A First for BH - Spring Football

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="HillGuy" post="790060" timestamp="1271252394"]
BH will have Spring football practice for the first time in history (I think!) beginning April 30.
[/quote]

Will they require baseball players to attend the practices? I know Kigwood Park was hurt last year when their starting pitcher was injured during Spring practice.

Historically we have not had a large number of players go both ways.  There were a few (McWilliams, Ponder, etc) but not a whole lot.  I like it.  I think it helps to get the bugs out early and while things are still fresh in their minds.  Not to mention it's hard to focus on what your doing when your trying not to have a heat stroke in August.  One part of BH's success has been conditioning.  Hopefully the early start will help to enhance the already good conditioning into the summer.  Being a small 4A school, players will have to play more than those bigger schools.

Great Move Coach! 

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="790669" timestamp="1271357589"]
Maybe we can get a tunnel to run through with the new practice???????????????????
[/quote]

Just wash all the dust off the one you have already.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BHtheHill" post="790742" timestamp="1271364515"]
The tunnell has already been purchased. You probably can see it on graduation night, the seniors are thinking about walking through it for the graduation night.
[/quote]

The tunnel has been in storage for years.Someone donated it a long time ago.

Coach Price told his team that they did not need a tunnel to win.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="790139" timestamp="1271262994"]
[quote author=HillGuy link=topic=68611.msg790060#msg790060 date=1271252394]
BH will have Spring football practice for the first time in history (I think!) beginning April 30.
[/quote]

Will they require baseball players to attend the practices? I know Kigwood Park was hurt last year when their starting pitcher was injured during Spring practice.
[/quote]
i would hope Gage would let the players decide then tell the baseball players who don't come to screw off.

Hey GCMPat if there is  an old tunnell (and there isin't) then its been in moth ball storage for at least 15years and probably has so many holes that only you could keep it blown up with all the hot air you blowing cause you are full of it. I repeat a brand new one  has just been ordered.

hope coach gage can have spring practice and get a good look at everyone.  if he needs help, i am sure all the fans will be available to give their input, from offense to defense and quarterback to linebacker.  he just thnks he has the experience and ability to coach, which he does.  i would hope he has no help from outsiders, but that is bh.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="790751" timestamp="1271367936"]
[quote author=BHtheHill link=topic=68611.msg790742#msg790742 date=1271364515]
The tunnell has already been purchased. You probably can see it on graduation night, the seniors are thinking about walking through it for the graduation night.
[/quote]

[/quote]

He should have tried the tunnel the last two years anyway. Nothing else was working. ;D

[quote name="MHS32" post="790908" timestamp="1271395777"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=68611.msg790751#msg790751 date=1271367936]
[quote author=BHtheHill link=topic=68611.msg790742#msg790742 date=1271364515]
[/quote]

[/quote]

or coaching..........  ;D

He should have tried the tunnel the last two years anyway. Nothing else was working. ;D
[/quote]

[quote name="SKINS" post="790861" timestamp="1271387235"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=68611.msg790139#msg790139 date=1271262994]
[quote author=HillGuy link=topic=68611.msg790060#msg790060 date=1271252394]
[/quote]

[/quote]
i would hope Gage would let the players decide then tell the baseball players who don't come to screw off.
[/quote]

dumb.

I'm not sure spring ball is all that helpful...but if that's what he wants to do, then have at it.

I am glad we are getting a tunnel, now we can be exactly like every other team we play...hope we have the smoke to go with it...this should inprove our proformance dramatically...after all, who doesn't get excited about running through a tunnel? Really, this could be the turning point in our program.

Guest Bobcat
Spring Ball is going to be good, especially putting in a whole new system. Want to see what you have and what to work with being here for the first year.

The only draw back that I see of spring ball is you lose one scrimmage and start 2-a-days a week later, if you call it 2-a-days anymore - (one long morning practice). But you do gain 18 or so (not sure if this number is correct?) practices in the spring.

By the way, when is the turf coming????
Come'on parents, start calling the board members and sup to get this rolling....there here to serve the kids. Last year vs Crosby and GCM our field was an embarresment.

I have wanted to get turf for a long time, but have really changed my opinion of what should come first after talking to several coaches (very successful ones  :D ).  While a turf field looks great, its going to cost about $1.5 mil to put in.  And its going to get played on by our boys FIVE TIMES per year.  Yes, we might get some playoff game revenue, but that will be limited.

What I see as the most cost effective way to actually make our whole sports program more successful is to build an indoor training facility.  With the amount of rain, lightning and other inclement weather we have on the Gulf Coast, having a place to actually practice instead of walking through plays in the gym or missing practice time all together seems like a huge benefit compared to having a turf field just to play games on.  PLUS it could be used for other sports such as baseball and softball for the same conditions.  Having an indoor practice field would give us a great competitive advantage over most schools that don't have one.  Having a turf outdoor field just makes us like everyone else.  Maybe we will have both one day, but I vote for the indoor facility FIRST.

Guest Bobcat
Good point HillGuy, indoor facility would be great and much needed, not just for football but if built right could be used by baseball, softball, track, cross-country and golf. Where a majority of our kids could get some use out of it. But the key is building it right, put a 2 or 3 lane track in it, batting cages, another weight room and something the golf kids could get some use. Not many schools around here have one. Not that I know of? Hopefully we will have both one day, we can afford it (indoor facility and turf). Rumor has it the new press-box was not built very good, looks good on the outside but problems in the inside? But I'm sure it's getting the job done, with the suite it has in it to keep the sup, board members and adminstrators dry when its raining ;D ;D ;D while our kids play on a terrible field when it gets muddy.

You also have to consider how many games are played at the main stadium. Not just the varsity, you have the fresh A/B, soph and JV teams on Thursday night. Also you have the junior high on Tuesday nights. That's a lot of wear and tear on the game field. I know they built the aux field a couple of years ago but imo not very good set-up. Where's the restrooms, pressbox and concession??? All missing. Real hard to accodamate for actual games but set-up perfect to have for football practice and track practice. If it was a basketball or FFA facility it would have been taken care of right. ;D ;D ;D You ever notice how big the restrooms are in the fieldhouse compared to the football stadium and baseball/softball facilty. Poor planning. I believe they had 2 urinals and 1 toilet at the football stadium on the home side up till last year, same at the baseball/softball complex. I'm glad we have a nice basketall gym and FFA facilities but lets do the same for football, baseball, softball and other sports.

Every year we end up playing in the elements, might want to practice in them as well.  Turf would help in that the field would not turn into mud wrestling like against GCM last year.  Not against a in-door facility, but let's get turf and larger visitor stands first.  If you do both, your going to get additional playoff games, which will help to bring in additiona revenue. 

Hey, I have an idea.  Let's build a new stadium like is being built in Dallas for Allen-High.  It's only 60-million!

[url=http://www.allenisd.org/20061061015583133/lib/20061061015583133/Bond%20Project%20Artwork-Files/Stadium%20Update.pdf]www.allenisd.org/20061061015583133/lib/20061061015583133/Bond%20Project%20Artwork-Files/Stadium%20Update.pdf [/url]   

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="791913" timestamp="1271685685"]
Every year we end up playing in the elements, might want to practice in them as well.  Turf would help in that the field would not turn into mud wrestling like against GCM last year.  Not against a in-door facility, but let's get turf and larger visitor stands first.  If you do both, your going to get additional playoff games, which will help to bring in additiona revenue. 

Hey, I have an idea.  Let's build a new stadium like is being built in Dallas for Allen-High.  It's only 60-million!

[url=http://www.allenisd.org/20061061015583133/lib/20061061015583133/Bond%20Project%20Artwork-Files/Stadium%20Update.pdf]www.allenisd.org/20061061015583133/lib/20061061015583133/Bond%20Project%20Artwork-Files/Stadium%20Update.pdf [/url]   
[/quote]

The "mud" did not seem to slow GCM down last year. Turf or not, BH does not have the team speed of most area 4A's.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="791915" timestamp="1271685959"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=68611.msg791913#msg791913 date=1271685685]

[/quote]

The "mud" did not seem to slow GCM down last year. Turf or not, BH does not have the team speed of most area 4A's.
[/quote]

See that's not fair.  You had a midget running the ball and was using that "pig and a poke" play.......  ;D  I hear the new apartment complex on Eagle Drive has a great workout facility, should improve our team speed......  ;) ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83