NU to the Big 10 (Announcement Friday)

That's the story.....What effect will this have on Lamar going forward?  I know they want to go FBS.  Could they receive a bid from a larger Sun Belt or larger MWC?  Baylor or Colorado, Missouri, Iowa St., Kansas, and Kansas St. will have no home after the Big 12 is dissolved.  

With the possibility of 4 "super conferences" (Pac 16, SEC 14, BIG East/ACC, Big 16 (Big 10) ), is there now a playoff for FBS in the future.  Will the NCAA support these conferences?  

I hope Simmons and the Board of Regents are front and center for Lamar on this expansion issue if they want to go to FBS.

[url=http://www.newsok.com/report-nebraska-leaving-big-12-joining-big-ten/article/3467334]Article HERE[/url]

Well I think it would be good for LU. I would think what's left of the big 12 teams scrape the MWC CUSA and maybe WAC to create a new decent football conference. That would leave those conferences to pull up Sun Belt and FCS schools to fill those spots. An I wrong about that? Would a conference just dissolve altogether or what?

If the Big 12 replenishes then it could be good for Lamar.  But if, lets say, those three conf's merge into two larger conf's to try and keep up with "big brothers" I think that would be bad.  They'd be full with maybe the Sunbelt left to pick up somebody (which I think going back to the Sunbelt would be good for Lamar).

[quote name="UNLV" post="811118" timestamp="1276177557"]
If Big 12 dissolve, there will be little chance for LU or any FCS to move up.
If the Big 12 reload, then opportunities open up.
[/quote]

The big 12 is not likely to reload in any form or fashion that it currently looks like now. The schools that will be left after the wake of destruction from the shakeup will get with one or two of the remaining conferences and there will likely be some additions made by the SEC, to create another "super conference" the way the Pac 10 seems to be headed. If those things happen I could see the ACC being raided, the Big East being raided while the Big 10 would add several more including Notre Dame to get to 16. Maybe three "Power Conferences" with the Pac 10, Big 10 and the SEC. Probably there would be one more big conference which would consist of the "leftovers" from the fallout of the ACC and Big East, but those schools wouldn't really have any big players in their conference. I also think the Mountain West stands to gain from all of the Big 12 stuff, they could possibly grab KU, KSU, Mizzou and try to snag Boise and all of a sudden you would have a pretty solid conference. If you had Boise, TCU, BYU, Utah, and Kansas you have five programs who played in BCS bowls inthe last 2-3 years.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="811125" timestamp="1276178840"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=70405.msg811118#msg811118 date=1276177557]
[/quote]

The big 12 is not likely to reload in any form or fashion that it currently looks like now. The schools that will be left after the wake of destruction from the shakeup will get with one or two of the remaining conferences and there will likely be some additions made by the SEC, to create another "super conference" the way the Pac 10 seems to be headed. If those things happen I could see the ACC being raided, the Big East being raided while the Big 10 would add several more including Notre Dame to get to 16. Maybe three "Power Conferences" with the Pac 10, Big 10 and the SEC. Probably there would be one more big conference which would consist of the "leftovers" from the fallout of the ACC and Big East, but those schools wouldn't really have any big players in their conference. I also think the Mountain West stands to gain from all of the Big 12 stuff, they could possibly grab KU, KSU, Mizzou and try to snag Boise and all of a sudden you would have a pretty solid conference. If you had Boise, TCU, BYU, Utah, and Kansas you have five programs who played in BCS bowls inthe last 2-3 years.

[/quote]

I think the SEC will go after Miami, Florida State and Georgia Tech. Just guessing though. That would give the SEC 16 teams.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="811185" timestamp="1276193713"]
[quote author=LumberCard link=topic=70405.msg811125#msg811125 date=1276178840]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=70405.msg811118#msg811118 date=1276177557]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the SEC will go after Miami, Florida State and Georgia Tech. Just guessing though. That would give the SEC 16 teams.
[/quote]that would make perfect sense.  8)

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="811185" timestamp="1276193713"]
[/quote]

Remember the ACC is a strong Academic Conference, maybe the strongest after the Ivy. Not sure GTech would want to join the SEC who is a poor academic conference outside of Vandy. This is one of the reasons UT has steered toward the Pac10 and not the SEC. Also many folks see Miami as a thug school due to all the issues with the Football teams over the years, but it is actually a very good school. Now FSU tends to bring down the ACC in the academic areas!

[quote name="badndn" post="811514" timestamp="1276260596"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=70405.msg811185#msg811185 date=1276193713]
[/quote]

Remember the ACC is a strong Academic Conference, maybe the strongest after the Ivy. Not sure GTech would want to join the SEC who is a poor academic conference outside of Vandy. This is one of the reasons UT has steered toward the Pac10 and not the SEC. Also many folks see Miami as a thug school due to all the issues with the Football teams over the years, but it is actually a very good school. Now FSU tends to bring down the ACC in the academic areas!
[/quote]
Same could be said about Texas with all of the players getting arrested in recent years ;)

Boise State leaves the WAC and heads to Mountain West.  WAC commissioner has said there are 5 or 6 FCS teams that he is interested in as replacement. 

The windows to playing football with the big boys are getting ready to start opening, and I hope that Tubbs and Simmons are paying attention.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder