Pat QB Audibles to Focus on Baseball

Guest GCMPats

Guest GCMPats
[size=12pt]Pat QB audibles to focus on baseball [/size]

By Nathan Hague

Goose Creek Memorial’s Price Jacobs has helped his Patriots win in both football and baseball, but the senior says he will not be suiting up on the gridiron Friday nights this fall.

Jacobs, the Patriots’ No. 2 quarterback the past two seasons, was expected to compete with junior Chris Cowan, last year’s JV quarterback, for the starting signal-caller job when GCM opens preseason drills next Monday.

Instead, Jacobs says he will spend this fall in preparation for the spring, where he hopes to help lead his baseball team on the diamond.

“It was a tough decision, but I think it’s for the best,” Jacobs said. “I talked to Coach (Bret) Boyd last Friday and that’s when it was official, but I have been thinking about it all summer long.

“It was a really tough decision. I could tell he (Boyd) was shocked, but he was understanding about it, which was nice.”

Jacobs said the fact he might have been named the starting quarterback made the decision especially tough.

“I think I would have it,” he said. “It seems like it, but nothing is ever a given. I feel like my future is in baseball and if I focus on that, I’ll be better off in the end.”

Last season, the Patriots baseball team went to the playoffs for the first time in school history, and that has left Jacobs hungry for more.

“It was fun going to the playoffs,” he said. “We played a tough team in Nederland, but that happens sometimes. That’s what happens when you go in at fourth place. I just hope we can go back.”

Baseball head coach Chris Rupp has all the confidence in the world in his young pitcher.

“I feel real good about him,” Rupp said. “He’s a real catalyst for our team. As a junior, he was better than he was as a sophomore, and I think he’ll be even better as a senior. I have no doubt he’s capable of one day playing at the next level.”

During his sophomore year, Jacobs fashioned a 2-1 record on the mound with a 2.77 ERA. That same year, he had a batting average of .432 with nine doubles, eight home runs and 30 RBIs.

“He had 12 home runs his junior year, over a .400 batting average and over 30 RBIs,” Rupp said. “I know he had at least 10 or 15 stolen bases. He was real good, and he’s just continuing to get better. He’s been playing a lot this summer, and that can only help his chances of playing at greater heights.”

His summer baseball will continue over into the fall where he’ll continue to work on his game of choice.

“I play with a summer team that will continue to play during football season, and I have camps and showcases to go to,” he said. “There’s just so much happening.”

As a junior for GCM’s football team, Jacobs completed 5 of 9 passes for 58 yards and one touchdown. He was also the Patriots’ kicker (scoring 30 points on 27 PATs and one field goal) and punter (averaging 35.8 yards).

Guest Penny
Trev's a competitor, my monies on what's in his gut showin up on Friday's.  I think he knows that he's a high school senior only one dang time in his life.  He's a special kid, wish nothing but the best for him.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Penny" post="822199" timestamp="1280546903"]
Trev's a competitor, my monies on what's in his gut showin up on Friday's.  I think he knows that he's a high school senior only one dang time in his life.  He's a special kid, wish nothing but the best for him.
[/quote]

Electing not to play would not make him any less of a "competitor". Trevin will do what is best for him.

Don't know the kid but I'll bet he'll be just like the other 99% I do know who will regret the decision 10 years down the road.  When all his buddies are telling stories about hanging out in the locker room and playing football, he'll be left out of the conversation.  Most of these decisions are short sided just like a kid who decides to work to pay for truck insurance instead of playing high school athletics.  Kids don't always know what is best for them but they have to live with the consequences down the road.  I would say the same about a kid who decides to concentrate on football and not play baseball in the spring also.  Just my opinion.  I am sure all the "fall ball" advocates will now express theirs.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="822257" timestamp="1280587242"]
[quote author=Penny link=topic=71228.msg822199#msg822199 date=1280546903]
[/quote]

Electing not to play would not make him any less of a "competitor". Trevin will do what is best for him.
[/quote]I think we know were each other is coming from Pats..I will support him no matter what he does just like you guys did.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BaseBow" post="822267" timestamp="1280591707"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=71228.msg822257#msg822257 date=1280587242]
Trev's a competitor, my monies on what's in his gut showin up on Friday's.  I think he knows that he's a high school senior only one dang time in his life.  He's a special kid, wish nothing but the best for him.
[/quote]

[/quote]I think we know were each other is coming from Pats..I will support him no matter what he does just like you guys did.
[/quote]

Exactly!

Please do not think my comments were directed towards Trevin in any way.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="822273" timestamp="1280592982"]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=71228.msg822267#msg822267 date=1280591707]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=71228.msg822257#msg822257 date=1280587242]
Trev's a competitor, my monies on what's in his gut showin up on Friday's.  I think he knows that he's a high school senior only one dang time in his life.  He's a special kid, wish nothing but the best for him.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly!

Please do not think my comments were directed towards Trevin in any way.

[/quote]

GCMPats......Price is a GREAT kid!  Our family has a ton of respect for him as a friend, athlete and student.  I know the football decision was a difficult one, but he has his sights set on the future and I commend him for that!!  We're very proud of you, Price!

[quote name="oldsarge777" post="822260" timestamp="1280588054"]
Don't know the kid but I'll bet he'll be just like the other 99% I do know who will regret the decision 10 years down the road.  When all his buddies are telling stories about hanging out in the locker room and playing football, he'll be left out of the conversation.  Most of these decisions are short sided just like a kid who decides to work to pay for truck insurance instead of playing high school athletics.  Kids don't always know what is best for them but they have to live with the consequences down the road.  I would say the same about a kid who decides to concentrate on football and not play baseball in the spring also.  Just my opinion.  I am sure all the "fall ball" advocates will now express theirs.
[/quote]

There is a big difference between the kid who elects to work for a truck and a kid who opts not to play because he knows he has bigger things coming down the road.  High school sports will not be the apex of Price's sporting life.  

Price won't be sitting around wishing he had high school football stories - he'll be telling college baseball stories.

He made the right choice.

we thimk he's pretty special, too. Thanx for the faith in him.  [quote name="Penny" post="822199" timestamp="1280546903"]
[/quote]

I truly hope so.  I guess it really comes down to what each kid likes to do.  I'm not really sure what a "future" in baseball, football, basketball or anything else really means.  If a kid doesn't like something and decides to do something else he does like, that certainly makes sense.  If a kid likes playing one sport but decides to focus on his "future" in another sport, I don't really see the difference in that and working for truck insurance.  Actually, the truck insurance thing is more of a future.  Again, I hope this kid and every other has success in all his endeavors and lives without regrets. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83