Is It Time For A New Chief In PNG Country?

Guest Indian Chief

How do you know what kind of offensive coach Burnett is? You talk about RUN , RUN, PASS. That doesn't say very much. What kind of runs? Is he running dive, iso, counter, double dive, power, counter iso, bootleg run, sweep,wingbacktrap, jet sweep, belly, speed option, load option, scat, trap, scat-trap, counter-trap, zone stretch, ????????????? Are they lining up in the spread, wing-T, wishbone, broken bone, I, ????????????????? To say run, run pass give absolutely no information at all.

SO IN SHORT.............................KNOW WHAT IN THE H YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Williams had some good years but nothing the last several years. 90% of people at LCM loved Williams but also agreed it was time for a fresh start. Look at them now.

They probably liked him because maybe he was a nice guy and his players respected him. LCM did not get a new coach to get a fresh start, they got a new coach because they were not going to the playoffs. If they had a string of several years in the playoffs, you can bet they would not have wanted a "fresh start".

Guest Cherokee Nation

I think sometimes fans are unrealistic with their expectations. PN-G will never have the athletes that have colleges drooling over them like Ozen or Port Arthur. Off the '99 team, we only had a couple kids get scholarship offers. I have said it before, game in and game out the Indians are competetive. I attribute that to good coaching. People need to realize we are also starting a soph. QB. When D. Long, who was perhaps the greatest QB in this area's history, was a soph. we didn't go to the playoffs and we lost to LCM. Everything worked out pretty well after that year. Bottom line is Burnett is a good football coach.

oh yea, for the person that asked....Burnetts overall record at PNG is 82-54. Not bad but remember we are always one of the highest enrolled schools in 20 & 22-4A. We should always be above .500 in this district. We are at least close to as talented as Nederland year in and out and have almost the same enrollment, yet they have owned us this decade. One more thing...his record was 30-7 the 3 years D. Long was the starter here(1997-1999)....so do the math and judge for yourselves....

Guest Indian Chief
dont get the wrong idea. there are worse coaches out there and I will stand with Burnett as long as hes there' date=' but you cannot continue to lose to your rival year in-out and expect everyone to be happy. that rule applies at every level of football.[/color']
yes it does. As i was saying earlier today i love Burnett and the Coaches. Matt will always have a place at PNG. I just think a fresh start may not be a bad idea.

to the person who began this post:

first of all, you obviously do not pay attention to much football besides the final score and how many times you hear cherokee in one night because you do not understand that as a high school coach, you can not recruit kids to come and play for you (unless you are dan hooks of course). with that being said, you cannot expect to make it 4 rounds in playoffs every year. yes png has a very strong background in football, but every once in a while you are just going to be down in the talent pool. not to say that the kids arent good athletes but also look at the district you are in. in high school you are going to have ups and downs and you just have to live with it. i know png hates losing but you know there are some teams that havent been to the playoffs in a long time and now you are getting a little taste of what they go through while you are basking in glory.

so no, burnett should not be fired, you have seen what the man has done for png football, i mean he took your indians to a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for cryin out loud. so just swallow the fact that they will not make playoffs this year and get ready for next season.

Guest Indian Chief

Yes i understand football and i understand what your saying. Once again Burnett has done a great job and he will always be a part of PNG. I do enjoy seeing different teams like LCM, Vidor and Lumberton having a shot at the playoffs. I just raised the question about a fresh start and what PNg folks thought about it.

Here is an unbiased opinion from a person from outside this area....The PNG Indians do not seem to be the PNG Indians of old. It is hard to explain but something has been different the last several years. The Indians would storm into a stadium with that PNG swagger and you know the other team had to play a perfect game to even budge PNG. Not how it is anymore. Is it the coaches fault? Hard to say. Maybe it has to do with the rest of the teams in the district catching up to the Mid County squads. it has happened in a lot of sports. Parity is everywhere these days. A new coach may not change what is going on. Cant imagine PNG firing a coach with so much background in Indian Nation and that has had the success he has had. As with losing so many in the MCM, keep in mind the UT vs OU rivalry. Streaks always end.

to the person who began this post:

first of all' date=' you obviously do not pay attention to much football besides the final score and how many times you hear cherokee in one night because you do not understand that as a high school coach, you can not recruit kids to come and play for you (unless you are dan hooks of course). with that being said, you cannot expect to make it 4 rounds in playoffs every year. yes png has a very strong background in football, but every once in a while you are just going to be down in the talent pool. not to say that the kids arent good athletes but also look at the district you are in. in high school you are going to have ups and downs and you just have to live with it. i know png hates losing but you know there are some teams that havent been to the playoffs in a long time and now you are getting a little taste of what they go through while you are basking in glory.

so no, burnett should not be fired, you have seen what the man has done for png football, [b']i mean he took your indians to a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for cryin out loud. so just swallow the fact that they will not make playoffs this year and get ready for next season.

3 years Dustin Long was the starting QB PNG's record was 30-7 including the state championship run. Besides those 3 years he has been a .500 coach, including a 4-10 record vs Nederland. (Long has 2 of the wins).

This is typical. Players win and coaches loose. Change for the sake of change can be a disaster. Ozen made a change for no reason 2 years ago and look where that has led. No way with the former coach that group of athletes is 0-6. You keep sighting LCM. What makes you think the former staff wouldn't be 3-3 under the same set of circumstances. The grass is not always greener on the other side. You people should be greatful that he has not left for a job with more athletes to choose from. I am sure oppurtunities have presented themselves.

This is typical. Players win and coaches loose. Change for the sake of change can be a disaster. Ozen made a change for no reason 2 years ago and look where that has led. No way with the former coach that group of athletes is 0-6. You keep sighting LCM. What makes you think the former staff wouldn't be 3-3 under the same set of circumstances. The grass is not always greener on the other side. You people should be greatful that he has not left for a job with more athletes to choose from. I am sure oppurtunities have presented themselves.

this IS typical.....coming from an outsider. Have you seen PNG's team since 1999?

You use Ozen and LCM as examples....why not Nederland before they had Newmann? Or West Brook for 10 years before Stump' date=' Or Central before they had Stowers, or PNG before they had Malone. The list could keep going on....Im not saying Burnett is horrible and HAS to go and I will pull 100% for him and the players forever but to say coaching doesnt matter is ridiculas. Ask the Dogs if they'd take Bobby August back tommorow.... [/color']

this IS typical.....coming from an outsider. Have you seen PNG's team since 1999?

You use Ozen and LCM as examples....why not Nederland before they had Newmann? Or West Brook for 10 years before Stump' date=' Or Central before they had Stowers, or PNG before they had Malone. The list could keep going on....Im not saying Burnett is horrible and HAS to go and I will pull 100% for him and the players forever but to say coaching doesnt matter is ridiculas. Ask the Dogs if they'd take Bobby August back tommorow.... [/color']

Uhhhhh, thanks but no.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124