Down To The Last Second..

Guest Ozen

Ozens 1st Varsity victory in 1998 was the most exciting last second game I've ever played in or witnessed. We beat Houston Weatley on the last play of the game on a (post and zip) pass play from Terrance Matthews to Errick Lewis with no time remaining and the crowd went crazy.. Fans ran out onto the field people were coming from every where.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1993 Bi-district playoff game: Cameron Yoemen vs Mexia Blackcats in Gatesville.  These two teams had a little history that year.  (Played in Mexia, the first game of the year.  Cameron comes away with a 20-14 win, thanks to a Mexia fumble on the goal line.)  There was a lot of talk, from both sides, through the media about the outcome of this playoff game.  Mexia made comments about, "they (Cameron) got lucky in the first game."  "We are going for the throats this time."  Cameron was being Cameron.  "We will play hard and see what happens."  Here's how the game ended.  The Yoemen kicked a field goal, in the 4th quarter, to tie the game at 12.  Mexia has the ball on the the positive 21 yard line.  4th and 1, 12 seconds left.  No time outs for either team.  The Blackcats need one yard to get the penetration that would tie it up and give them a victory by first downs.  (the second tie breaker)  They run off left tackle and the ball carrier it tackled by the defensive end.  Players are gathering around as the referee's spot the ball.  Too close to call, out come the chains.  The chains are stretched, short by 2 inches.  The Yoemen go crazy.  Game ends 12-12 and the Yoemen advance on penetrations.  That's one game I will never forget.  Mexia was huge and ran the wishbone.  Very physical game that night.

I was there that night in uniform also.  Hardest I have ever been hit by anything was on kickoff team that night.  Great game!

Guest EagleFan01

Here is one from way back when!!! Tell me if any of you guys remember this one... It was the quarterfinals i believe in 1989 Newton and Mexia.... We were down by 7 with like a minute or less left don't really remember the time left, we scored and we lined up for the extra point and Jesse Watson was the kicker for Newton at the time and very good kicker at that... He kicked the extra point and everyone on Newton's side we nuts cause it sured looked good from where we were sitting but the officials came up and said no good... What made it so bad was that everyone on Mexia's side thought it was good too so I don't know what the ref's seen but everyone else seen it split the up rights,,,,, anyways we lost by 1 and mexia went on the win the state title that year.... What made it so bad was we would have won the game on penetration and we possibly could have went on to win that state title.... We will never know will we?????? We had a good team that year Matthew Mobley was the Quarterback,,, but here is a trivia question can anyone out there tell me who was the the starting tailbacks that year?

vidor nederland game this year was down to the last second......the big stop on mosely at vidors 1 yrd like.....put it in the books.....vidor 28-24......and vidor scored 2 touch downs with 1:35 left in the game losin 24-14 and came back.....best game i have ever seen

::)

I don't remember anyone being kicked out of that Dustin Long at WO-S game either. I thought Locks was long gone, and Gayron certainly was never kicked out of a game. It was a great game, but no one was ejected. It was close, but certainly not controversial.

SFA versus Barbers Hill.  Eric Alexander goes down in the final minutes of regulation.  Freshman Chip Laurent takes over at QB.  The fourth overtime we held the Hill scoreless.  Our possession started bad and got progressively worse.

We faced fourth down from our own 40.  Not many plays for this so George says throw it deep.  Chip threw and Curtis caught it and raced into the endzone for the victory.

EC vs. HJ...HJ was down by 19 in the second half and slowly pushed back the whole 2nd half..... the go ahead TD was scored with two minutes left on the clock...EC started there drive.... on the 3rd down play HJ's FS makes a one handed interception to seal the game..HJ only needs to run a couple of plays and the game is over...the first to plays for HJ were 20 plus yards and on the third play HJ's QB funbles and turns the ball over...EC throws the ball to the 1yd line and scores the winning TD with 17 secs on the clock!! Heart Breaker for HJ Emotional rollercoaster for both teams...it was a great game..

Oh, the pain...  I figured I'd throw the 98 write-up out, but to no avail.  Actually, you're right -- the 99 game is where we lost to Lincoln 10-6, and I remember the 4th quarter vividly.   :cry:

You're right about 98, though.  The Stangs finished 10-1, losing to Silsbee in the first round of the playoffs in Memorial Stadium in what was one of the biggest upsets in the state that year.

That was classic                                                                       

SFA versus Barbers Hill.  Eric Alexander goes down in the final minutes of regulation.  Freshman Chip Laurent takes over at QB.  The fourth overtime we held the Hill scoreless.  Our possession started bad and got progressively worse.

We faced fourth down from our own 40.  Not many plays for this so George says throw it deep.  Chip threw and Curtis caught it and raced into the endzone for the victory.

I remember watching that game, they replayed that one play over and over and over again.  ;D

Guest tigersvoice

Silsbee beat Carthage at Conroe after the WO-S game.  Played a "Perfect" game in the Dome against El Campo but should have saved it for LaMarque.  The expression is still valid in Region III football: 

the road to State goes through LaMarque.

• 1 month later...

EC vs. HJ...HJ was down by 19 in the second half and slowly pushed back the whole 2nd half..... the go ahead TD was scored with two minutes left on the clock...EC started there drive.... on the 3rd down play HJ's FS makes a one handed interception to seal the game..HJ only needs to run a couple of plays and the game is over...the first to plays for HJ were 20 plus yards and on the third play HJ's QB funbles and turns the ball over...EC throws the ball to the 1yd line and scores the winning TD with 17 secs on the clock!! Heart Breaker for HJ Emotional rollercoaster for both teams...it was a great game..

I remember that one! What a 2nd half.

Guest 87CRU79

Personally as a player and a fan, 2005 when Friendswood played at Nederland, the Dogs win in 2OT. Friendswood controlled most of the game, and Nederland makes a surge at the end of the game to send it to overtime. As most of regulation, Friendswood domniates the first OT, but in the second OT Jace Stukey forces a fumble and Dravantti Johnson recovers it. Fans and players rush the field, it was pretty magical. I also think it was Nederland's last game before the Hurricane.

Guest DickVitale

Killeen Harker Heights vs Ozen, 2000, Area Round playoffs....Ozen went up 6 with 28 seconds left.  Harker Heights drives from their own 15, and threw a bullet through the middle of Ozen's COVER 2 defense into the end zone as time expires then kicks the extra point with 0:00 on the clock to win 28-27..In Pasadena ISD stadium in freezing, rainy weather.  That was Coach Arthur Louis' last game at Ozen.  I bet they wish they would have begged him to stay now! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476