Sportsmanship

ndn78

Last night at the Willis game I was very disappointed to see the Willis team meet at mid field before the game and after half time. Their routine before kick off's is fine, 11 guys coming together to get pumped. This is not a player problem it is a coaching problem. Willis was the most athletic, never give up hard working team I have seen at any high school level in a long time they have no need to do this. I wish them the best of luck as their program grows.

Last year against Brenham as their coaches dressed with ties on they let their players do the same thing. I don't care if you are on your home field during the regular season, home team during the playoffs that should never be done. Neither of these teams are the first to do it and sadly probably won't be the last but for the life of me I cannot understand how a coach would allow this.

In 30+ years of watching 6 man through 5A football I have seen this and it angers me every time. I have all the respect in the world for Brenham and now Willis but please stop this part or your routine. These kids have enough bad influence watching how college and pro sports have turned into a thug show without being allowed to do this in high school.

I do not mean to single out Willis or Brenham but they are the two teams I have seen do it lately. Both of you have great schools and have no reason to do this. If a PNG coach ever allows this I will gather as many fans as possible and go to the school board and superintendent and try and have it stopped. NDN fans cross the line just like all others and so do our players.

I am asking the coaching community as a whole to stop this practice. This teaches this young men nothing. Good luck to all of you still in the playoffs and great job to those of you who are out.

Go PNG!

[quote name="Old61Eagle" post="915833" timestamp="1290375530"]
But how about when they are pointing to their opponents and saying things to them?  They are not just there to celebrate their own team but to make fun of the other team.
[/quote]

thats completely different>? the original post just said they went to the middle to get fired up.

[quote name="pirate68" post="915851" timestamp="1290376337"]
I think this thread would get the"CMON MAN" on ESPN.. ;D
[/quote]
;D ;D I think it would too. Lol. I honestly see nothing wrong with a team going to middle of the field. Just like Steeler said, if they were going on your side I can see something wrong with that.

[quote name="ndn78" post="915768" timestamp="1290373147"]
Last night at the Willis game I was very disappointed to see the Willis team meet at mid field before the game and after half time. Their routine before kick off's is fine, 11 guys coming together to get pumped. This is not a player problem it is a coaching problem. Willis was the most athletic, never give up hard working team I have seen at any high school level in a long time they have no need to do this. I wish them the best of luck as their program grows.

Last year against Brenham as their coaches dressed with ties on they let their players do the same thing. I don't care if you are on your home field during the regular season, home team during the playoffs that should never be done. Neither of these teams are the first to do it and sadly probably won't be the last but for the life of me I cannot understand how a coach would allow this.

In 30+ years of watching 6 man through 5A football I have seen this and it angers me every time. I have all the respect in the world for Brenham and now Willis but please stop this part or your routine. These kids have enough bad influence watching how college and pro sports have turned into a thug show without being allowed to do this in high school.

I do not mean to single out Willis or Brenham but they are the two teams I have seen do it lately. Both of you have great schools and have no reason to do this. If a PNG coach ever allows this I will gather as many fans as possible and go to the school board and superintendent and try and have it stopped. NDN fans cross the line just like all others and so do our players.

I am asking the coaching community as a whole to stop this practice. This teaches this young men nothing. Good luck to all of you still in the playoffs and great job to those of you who are out.

Go PNG!
[/quote]
This is a few minutes of my life that I will never get back.  If they were taunting the other team I would say ban it but they were just getting fired up on a NEUTRAL FIELD.  Sounds like something a person from Friendswood would say.  C'mon man!!!!!!

I say if a Team wants to get in the middle of the field and make their team and their coaching staff look Like JACK ARSES let them ..it also can  fire up the apponent!( Anyway if the kids dont have respect or Sportsmanship by this age ,,they will not ever have it....Its taught by Parents from a young age...)

I do not have a problem with a team meeting at midfield to get fired up.  I think what ndn78 left out was that a large group of their players were pointing at our team who had already entered the field and were standing on the sidelines.  It wasn't just getting fired up, they were taunting...not all of them but about 2/3 of them were taunting our team, coaches, NDN Spirit, and even pointing at the crowd!  I saw some of our players go over to the ref and say something and he went over and I guess gave them a warning and made them move closer to their sidelines.  The refs also stood at mid field after halftime and would not let them gather there.  I don't think the refs would have gotten involved had it just been a team getting "fired up".  I'm sure their coaches do not encourage that type of behavior and I'm sure they will be delt with just like our boys are when they cross the line.  That being said, Willis has a GREAT team and PNG has much respect for them and we look forward to hopefully meeting again in the playoffs next year!

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="916027" timestamp="1290387009"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=76467.msg916019#msg916019 date=1290386463]
Is Sportman Ship a new cruise liner with Carnaval????
[/quote]

No actually it is a chinese junk converted to a battleship... ;D
[/quote]
Maybe it's Smoking Baby's fishing boat?  ;D

[quote name="shovelhead" post="916037" timestamp="1290387846"]
[quote author=Kville_Kats link=topic=76467.msg916027#msg916027 date=1290387009]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=76467.msg916019#msg916019 date=1290386463]
Is Sportman Ship a new cruise liner with Carnaval????
[/quote]

No actually it is a chinese junk converted to a battleship... ;D
[/quote]
Maybe it's Smoking Baby's fishing boat?  ;D
[/quote]

lol...good one

The Huffman boys always meet at midfield and do a tight team huddle and get fired up it's been their team tradition, atleast this season and I see nothing wrong with it at all, it is in no way unsportsman like behavior.... They are demonstrating team unity and showing that they came to play. No respect should be lost for that.

Laugh all you want at my lack of grammar and yes I did leave out the part about direct taunting toward our side line on purpose. Just my opinion but I do not ever think you should make gestures toward the other sideline. Do what ever you want toward your team and fans to fire them up, there is never a reason to taunt the other team. Part of trying to show these young men how to grow as a person and not only as an athelete is about teaching them respect for others. I guess I just come from a generation who prefered to let my play on the field do the talking. One time I saw an interview with the great Barry Sanders and he was asked why he did not spike the ball after a touch down and he said because he was taught to act like he had been there before and like he would be back again. To each his own.

Good luck to all, go PNG!

Kville_kats, I have supported your team for many years and sat on your sideline when ya'll played BC. Most all the people I was around were very classy and thank me for being there in my Purple and White supporting your team. Hopefully your one of those type of people.

[quote name="ndn78" post="916059" timestamp="1290389395"]
Laugh all you want at my lack of grammar and yes I did leave out the part about direct taunting toward our side line on purpose. Just my opinion but I do not ever think you should make gestures toward the other sideline. Do what ever you want toward your team and fans to fire them up, there is never a reason to taunt the other team. Part of trying to show these young men how to grow as a person and not only as an athelete is about teaching them respect for others. I guess I just come from a generation who prefered to let my play on the field do the talking. One time I saw an interview with the great Barry Sanders and he was asked why he did not spike the ball after a touch down and he said because he was taught to act like he had been there before and like he would be back again. To each his own.

Kville_kats, I have supported your team for many years and sat on your sideline when ya'll played BC. Most all the people I was around were very classy and thank me for being there in my Purple and White supporting your team. Hopefully your one of those type of people.
[/quote]

I'm sorry if I offended you,it was all in fun...God knows I ain't no english professor..I graduated from TCU  (trout creek university)...Thanks for supporting the Cat's.... ;)

[quote name="ndn78" post="916059" timestamp="1290389395"]

[/quote]
I was just picking ndn78, but to be honest, I agree with you. The pre-kickoff gyrations bother me as much as the midfield gestures. While we are bitchin, I'm gonna throw out another that will probably be unpopular too. The Indian defense guys trying to get the crowd pumped up rubs me wrong. I'll be the first to admit that I'm old school, but my coaches would say that if you wanna be a cheerleader, put on a skirt and get off the field. If you want to pump up the crowd, sack the ball carrier in his own backfield. That will get the crowd up a whole lot more than giving up an 8 yard carry, then flapping you arms to get the crowd hollering. Like you said, to each his own.

Go Indians!

I got no problem with the midfield pregame gathering. Iy was the taunting that was disrespectful. The key for me was that it didn't stop there. It spilled over onto the field with several late hits and cheepshots. Those are things that a coaching staff can and should have stopped before playoff time when it can really hurt you as it did on our last drive when a Willis kid took a swing at one of ours after being pancaked (legally). That was a costly 15 yards in our game clinching TD Drive. Had the Willis staff stopped this early it wouldn't have happened in a crucial time of the game.

PNG versus Vidor got a little chippy and Doty did some taunting after a TD. Coaches pulled them all to the side and put an end to it sternly. Havent seen it since.

[quote name="bigtime409" post="916126" timestamp="1290392398"]
so the PNG Indian dancer gets to dance on the field, all the way to 50 yard line, yet this thread was started because Willis ran out to the middle of the field fired up to play a football game. what's the argument?

come on man...
[/quote]
The Indian Spirit Dances on our side of the field only and directs every thing toward our fan base. I can tell you have been to very few PNG games.

The point being made is that when you show no respect for your opponent, you stand a good chance in loosing due to lack of focus. You tend to do stupid things that cost you. Last night was proof!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83