Chester eyeing six-man football chances

Chester should let their kids play regular 11-man football. It is special and the kids have a right to enjoy it. Use the same energy yall are using for joining 6-man, into finding and encouraging kids to play 11-man football. Their is always kids that are not playing, get them out there. Chester should be able to muster up 20 kids to play 11-man football. Then just play the kids both ways like all 1A and 2A teams do. Forget all that traveling to Africa to play 6-man !!

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="821484" timestamp="1280341773"]
Chester should let their kids play regular 11-man football. It is special and the kids have a right to enjoy it. Use the same energy yall are using for joining 6-man, into finding and encouraging kids to play 11-man football. Their is always kids that are not playing, get them out there. Chester should be able to muster up 20 kids to play 11-man football. Then just play the kids both ways like all 1A and 2A teams do. Forget all that traveling to Africa to play 6-man !!
[/quote]

H-D, it is not as quite simple as that.  You see, Chester turned in a number of 59!  As I understand it, 25 of them are male.  I believe that only 15 (and by some accounts as few as 13) indicated an intent to play football this fall.  Chester is of the size where it was going to be 6-man or none at all.  If they could have fielded an 11 man team, they would have done so...the length of time they waited before opting to play six man tells me that.  Now that they have chosen to go that way for the next couple of years, we should embrace it.  It is actually fun trying to get up to speed on the nuances of the game.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="821484" timestamp="1280341773"]
[/quote]

My goodness H-D...you know so much about our community and our kids.  ???  This doesn't even deserve a response. Seriously.

[quote name="fbmom" post="821493" timestamp="1280342815"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=70754.msg821484#msg821484 date=1280341773]
[/quote]

My goodness H-D...you know so much about our community and our kids.  ???  This doesn't even deserve a response. Seriously.
[/quote] No disrespect was intended. Chester good luck in 6-man. I think yall will do well. It was only my opinion. I also grew up in a small town and there was always kids that did not go out for football, I believe because there was no communication or a positive role model pushing them. People just let them be floaters, and maybe because we already had 50 players. In Chesters case they need everyone playing ball, even the floaters. Just curious, what is Chesters population?

Guest Dwight
[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="821602" timestamp="1280364051"]
[quote author=fbmom link=topic=70754.msg821493#msg821493 date=1280342815]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=70754.msg821484#msg821484 date=1280341773]
[/quote]

[/quote] No disrespect was intended. Chester good luck in 6-man. I think yall will do well. It was only my opinion. I also grew up in a small town and there was always kids that did not go out for football, I believe because there was no communication or a positive role model pushing them. People just let them be floaters, and maybe because we already had 50 players. In Chesters case they need everyone playing ball, even the floaters. [b]Just curious, what is Chesters population?[/b]
[/quote]I believe it is 259 or 269...at least thats what the city limit sign says.... if thats what your asking.

No disrespect was intended. Chester good luck in 6-man. I think yall will do well. It was only my opinion. I also grew up in a small town and there was always kids that did not go out for football, I believe because there was no communication or a positive role model pushing them. People just let them be floaters, and maybe because we already had 50 players. In Chesters case they need everyone playing ball, even the floaters. Just curious, what is Chesters population?
[/quote]

No harm done..city limit sign: Pop 265.  At student count in Oct CISD had 59 in Hi School.  26 boys..have since lost a couple more boys.  Our athletes are encouraged to participate.  We have had excellent leadership in that respect for the past few years.  And with our new staff that bar has not been lowered in the least.  Started out with 13 dedicated to play.  Should have about 14-15 right now.  The choice to move to 6 man was a look into our future.  We will gain no more bodies with next years freshman class, basically just replacing the seniors..and will have fewer the next year and the year after that.  Right now cannot field 10 players for jr high unless we had some move in which in itself is very unlikely.  And that's dipping into the 6 grade class too.  You have to go down to 5th grade to get sizable amount of incoming freshmen which is another 4 years down the road.  So if we played 11 man this year our jr high kids would have no program.  Our hi school program would stay on edge praying for zero injuries and no mess ups on report cards.  Six man is our best option for our kids across the board at this time.  I consider it a blessing to even have this option seeing what our numbers look like the next few years.  So I hope our kids fall in love with the game as well as our fans and we all look at it as a positive thing for our kids and our community.  Optimism is always much better than pessimism.

Actually I overlooked 2 6 grade boys, so we could maybe have 12 for jr hi.  But still not a good situation to put our little guys in having all of them playing both ways the entire game

Well fbmom the key word here is (better) the kids and the community better embrace this move or they will be left without any kind of football at all. They can't look at it as some kind of lower form of football they have to do like you said and look at it as a positive thing. People need to research it, learn more about it. Did you know some 6-man teams in West Texas have turf on their fields? Look at Apple Springs they went to 6-man a while ago and they have more kids than Chester and they are still playing 6-man, they must like something about it. Not to mention once the boys learn the game they should be able to compete much better. It's going to take some time to get used to but I believe if everyone gives it a chance it will be a good thing. Chester has a coach that seems very dedicated to making this work but he is going to need the communities support. ;)

[quote name="little d" post="821886" timestamp="1280438585"]
Well fbmom the key word here is (better) the kids and the community better embrace this move or they will be left without any kind of football at all. They can't look at it as some kind of lower form of football they have to do like you said and look at it as a positive thing. People need to research it, learn more about it. Did you know some 6-man teams in West Texas have turf on their fields? Look at Apple Springs they went to 6-man a while ago and they have more kids than Chester and they are still playing 6-man, they must like something about it. Not to mention once the boys learn the game they should be able to compete much better. It's going to take some time to get used to but I believe if everyone gives it a chance it will be a good thing. Chester has a coach that seems very dedicated to making this work but he is going to need the communities support. ;)
[/quote]

little d, you have an extremely dedicated coach who has been working very hard to get the Yellow Jackets up to speed.  In fact, he has just provided me with a schedule that gives the young men a full schedule of 9, count em nine games....4 games at home, 3 neutral site games and 2 away games!

Without further adieu, the 2010 Chester Yellow Jackets Football Schedule:

[table][tr][td]Aug. 27[/td][td]Houston Mount Carmel, 7:30 p.m.[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sept. 3[/td][td] vs. Seguin Lifegate Christian, 7:30 p.m. (Bellvile)[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sept. 10[/td][td]vs. Tomball Christian Homeschool, 5:00 p.m. (Brenham)[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sept. 17[/td][td]Brazosport Christian, 7:30 p.m.[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sept. 25          [/td][td]vs. Irving Universal Academy, 7:30 p.m. (Oakwood) [/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Oct. 1[/td][td]OPEN[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Oct. 8[/td][td]Apple Springs, 7:30 p.m.[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Oct. 15[/td][td]at Karnack, 7:30 p.m.[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Oct. 23[/td][td]at Alvin Livingstone, 4:00 p.m.[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Oct. 29[/td][td]Christian Life Center Academy, 7:00 p.m.[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nov. 5[/td][td]OPEN[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

Well, guys..we are good to go.  Also have two scrimmages scheduled to get it kicked off.  Should be an exciting time!  I'm very optimistic that our community will stand behind these boys and embrace this game.  We may have a couple of die hard traditionalists that won't accept the change, but we'll get through it.  I appreciate the effort our coaches have put into this..they've done an outstanding job pulling this together.  I'm confident the boys will respond to these guys and we'll have a great time.  Two-a-days start 7am Monday!  Bring on Friday Night Lights...Bleed Purple!!! ;D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="little d" post="826634" timestamp="1282099525"]
Has anyone heard if Chester is going to have a 6-man jr high football team this year?
[/quote]

Hadn't heard anything definite, but I would imagine so.  According to a Chester ISD board member I spoke with at the scrimmage on Saturday, with the number of students that are in the "pipeline" in Chester, 6 man in going to be the future in Yellow Jacket land.

[quote name="little d" post="826634" timestamp="1282099525"]
Has anyone heard if Chester is going to have a 6-man jr high football team this year?
[/quote]

The jr hi schedule is not final to my current knowledge as of today, but we do expect to play.  Final schedule may not be ready until school starts. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder