Ode to High School Athletes

On some ongoing threads there are those who are downing schools, players and coaches for not having the resumes for being a part of the playoffs in this age of expanded teams in the mix due to UIL rules.

Well I just wanted to give some props to all the young men and young women that spend hours and hour in practices. Football players endure the heat of summer to get started, while the girls hit the gym for volleyball practices, basketball players are taking over for the most part now and don't mention bleachers to most of them, baseball, softball, track, tennis, golf, power lift and soccer players are soon to get started if they have not already started.

We weekend warriors who might play a round of golf every so often (at least that is me) or go bowling or maybe play in a softball league need to remember that for many of these young people they are keeping up with their school work, some are holding down part time jobs, some are doing extra personal practices to better themselves in their sport, so before we start getting down on any student athlete that is just abiding by the rules as they stand right now, lets all remember that these are the "GOOD KIDS", these are the ones that are looking at going to college or vocational schools to further their educations. These are the ones that are joining the military. These are the ones that had a drive to succeed and that we want to be in positions of leadership in our country in the years to come.

If you have be negitive on a post think about who and what you are belittleing as you do it. We should be encouraging these kids not downing them.

Just my opinion, but I say more power to them and I wish more would get involved, but with attitudes like some of the posts on some of the threads you could see why some might not want to be a part of high school athletics.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="911376" timestamp="1290009028"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=76253.msg911335#msg911335 date=1290006356]
GREAT post, thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

I did not write it, but I include cheerleaders in my student athlete group as well!
[/quote]

Whomever wrote it wrote it well and it is worth repeating.  Thanks for including cheerleaders also.  ;D  If my girls were taller they would be great athletes but they gave it their all in middle school but HS is a different thing.  If your not tall then it doesn't matter how much talent you have.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="911328" timestamp="1290005290"]
On some ongoing threads there are those who are downing schools, players and coaches for not having the resumes for being a part of the playoffs in this age of expanded teams in the mix due to UIL rules.

Well I just wanted to give some props to all the young men and young women that spend hours and hour in practices. Football players endure the heat of summer to get started, while the girls hit the gym for volleyball practices, basketball players are taking over for the most part now and don't mention bleachers to most of them, baseball, softball, track, tennis, golf, power lift and soccer players are soon to get started if they have not already started.

We weekend warriors who might play a round of golf every so often (at least that is me) or go bowling or maybe play in a softball league need to remember that for many of these young people they are keeping up with their school work, some are holding down part time jobs, some are doing extra personal practices to better themselves in their sport, so before we start getting down on any student athlete that is just abiding by the rules as they stand right now, lets all remember that these are the "GOOD KIDS", these are the ones that are looking at going to college or vocational schools to further their educations. These are the ones that are joining the military. These are the ones that had a drive to succeed and that we want to be in positions of leadership in our country in the years to come.

If you have be negitive on a post think about who and what you are belittleing as you do it. We should be encouraging these kids not downing them.

Just my opinion, but I say more power to them and I wish more would get involved, but with attitudes like some of the posts on some of the threads you could see why some might not want to be a part of high school athletics.
[/quote]

Good post but I take exception to one thing you said.  These are not [b]THE [/b] "GOOD KIDS".  These are some of the "GOOD KIDS".  A lot of "GOOD KIDS" do not participate in high school athletics.  There are "GOOD KIDS" in Vo Ag, Band, Drama, Debate, etc.  I know it seems I'm nitpicking but too often the non-athletic kids are overlooked and they shouldn't be.

[quote name="Versey Ledbetter" post="912353" timestamp="1290111840"]
[quote author=Rebel Yeller link=topic=76253.msg911328#msg911328 date=1290005290]

[/quote]

Good post but I take exception to one thing you said.  These are not [b]THE [/b] "GOOD KIDS".  These are some of the "GOOD KIDS".  A lot of "GOOD KIDS" do not participate in high school athletics.  There are "GOOD KIDS" in Vo Ag, Band, Drama, Debate, etc.  I know it seems I'm nitpicking but too often the non-athletic kids are overlooked and they shouldn't be.
[/quote]

Point well taken VL! I did not mean to imply that those not in athletics were not good kids just like there are some in athletics who are not, my point is that we need to encourage ALL students that are involved outside the classmroom, including all those you mentioned and more. I just want those on this forum which deals more with sports to remember that these are kids that we post about and that they need to be cut some slack on occasion, because they do go above and beyond what is required to get their diploma and graduate. I do personally want to congratulate all those that you mentioned as they to are outstanding young people that need our support as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu