BH hires former Kingwood coach

BH hires former Kingwood coach
From sports staff reports
Baytown Sun
Published June 8, 2010
David Denny, who led Kingwood High School to the Class 5A state championship, was hired Monday night to take over as baseball coach at Barbers Hill High School.

Denny, a member of the University of Texas 1983 national championship team, retired from Kingwood in 2007 after leading the Mustangs to back-to-back state tourney appearances in 2004 and 2005.

During his 13 years as assistant and head coach at Kingwood, the Mustangs reached the regional finals five times.

As a player, he was named All-American during his years at Texas and drafted three times by the pros before signing with the Philadelphia organization.

The new baseball Head Coach is David Denny:

David Denny was born and raised in Humble by parents who were both public school educators.  He was a three-sport All-District performer in high school.  At the University of Texas he lettered on four SWC championship teams and four College World Series Teams.  In 1983, the Longhorns won the national title. Coach Denny was voted to the All SWC Team twice and an all-American team once.  He was drafted three times before signing to play professional baseball with the Philadelphia Phillies organization.

Coach Denny has coached at the University of Houston, reaching the regional championship game, Stephen F. Austin State University, Marble Falls H.S., and Elkhart H.S. He helped the Kenai Peninsula Oilers of the Alaskan Collegiate Summer League to a state championship and number one seed at the N.B.C. Championship Tournament in Wichita, Kansas. In 1997, his Houston-based summer team won the national championship for the 17-year-old division at the A.A.U. Junior Olympics.

Since 1995 he has been here at Kingwood. As an assistant he, and then Coach Gurley, helped guide the Mustangs to their only regional championship game. In 1999, his second year as head coach, the Mustangs finished tied with Baytown Sterling for the final playoff spot. Losing a one game playoff kept Kingwood from the state playoffs.  In 2004, Coach Denny guided the Mustangs to their first 30+ win season and their first state final-4 appearance.  In 2005, Coach Denny led the Mustangs to their best season ever, finishing as the 5A State Champions, a 35-6-1 record and #12 national ranking.  David Denny and his wife Kary have three children.

[quote name="4x4tx" post="810540" timestamp="1276087990"]
Good hire, a couple of buddies of mine played for Denny at KW and really liked him.  Wonder why he retired though to begin with?
[/quote]

[b]If I remember correctly[/b], he had a business opportunity that was too good to pass up.

• 2 months later...
Please do good coach cause them adults from the Hill are mean.....LMAO!!!!!
No,all BS aside I think it was a great move for the Eagles...The Hill has some awsome kids I'm pullimg for just until we play yall....Good luck this year K.L,G.L,J.S and who ever I missed.....

Guest jhamilton
David is a good hire for BH and he went into a business venture for a while. His dad Coach Denny coached in Humble for years and I think was the basketball coach. Great hire for BH.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="DaBears" post="880406" timestamp="1287486615"]
Is Barber's Hill having offseason baseball during the athletic period this year? Will the baseballers have to go to football offseason in the spring before practice?
[/quote]
They are practicing during the period now. Going to the field taking ground balls, long tossing, hitting, lifting dumbbells. The stuff a baseball team is suppose to be doing. they will be prepared this year.

Im really happy for the Hill that they are finally getting to have offseason baseball. To Dayton folks, I really feel for ya. Dayton seems to be football only right now and that sucks for those that play other sports. My suggestion is to move as I dont think DISD will change the policy any time soon.

I feel for your situation transplant but have to asked anyone in DISD if/why football is more important than other sports. There are other places out there that wouldnt let this fly. There are lots of 4a teams out there that are glad that there are a ton of schools like Dayton that dont care. Those programs enjoy going deep into the playoffs every year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder