Bridge City vs Jasper/BC wins Game 1, 10-5

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="card232425." post="806627" timestamp="1275017169"]
I would assume they would put Sowell back on the bump. but we'll just do the same thing we did to saturday as we did today! :)
[/quote]

Sowell had a bad game vs. Lufkin Hudson and then shut them down in game 2. It's gonna be interesting, Congrats Cards!!!!  ;D

Big third propels Cards past Bulldogs, 10-5

Van Wade Orange Leader

WOODVILLE — No doubt Jasper brought the crowd, the noise along with the drums but it was Bridge City Cardinal fans that heard the ball pop off their team’s bat the loudest.

Senior ace Matt Hicks went the distance in fine fashion and the Cardinals (26-6-1) used a six-run third inning to blow past the Jasper Bulldogs (31-4) 10-5 in Game One of their best-of-three Class 3A Region III semifinal series at Woodville’s Humphrey Field.

Hicks scattered five hits while striking out 11 and walking four.

The Cardinals picked up nine hits off Bulldog pitching.

Game Two of the series will be held at Nederland High School at 5 p.m. Game Three, if necessary, will follow 30 minutes after Game Two.

The bottom of the lineup produced in a big way for the Cardinals in what was a momentum-turning top of the third frame that produced six runs off six hits.

Catcher Matt Menard started it in fine fashion when he led off with a deep solo home run over the leftfield wall off Jasper starter Derek Sowell to trim the Jasper lead to 2-1.

Evan Boren, who was 2-for-4, followed with a single up the middle and Cameron Dishon reached on a bunt single. Joe Robertson then walked to load the bases.

With one out, Hicks helped himself with a hard-shot double to left that was too hot to handle at third to score two runs to give BC a 3-2 edge.

Mitchel Hubbard made it 4-2 with an RBI groundout to second that plated Robertson.

Luke Rhodes then stroked an RBI single to center to make it 5-2. Rhodes swiped second and would score on a Forrest Zoch, who went 3-for-4, single to center to up the cushion to 6-2.

The Cardinals tacked on two more runs in the top of the fifth with two outs for good measure.

Zoch placed a two-out single up the middle and Menard walked. Boren then sliced a grounder to short that was booted as Zoch was able to scoot home to score to up the lead to 7-2. With Menard at third, Boren tried to sneak over to second and while in a rundown, the Bulldogs made a throwing error and Menard sprinted in to score.

Jasper scored two runs in the bottom of the first.

Jacob Soisson drew a one-out walk, swiped second and scored off an RBI double to right by Ty Parker. Parker promptly scored on a single to left by Parker Phillips.

The Bulldogs cut into the gap with three runs in the bottom of the sixth.

Soisson had a leadoff single to left and Parker drew a walk. Sam Alvis provided two runs with a deep double to center to make it 8-4. Alvis would eventually score from third after a bunt put down by Tyler Bolton was misthrown by Menard to first as the Bulldogs made it a 8-5 contest.

BC added some insurance in the top of the seventh.

Hubbard  reached on an error and Zoch roped a double to center but Hubbard was gunned down at home on the play. Menard then hit a routine grounder to second that was booted as Zoch scored all the way from second to make it 9-5.

Boren capped the BC scoring by plating Menard with a RBI single up the middle.

Hicks had his stuff tonight, stayed at 88-90. Van wrote in above article he gave up 10 hits k'd 11, I remember just 5 hits for Jasper. Cardinals hit the ball hard all night, really put pressure on Jasper's defense.

Two of the best catchers in this part of Texas with Menard and Parker behind the plate.

Should be a battle in Nederland, I look for Sowell to start Gm 2.

I think I would rather hold Sowell back for relief.  Other than Sowell Jasper still has all its starters fresh and available.  Tyler Bolton did an amazing job coming in to finish the game.  But no telling what Coach Mixon will do.  He may start Bolton!

Guest Burkeville Chronicle
I watched this game on the internet last night. Technology is amazing! I wished they could have done that when I was in high school. Good luck to both teams!

[quote name="jdawg03" post="806767" timestamp="1275059867"]
One of the Few Highlights for Jasper from Last Night

[url=http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7261048/highlight/77397Alvis Guns Down Runner]http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7261048/highlight/77397Alvis Guns Down Runner[/url]
[/quote]

Video's not working Dawg.... Alvis' throw out was pretty good though.  But I think his next throw out was wide right?  Is that all the highlights of the game?  Was Menards bomb caught on tape?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476