"]
This is the announcer that calls all the SLC conference games that are on the Fox Sports Networks.  Seen him each and every year that LU has had a game broadcasted.  He knows the league, but yet he seems to be hyping LU a bit much!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, comparing us to a bunch of gnats swarming the ball haha!

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="923877" timestamp="1291255522"]
Proud of Roc for actually playing zone. Its causing Texas lots of problems.
[/quote]
Me too!  I didn't think he'd be smart enough to play zone.  Our defense played very good.  I was very pleased with our defensive effort.  However...the offense....wow!  How r we the second highest scoring team in the country?!  I thought we had players that could shoot this year?! Man that was UGLY!!!

[quote name="UNLV" post="923878" timestamp="1291255745"]
[quote author=utfan06 link=topic=76891.msg923869#msg923869 date=1291255091]
Lol haven't played well? Maybe... but you really think texas has?
[/quote]Texas is known for it's paided off officials, especially in baseball.
[/quote]

That might be the understatement of the year!

Hard to judge this game. Take away Lamar's awful shooting and out of control plays, Lamar looked big time.
Texas didn't look like a top 25 team or was it Lamar making them look bad.
Lamar needs to work on the half court game. I really like the slashing by Lamar.
I think this is what kept Lamar in the game. Lamar has lots of depth, finally.
Watch out SLC. This Lamar team has potential.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="923930" timestamp="1291259485"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=76891.msg923877#msg923877 date=1291255522]
Proud of Roc for actually playing zone. Its causing Texas lots of problems.
[/quote]
Me too!  I didn't think he'd be smart enough to play zone.  Our defense played very good.  I was very pleased with our defensive effort.  However...the offense....wow!  How r we the second highest scoring team in the country?!  I thought we had players that could shoot this year?! Man that was UGLY!!!
[/quote]We didn't play Billy ball tonight. Roc changed the style.

[quote name="UNLV" post="923937" timestamp="1291259910"]
Hard to judge this game. Take away Lamar's awful shooting and out of control plays, Lamar looked big time.
[color=red][i][b]Lamar needs to work on the half court game.[/b][/i][/color] I really like the slashing by Lamar.
[/quote]

Careful UNLV.....when I said this exact same thing after the 1st game of the year I was criticized!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Just got back from the game.  Stupid traffic made me miss the 1st minute of the game.  Here's my observations:

UT's tough defense didn't kick in until about halfway through the first half.  I was impressed with the way LU took the ball to the basket, but UT's big guys, while not that big, were good defenders and had a lot of blocks.

LU was only 1-6 from behind the arc mostly due to UT not allowing LU any good looks.  When LU did have a few open 3s, for some reason they passed them up and took some long jumpers instead. Texas has one of the best defenses in the nation so it's not surprising Lamar didn't shoot well, but I definitely was surprised by how well Lamar played defense.

Custer played a lot because Roc needed a big guy inside.  He had a decent game but LU definitely needs a good inside player.  Brazier had a few bright spots but he's not there yet.  Brown probably needs another year under his belt before he'll be a factor.  But LU was about even on the boards with UT and they even got some good offensive rebounds.

Mike James wasn't a factor in this game.  He looked out of sync.  Davis had a decent game but he's inconsistent.  That probably sums up all the new guys.  They should get better as the season progresses.  With all the talk about the new guys, I was surprised how well the veterans played.  Harris looks like a whole new player.  Miles started the game strong.  Harper had a solid game.

I thought the refs called a decent game.  The Texas fans were complaining during the whole game about the refs.  The alley-oop dunk by Davis (I think) really impressed the Texas fans.

On the way home on the radio UT's color announcer said that both Harris and Miles will cause a lot of problems in the SLC.  I hope they are right.  I'm sure UT has played better games and they are a young team, but Lamar hung tough most of the game so hopefully they'll build on this.

[quote name="coachacola" post="923976" timestamp="1291263376"]
Just got back from the game.  Stupid traffic made me miss the 1st minute of the game.  Here's my observations:

UT's tough defense didn't kick in until about halfway through the first half.  I was impressed with the way LU took the ball to the basket, but UT's big guys, while not that big, were good defenders and had a lot of blocks.

LU was only 1-6 from behind the arc mostly due to UT not allowing LU any good looks.  When LU did have a few open 3s, for some reason they passed them up and took some long jumpers instead. Texas has one of the best defenses in the nation so it's not surprising Lamar didn't shoot well, but I definitely was surprised by how well Lamar played defense.

Custer played a lot because Roc needed a big guy inside.  He had a decent game but LU definitely needs a good inside player.  Brazier had a few bright spots but he's not there yet.  Brown probably needs another year under his belt before he'll be a factor.  But LU was about even on the boards with UT and they even got some good offensive rebounds.

Mike James wasn't a factor in this game.  He looked out of sync.  Davis had a decent game but he's inconsistent.  That probably sums up all the new guys.  They should get better as the season progresses.  With all the talk about the new guys, I was surprised how well the veterans played.  Harris looks like a whole new player.  Miles started the game strong.  Harper had a solid game.

I thought the refs called a decent game.  The Texas fans were complaining during the whole game about the refs.  The alley-oop dunk by Davis (I think) really impressed the Texas fans.

On the way home on the radio UT's color announcer said that both Harris and Miles will cause a lot of problems in the SLC.  I hope they are right.  I'm sure UT has played better games and they are a young team, but Lamar hung tough most of the game so hopefully they'll build on this.
[/quote]

alley oop was lamb. he had a solid game

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="923934" timestamp="1291259624"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=76891.msg923878#msg923878 date=1291255745]
[quote author=utfan06 link=topic=76891.msg923869#msg923869 date=1291255091]
Lol haven't played well? Maybe... but you really think texas has?
[/quote]Texas is known for it's paided off officials, especially in baseball.
[/quote]

That might be the understatement of the year!
[/quote]True enough there is another possible explanation.  Those were Southland officials.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="923946" timestamp="1291260861"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=76891.msg923937#msg923937 date=1291259910]
[color=red][i][b]Lamar needs to work on the half court game.[/b][/i][/color] I really like the slashing by Lamar.
[/quote]

Careful UNLV.....when I said this exact same thing after the 1st game of the year I was criticized!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

A little different here as your comments were after our FIRST GAME.  ;D

Roc picked up good talent and reasonable size for this group to make a big improvement.  If the shooting last night was a fluke then we have something to look forward to this year and next at least.  If the shooting is related to good defense by Texas and others figure out how to slow LU down they it could still be a long year.  At this point Roc is still only a good recruiter and low experience coach.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont