Toughest district in 3A

Guest heart and fire

Guest heart and fire
Go to Dave Campbell website and they have an article over District 16 in 3A.

District 16

1) Carthage
2) Gilmer
3) Gladewater
4) Henderson- Largest school in this district
5) Longview Springhill
6) Pittsburg

D1 Carthage State Champs 2009

D2 Gilmer  State Champs 2009

Pittsburg who made the playoffs last year and got to the fourth round, and Henderson who just drop from 4A.

Wow!  What a beast of teams in this district. No wonder it is considered the toughest district in 3A.

I believe whoever makes the playoffs in this district will win state D1 and D2. 8)

Guest heart and fire
[quote name="Scalp'em" post="825086" timestamp="1281677163"]
Awesome district, I was just up there on a business trip.
[/quote] Which part of east texas?  :)

Guest heart and fire
This is part of the article about this district:

Usually, a team that drops in classification can breathe a sigh of relief and be thankful because its chances for success have significantly increased.

Coming off a 5-5 season in Class 4A, Henderson had to be initially excited about the prospect of dropping down to Class 3A and improving its fortunes in 2010. But that enthusiasm didn’t last long, because the UIL did the Lions no favors in February when it put Henderson in the same district with three East Texas powerhouses.

District 16-3A features both 2009 Class 3A state champions: Gilmer and Carthage. Both are highly ranked again entering the 2010 season – Carthage is No. 4 and Gilmer is No.  13 – and there’s no question that they have the talent and athleticism to compete with just about any Class 4A team.

Pittsburg didn’t make it to a state final last year, but the Pirates won a regional title en route to a 12-2 record. Pittsburg opens 2010 ranked No. 18.

Henderson fits right into the thick of the district race with its No. 15 preseason ranking. The Lions return the most starters (14) of any of the powerhouse teams, and they’re the biggest school in the district with 879 students. But a playoff bid is far from a certainty against this playoff-tested group.

Carthage has arguably the two best players in the district: QB  Anthony Morgan and LB Kendall Thompson. That’s a big reason why Carthage is the preseason district favoritedespite returning only eight starters.

Gilmer lost even more. The Buckeyes have only four returning starters, and they lost arguably the best player in the state when QB Stump Godfrey graduated. But Gilmer still has plenty of talent in the system and should still figure into the playoff picture.

Pittsburg might be the dark horse heading into the season. The Pirates lost an elite running back in Ted Burns, which will put pressure on QB Mitch Manley to be even better than he was last year. Pittsburg has 11 returning starters.

The bottom two teams in this district figure to be Gladewater and Longview Spring Hill. Gladewater snuck into the playoffs in 2009 despite a 3-7 regular-season record. You can bet that no one from this district will make the 2010 playoffs with a losing record.  Spring Hill had a respectable 4-6 record in 2009 and has 14 starters back. But the Panthers have to know that a playoff bid in 2010 would require a couple of major upsets. Such is life in 16-3A

Guest heart and fire
[quote name="Sloe" post="825266" timestamp="1281743643"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=71609.msg825243#msg825243 date=1281735721]
While I agree that this is the toughest district in the state. I do not think any of those teams will win it all this year.
[/quote]I disagree
[/quote]What other district would you think could tuff than district 16 in 3A. ;D

[quote name="heart and fire" post="825288" timestamp="1281753118"]
[quote author=Sloe link=topic=71609.msg825266#msg825266 date=1281743643]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=71609.msg825243#msg825243 date=1281735721]
While I agree that this is the toughest district in the state. I do not think any of those teams will win it all this year.
[/quote]I disagree
[/quote]What other district would you think could tuff than district 16 in 3A. ;D
[/quote]5-3A I think. With Wylie, brownwood

[quote name="heart and fire" post="825082" timestamp="1281674560"]
Go to Dave Campbell website and they have an article over District 16 in 3A.

District 16

1) Carthage
2) Gilmer
3) Gladewater
4) Henderson- Largest school in this district
5) Longview Springhill
6) Pittsburg

D1 Carthage State Champs 2009

D2 Gilmer  State Champs 2009

Pittsburg who made the playoffs last year and got to the fourth round, and Henderson who just drop from 4A.

Wow!  What a beast of teams in this district. No wonder it is considered the toughest district in 3A.

I believe whoever makes the playoffs in this district will win state D1 and D2. 8)
[/quote]

While possible, not very likely.  Carthage and Gilmer both lost some key components from last year.  I am sure they have tremendous athletes to fill their shoes, but it takes a lot of skill plus some luck for two teams from the same district to win it all.  Doubt it all falls into place but who knows.  ???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder