Ben Wells

[quote name="Spanky" post="792850" timestamp="1271862047"]
See it announced out of Austin this morning that Ben Wells will be transferring at the end of the spring semester.  Any chance he might come back to Lamar? 
[/quote]

It'd be great, but doubtful. Ben has the ability to play in most secondaries in the nation, he just happened to be playing in one of the best in the nation which is what made him second string. Time will tell though.

Guest coachacola
He'll have two years left to play.  Does he want to sit out a year and play at another BCS school or does he want to play right away at the FCS level?

[quote name="coachacola" post="792864" timestamp="1271863359"]
He'll have two years left to play.  Does he want to sit out a year and play at another BCS school or does he want to play right away at the FCS level?
[/quote]

That's a tough decision. Because I'm sure you could ask anyone that has seen him play, he has the size, speed, and ability to have an NFL career.. It's just putting all those things together and playing every down of every game. He can't do that at UT. He could go to another and sit out a year and get stronger and more agile, or come to Lamar and finish up his two years and be done.. It's tough to move from this level to the NFL. It happens, but not very often at all.

[quote name="coachacola" post="792864" timestamp="1271863359"]
[/quote]  He red-shirted in 2008.  Unless that was a medical redshirt his options are two years at an FCS school (or lower) or one year at an FBS school.

I think typically with all the scouting done now if your good enough to get drafted at either D1 level they will find you. Either drafting you or free agent signing. Good chance IMO if Ben comes here and has 2 productive all conference years which he is more than capable of having then he will have a real shot at continuing his career at the next level.

[quote name="badndn" post="792928" timestamp="1271867771"]
Fact is the number of FCS draftees compared to FBS is crazy low.

In 2008 24 FCS Draftees
In 2009 13 FCS Draftees

Over 250 players drafted.
[/quote]

I think part of this is because of all the high school scouting done now. Fewer and fewer good players fall through the cracks to FCS. I would like to see how many of those players were transfers from big FBS schools. My point is if Ben comes to LU he will still have a chance to go pro if he works hard.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="792938" timestamp="1271868413"]
.... I would like to see how many of those players were transfers from big FBS schools. My point is if Ben comes to LU he will still have a chance to go pro if he works hard.
[/quote]
I should have stated my point as plainly as you just did instead of illistrating with the Bomar reference and with the old LU reference, only one of the four that I know was drafted was Shavers ...  he wouldn't necessarily be "done" if he isn't drafted - he would come out better but not necessarily done.

Guest coachacola
From Bob West:

[quote]Lamar football coach Ray Woodard should have a reasonable chance to add a former Port Arthur News Super Teamer to his defensive backfield before practice opens next fall. Ozen ex Ben Wells, unhappy with his playing time at the University of Texas, has been given a release by the Longhorns and his looking to transfer. A sophomore who has already redshirted, Wells can play immediately if he transfers to a 1-AA school. [b]What should give Woodard an inside track is the fact Wells’ mother works for Lamar.[/b][/quote]

[i]I'm sure TexasTerror will chime in saying that Bob West should know that Lamar is a FCS school, not a I-AA school.  :D[/i]

http://panews.com/sportsbobwest/x1687723394/Earl-Thomas-joins-select-fraternity-of-first-rounders

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nexax
    Newest Member
    nexax