Morgan Suites to enhance Lamar University athletics facilities

BEAUMONT – As Lamar University continues preparations for the return of the Cardinals to the gridiron this fall, it will add luxury suites to the growing list of first-class accommodations planned for the new football complex.  This newest addition will be named the Morgan Suites, James Simmons, president of the university announced at a news conference.

The naming is in recognition of a gift of an undisclosed amount from the Morgan Charitable Foundation on behalf of Glen and Teri Morgan, Simmons said. The gift is part of the university’s “Investing in the Future” comprehensive campaign that now totals more than $66 million toward a campaign goal of $100 million.

“Lamar University played an important role in our lives and we are honored to play a small role in making this endeavor successful,” Glen Morgan said.

“Glen Morgan’s support of Lamar athletics is a tremendous help in bringing football back to the university,” Simmons said.  “We are delighted to have the Morgan name become a permanent part of the new football complex.”

“This facility will put us on par with some of the best collegiate stadiums,” Simmons said. “Glen and Teri have made it possible for us to build these luxury suites that will be a capstone to the overall project.”

“The suites will be absolutely first rate,” said Billy Tubbs, athletics director at Lamar. “It wouldn’t be possible to build them without the Morgan’s generosity. We are very thankful for their support of Cardinal football and Lamar athletics.”

That complex already includes Provost Umphrey Stadium with the Dan F. and Sandra A. Smith Press Box overlooking the W.S. “Bud” Leonard Field. At the south end of the field, the new 54,000 square-foot Athletic Complex will encompass the former Higgins Field House. Fans will keep track of the progress of the game on the jumbo video board made possible by Education First FCU. Lamar’s team is working out on the Coach Vernon Glass Field of Champions in preparation for the 2010 season. Southland Conference play will begin in fall 2011.

The Morgan Suites will be built at the north end of the field and attached to the Montagne Center in the area beneath the university’s Red Room reception area that offers views of both the football field and basketball arena.

Seven new suites will be built and will lease for $25,000 per year with a three-year commitment, officials said.  The leases include 16 tickets to each home game and parking passes.

Each suite includes a bar with four stools overlooking two tiered rows of six seats each, a total of 16 seats. The suites will open to the front and will feature motorized windows that can be lowered as desired. Each suite includes a small refrigerator and cabinet space. Food and beverage service will be available through the university catering vendor at additional charge.

The gift continues a pattern of giving to their alma mater. In 1984, Glen Morgan made a very generous gift to establish a scholarship in his father’s name.  His support came at a time when very few alumni were making such significant gifts, said Camille Mouton, vice president for advancement.

A native of Beaumont, Morgan graduated from Lamar in 1975 with a bachelor’s degree in business, then attended South Texas School of Law, earning a juris doctorate in 1978. He was admitted to the Texas bar in 1978. He is a partner at Reaud, Morgan and Quinn in Beaumont.

Teri Morgan graduated from Lamar University in 1985 with a bachelor’s in speech pathology/audiology.  While in school, she was active in the Lamar music department and performed at football games in Cardinal Stadium. Teri currently serves on the board of Family Services of Southeast Texas and has served on the board of CASA.

In addition to his leadership of many organizations in his profession, Morgan served as a board member of the Lamar University Foundation, and is an honorary member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers’ Local 479, Beaumont Professional Firefighters Local 399, Beaumont Police Officers Association and the Texas State Building and Construction.

“The return of football after 21 years has generated incredible excitement and enthusiasm in Southeast Texas,” Simmons said. “This gift and the suites we will soon build, are icing on the cake.

“Thanks to the generosity of donors like Glen Morgan, the university is making good on its commitment to a first-class football program with state-of-the-art facilities,” Simmons said.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="798526" timestamp="1273174296"]
Great article.  Would like to see artist renderings!
[/quote]

Sorry, the artist renderings are top secret.  If they were shown to the public they might get people excited and we can't have that!!  ;D

Guest coachacola
[img]http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/lama/graphics/auto/Exterior640.gif[/img]

Hey, the refinery is gone!!  :D

This artist rendering looks really good.  There has to a panoramic view of the whole stadium somewhere.  A couple of thoughts.  It says that there are 7 suites and the inside pdf drawing on the website shows a sketch of 4 so it looks like there are 4 on the bottom, 3 in the middle and you have the red room on top so that is why the 3 levels shown in the artist drawing.  Don't know why there are only three in the middle.  There is a scoreboard on the Montagne in the North end zone so they are planning for a bowl in the South end zone.  There is plenty of room for a small bowl below the Montagne per the artist drawing in the North end zone.  Add a upper deck on the east side and some upper level suites on the west side to go along with the bowls, the Jumbotron video scoreboard and you have the makings of a pretty awesome stadium for the future.

Guest coachacola
Here's another one from the Beaumont Enterprise:

[img]http://media.beaumontenterprise.com/images/721*375/LUFOOTBALL050710_3%5B1%5D.JPG[/img]

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lamar_announces_addition_of_stadium_suites.html

[quote name="UNLV" post="798649" timestamp="1273186291"]
There is only 8 guys on the field for the blue team. I hope you don't use that style.

And why not add suites to the left and right of the suites in the imagine. More suites, more money....
[/quote]

Because they're probably making sure they're going to sale consistently first. $25,000 is a lot of money and they know that.

I would like to see at least the bottom row of suites have outdoor seating, like two or three rows of seating, so those people in the suites can enjoy the weather, crowd noise and general ambiance of a beautiful fall Saturday.  Guess they could always do it in the future.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="time2time" post="798707" timestamp="1273193773"]
I would like to see at least the bottom row of suites have outdoor seating, like two or three rows of seating, so those people in the suites can enjoy the weather, crowd noise and general ambiance of a beautiful fall Saturday.  Guess they could always do it in the future.
[/quote]

I think I read that the windows do open up.

[quote name="time2time" post="798707" timestamp="1273193773"]
[/quote]
Says clearly in the article that "The suites will open to the front and will feature motorized windows that can be lowered as desired."

Guest coachacola
Is an upper deck next?

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4586109727_5957ea6fe8.jpg[/img]

Lamar does want to go FBS in the future:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/LU_suites_part_of_plan_for_run_toward_bowl_game.html

[quote name="coachacola" post="798600" timestamp="1273180225"]
[img]http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/lama/graphics/auto/Exterior640.gif[/img]

Hey, the refinery is gone!!  :D
[/quote]

They're going to use some of the money to buy a 2 mile wide canvas with Hill Country scenery painted on it that they can hang up in front of the railroad tracks.  ;D

Very good coach.  I like your your art work.  I also have to give Simmons and Tubbs credit.  They are the most ambitious and forward thinkers that Lamar has had in my 32 years of being a student and fan of LU.  What a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!  To heck with all the naysayers that try to hold Lamar back with their negative and small thinking.  Lamar is not going to "win the lottery" and then be able to do big things.  It will only happen with planning, hard work, and an ambitious vision to move to the next level.  Kudos to Simmons and Tubbs for having the Kahuna's to move LU forward.  It can happen here at Lamar and here in Beaumont!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="798958" timestamp="1273242209"]
Very good coach.  I like your your art work.  I also have to give Simmons and Tubbs credit.  They are the most ambitious and forward thinkers that Lamar has had in my 32 years of being a student and fan of LU.  What a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!  To heck with all the naysayers that try to hold Lamar back with their negative and small thinking.  Lamar is not going to "win the lottery" and then be able to do big things.  It will only happen with planning, hard work, and an ambitious vision to move to the next level.  Kudos to Simmons and Tubbs for having the Kahuna's to move LU forward.  It can happen here at Lamar and here in Beaumont!
[/quote]Tubbs and Simmons are so unlike many in this area, especially Jefferson County leaders.

[quote name="UNLV" post="799019" timestamp="1273248535"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=69451.msg798958#msg798958 date=1273242209]
[/quote]Tubbs and Simmons are so unlike many in this area, especially Jefferson County leaders.
[/quote]

Because they don't do what's best for them, they do what's best for the school and the students.  Simmons has played his cards right in every aspect of bringing Lamar football back.  He raised teachers salaries before he lifted a finger on this football program.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83