GCM 4 BH 2 Final / comments

You would like to set up right over the middle, but the catchers head is in the way, so I would set up just over the catchers shoulder(depending on the batter) with a clear view to the outside corner with my eye level even with the top of the strike zone (again that depends on the batter).  I'm sure other guys do it different....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GMC did what they had to do, 2 out double, solo HR, another big hit, BH did not get what they needed when they had a chance.  We played small ball against Crosby and it paid off, but with bases loaded 0 outs and you have 3,4,5 hitters coming to the plate, 3 hole hit a HR earlier,(K'd)  1 out,  4 hole is hitting over .400 for the season and (Did get a good hit,RBI) 5 hole hitting close to .400, had come through with clutch RBI's all season, (K'd) 2 outs, then 6 hole comes up 2 outs ,has a base hit earlier, really cannot do anything but swing away, can't lay down a sac bunt now. K'd. Game over.   We watched too many pitches from GCMs pitching.  Umpire might have called a few strikes that were balls, but there were some pitches right down the pipe that were watched.  Butler is too good to let him get ahead in the count, you have to be ready to hit the first strike he throws.  Good Luck GCM. It's a long time until next year for the Hill.  BH has a good looking future with almost it's entire starting line-up coming back.  Hats off to Tyler Lyday, what a great High School player , BH baseball will miss him and well as all of the srs.  Tyler will play some where at the next level, good luck.

Guest charliebrown
LOL ... Czerwonka .... Here we come .... Your Outfield saved you last time ... Our boys were hoping we'd see you again!

hey Eagle Fan!!! Looks like Czerwonka came out and did his job once again!!!  & so did our defense!!!!  Your boys got there wish they did see him again... and he sent them home...

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BH0088" post="797664" timestamp="1272986950"]

GMC did what they had to do, 2 out double, solo HR, another big hit, BH did not get what they needed when they had a chance.  We played small ball against Crosby and it paid off, but with bases loaded 0 outs and you have 3,4,5 hitters coming to the plate, 3 hole hit a HR earlier,(K'd)  1 out,  4 hole is hitting over .400 for the season and (Did get a good hit,RBI) 5 hole hitting close to .400, had come through with clutch RBI's all season, (K'd) 2 outs, then 6 hole comes up 2 outs ,has a base hit earlier, really cannot do anything but swing away. K'd. Game over.   Watched too many pitches, have to want it.  Umpire might have called a few strikes that were balls, but there were some pitches right down the pipe that were watched.  Butler is too good to let him get ahead in the count, have to be ready to hit the first strike he throws.  Good Luck GCM, I guess our battle cry will be wait till next year.  a long time until then.
[/quote]

Next year will be here before you know it. Barbers Hill has a very bright future with the pitching they will have on hand.

It was very emotional to see a very close friend of our family play his last high school game.

My son's first t-ball coach was Gerald McDonald for the Gators of Highlands LL. There was this one kid on the team that stood out like no other. Blayne McDonald would catch and field everything that came his way. His knowledge of the game was remarkable for an 8 yr old. We had a wonderful time that year and became good friends with the McDonald family through baseball. The McDonald's would eventually move from Highlands and wound up in Barbers Hill.

That scrappy little 8 yr old has turned into a fine young man. He played his heart out last night and we knew that if we hit the ball to 3rd, it was an automatic out. I hope he will be given the opportunity to play baseball at the next level. For what it's worth, I would gladly recommend him to any school around.

Best of Luck Blanche!  ;) Keep your chin up!

[quote name="GCMPats" post="797633" timestamp="1272978155"]

I have a question for those "umpires" out there. When you set up behind the catcher, are you supposed to be directly behind him or "peeking" over the shoulder? That guy would set up so far to the batter's side (right or left) that there is no way he could see the outter half of the plate. Most of those outside called strikes (and missed called strikes) had to be guesses.

Really do not think the last pitch was a called strike, I think he called him out on the check swing.

[/quote]

So the guy was set up a few inches to far one way or the other? You are saying you had a better angle from a few hundred FEET away in the bleachers.  ??? ??? ??? I don't doubt the guy was bad, but I just doubt it had to do with his set up behind the catcher. Since it can be done effectively from the bleachers a few inches shouldn't matter.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="3amagic" post="797683" timestamp="1272990074"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=69286.msg797633#msg797633 date=1272978155]

I have a question for those "umpires" out there. When you set up behind the catcher, are you supposed to be directly behind him or "peeking" over the shoulder? That guy would set up so far to the batter's side (right or left) that there is no way he could see the outter half of the plate. Most of those outside called strikes (and missed called strikes) had to be guesses.

Really do not think the last pitch was a called strike, I think he called him out on the check swing.

[/quote]

So the guy was set up a few inches to far one way or the other? You are saying you had a better angle from a few hundred FEET away in the bleachers.  ??? ??? ??? I don't doubt the guy was bad, but I just doubt it had to do with his set up behind the catcher. Since it can be done effectively from the bleachers a few inches shouldn't matter.
[/quote]

I have the eye-sight of a owl! And remember: The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night!

Heck, my team won. I thought he did a great job!

Yeah, there were a few questionable calls behind the plate both ways.  Bottom line is Czerwonka pitched a great game, we watched too many good pitches and GCM got it done when it counted.  I'd also like to point out the stellar play by the kid behind the plate, especailly in the 7th.  3 huge blocks well off the dish with bases loaded.

Congrats GCM and good luck.

Guest GCMPats
Just imagine how crazy things would have gotten if the batter would have run to first on the dropped third strike to end the game and the runner at 3rd would have scored. Catcher never made a play on the ball and I can only assume the batter "conceded" the out by not running (if that is possible in high school). I can still see that ball sitting on the ground and thinking "Uh oh, this is not going to be good!"

[quote name="GCMPats" post="797951" timestamp="1273073604"]
Just imagine how crazy things would have gotten if the batter would have run to first on the dropped third strike to end the game and the runner at 3rd would have scored. Catcher never made a play on the ball and I can only assume the batter "conceded" the out by not running (if that is possible in high school). I can still see that ball sitting on the ground and thinking "Uh oh, this is not going to be good!"

[/quote]

His first base coach was going CRAZY trying to get him to run to first. 

That was a key mistake no doubt about it. The coach waving frantically for him to run to first. I thought the biggest mental error came in the first when the BH batter missed a hit and run sign---left the base runner out to dry. A very exciting game to watch---congrats to GCM.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami