Newton Coach Curtis Barbay Passes Away....Texas Loses A Legend

Guest Jmeek

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A old school coach who cared for his players beyond the playing field. I graduated Newton in 1990  , and then went to college. After i graduated college i came back home and could not get a job for a year.Coach Barbay found out i was home and called me and told me he would make sure i was the first person  to be called on the substitute teachers list.  The next day and for the next year i was called everyday to come and work at the school as a substitute teacher.  He told me as long as you are trying he would be there to help in anyway he could.

[quote name="NOTWENS" post="857957" timestamp="1285476827"]
A old school coach who cared for his players beyond the playing field. I graduated Newton in 1990  , and then went to college. After i graduated college i came back home and could not get a job for a year.Coach Barbay found out i was home and called me and told me he would make sure i was the first person  to be called on the substitute teachers list.  The next day and for the next year i was called everyday to come and work at the school as a substitute teacher.  He told me as long as you are trying he would be there to help in anyway he could.
[/quote] 8)  not many would do what he did

There will never be another Curtis Barbay,  While this is a huge loss for the Newton family, Coach Barbay's influence reaches far beyond East Texas . Coach Barbay was a tremendously significant figure both on and off the field. He impacted the lives of generations of student athletes, yet this loss will be felt by individuals from all parts of society. He was not only one of the greatest coaches in high school football, he was an exceptional individual that transcended the world of high school sports. His enduring legacy as a role model is one we should all strive to emulate. The King of kings has welcomed the Coach of coaches.  Rest in peace Coach.

Coach Barbay was an Old School Coach who still believed in morals,things that are missing in today's society..When you asked Him a question you got an answer,It might not be the one you wanted but If it was what He thought it was the one you was gonna get...Iv'e said this before ,Of all the Coaches iv"e seen in my lifetime Coach Barbay is at the top of the list,of people That was truly a COACH..GOD bless the Barbay Family and the town of Newton...

Wow. I was just coming on to see what happened Friday night after a pretty busy start to my weekend. I've followed football in that area for 30 years and there wasn't anyone involved that was as respected as Coach Barbay. Prayers are being sent up from here in Washington and I'm sure many are from my friends in Jasper as well. Rest in peace, Coach.

[/quote]

Awesome story! And a great tribute to a wonderful man on and off the field.

[/quote]

I guess all Barbays are great. To do something like that is pure greatness. I graduated from Woodville in 1998 and played under Brian. He was a good coach also and kept you motivated. I guess good apples dont fall far from the tree. I played against Mr. Barbay and when Woodville was in contention we would always talk about Newton every week at practice saying that the showdown is about to be here. I remember Mr. Barbay standing on the sideline when I would be out on the field thinking man that is the great Barbay. We'll we got beat in 98 by Newton by 7 points and they went on to win state. I will say this, we were bitter it happened that way but I would rather it of been a great team like they had then to take us out. A Legend will never be forgotten!!!!!!!!!!

Rip coach. From mustangland. I remember when I played in the mid to late 90's, we would always play newton first game of the season. Man they had some teams. And coach Barbay was the reason. I know him and hooks were best of friends.  This has been a terrible week for hooks, but mostly, setx in a whole. :'(

I played for Coach Brian Barbay in the early 90's when he was at Coldspring.  I know today he is very sad.  My prayers are with him and his family.  This same thing happened in Coldspring in 92 when we lost our Coach the great Ed Peveto.  That year we went onto the 3A state championship game.  Here A year ago or so I lost my coach that had taught me so many life skills that I did not realize at time, but now realize.  Coach Moynahan took over for Coach Peveto and continued what he started.  I hope that someone great carries on for Coach Barbay.  I never knew him, but have heard plenty of stories.  My heart goes out to the entire family players and coaches over their in Newton.  Over here in Coldspring we will be there for ya Brian.

God bless the Barbay family and everyone who was touched by this man.  I hope everyone associated with him will take some time to reflect on the good memories he brought.  He had a positive impact on hundreds and hundreds of people. 

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights..." (James 1:17)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476