Kelly Winter Classic girls tournament results(2nd Day)

watash

Vidor            1
PA Memorial   1

Hardin Jefferson        0
Galveston O'Connell   0

West Brook    2
Silsbee          0

PNG                   6
Katy Pope John    0

Kelly                      8
Bay Area Christian    0

Hampshire Fannett     5
Liberty                     0

Fort Worth Arlington Heights    5
Lumberton                            0

Katy Pope John         6
Bay Area Christian     0

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="741463" timestamp="1263088926"]
I was kind of expecting/hoping Kelly would win it all.  Are the Kelly fans really satisfied with runner-up?
[/quote]

You should know more about that after the Richardson game last year.  How does it feel to be runner-up?

I was responding to the post saying that it sounded like Kelly did a great job.  And, I may be way off here, but I do not generally think that the Kelly Winter Classic is on a par with the UIL State Championship, so I do not accept your analogy.  However, to answer your question, it makes one wish we had Kelly's coach as coach of the Lady Mustangs!  Then, we would have won imo.

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="741663" timestamp="1263127922"]
I was responding to the post saying that it sounded like Kelly did a great job.  And, I may be way off here, but I do not generally think that the Kelly Winter Classic is on a par with the UIL State Championship, so I do not accept your analogy.  However, to answer your question, it makes one wish we had Kelly's coach as coach of the Lady Mustangs!  Then, we would have won imo.
[/quote]

You were picking at Kelly, as usual.  However, you still seem awful proud of your runner up finish last year, and would probably say 'great job, Mustangs".(which it was)    I don't see much difference.    And what makes you think that one poster speaks for all "Kelly fans"?

You were right about one thing;  You are way off.   

FF
FWAH is a 4A school like yours so, in that respect, we were proud of the way our squad with no seniors competed against a much larger program. Kelly had several opportunities which it did not convert. FWAH had some talented players and was the better team yesterday even if it took two overtimes. I think it is fair to say the teams were evernly matched. My guess is that on the bus ride home FWAH was thinking they got all they wanted in 96 minutes of soccer. Not quite sure how good FWAH is at the 4A level. They play Coppell on Feb. 2nd which will give some comparison measure.

I don't know very many true competitiors who are ever satisfied with a loss.

[quote name="westend1" post="741694" timestamp="1263139235"]

You were picking at Kelly, as usual.   However, you still seem awful proud of your runner up finish last year, and would probably say 'great job, Mustangs".(which it was)    I don't see much difference.    And what makes you think that one poster speaks for all "Kelly fans"?

You were right about one thing;   You are way off.   
[/quote]

As usual, WrongEnd, you are mistaken!  I have done nothing but praise Kelly.  I simply thought it odd that someone would say great job after a loss, and not knowing FWAH, thought I would ask if they were satisifed with that result.  You obviously have issues with your team (whatever team that is), and that is sad -- but, hey, at least you are a student of the Lady Mustangs, so there is hope for you.

And so long as being "way off" means being far different from you, then I am happy to be way off.

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="741799" timestamp="1263158208"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64527.msg741694#msg741694 date=1263139235]

You were picking at Kelly, as usual.   However, you still seem awful proud of your runner up finish last year, and would probably say 'great job, Mustangs".(which it was)    I don't see much difference.    And what makes you think that one poster speaks for all "Kelly fans"?

You were right about one thing;   You are way off.   
[/quote]

As usual, WrongEnd, you are mistaken!  I have done nothing but praise Kelly.  I simply thought it odd that someone would say great job after a loss, and not knowing FWAH, thought I would ask if they were satisifed with that result.  You obviously have issues with your team (whatever team that is), and that is sad -- but, hey, at least you are a student of the Lady Mustangs, so there is hope for you.

And so long as being "way off" means being far different from you, then I am happy to be way off.
[/quote]

LOL!    Good job FF.  You snuck in a little name calling, somewhat like my 7 year old niece.  I still want to know if you were proud of your girls after their 2nd place finish.  Did you say "great job" after a loss? 

I thought FF's post was complimentary of Kelly.  While FWAH is a 4a school, they don't really get to advance much in UIL.  The road to Region  I is tougher than Region III.  Being a North Texas school, I thought they were blahh.  I expected more from them.  To the Kelly supporters, (I'm a closet supporter :)) you can't use the excuse that Kelly has a smaller enrollment.  Kelly girls are "privileged".  Look at your Varsity roster and compare it with Central or Ozen, both 4a schools.  Kelly is stacked with ODP, PL, D1, and D2 players, the other 2, not so much, they make do with what they have, zero club experience.  Kelly's coach is good, I'm not taking anything away from her, but it's not that hard to have a winning squad with that talented group of players.  

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="741386" timestamp="1263076202"]
GOLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Arlington Heights  1
Kelly  0  F-2OT

BLUE CHAMPIONSHIP
PA Memorial  1
Hardin-Jefferson  0  F
[/quote]

were there two tourneys going on at once, or was the blue championship a consolation bracket?  also, who did HJ beat to get there?

[quote name="westend1" post="741812" timestamp="1263160326"]
Good job FF.  You snuck in a little name calling, somewhat like my 7 year old niece.   I still want to know if you were proud of your girls after their 2nd place finish.   Did you say "great job" after a loss?  
[/quote]

Being proud of a team that makes it the state championships is different from thinking they did a "great job" in a particular game.  So, yes I was very proud of the girls for making it that far (for the 4th year in a row).  But no, I did not think they did a "great job" in the Pearce game.  

[quote name="bullets13" post="741833" timestamp="1263162882"]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=64527.msg741386#msg741386 date=1263076202]
GOLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Arlington Heights  1
Kelly  0  F-2OT

BLUE CHAMPIONSHIP
PA Memorial  1
Hardin-Jefferson  0  F
[/quote]

were there two tourneys going on at once, or was the blue championship a consolation bracket?  also, who did HJ beat to get there?
[/quote]

There were two tiers of competitors. ( Gold and Blue)
With two eventual champions. I thought it was a nice touch this year.

HJ played in a bracket including, Kelly JV (Bridge City replacement) Galveston O'Connell and Ozen. HJ was high point and played the High point from the other 4 team bracket.

[quote name="sharkfutbol" post="741442" timestamp="1263086730"]
wow great job Kelly ladies.  Sounds like a great weekend

[/quote]

I take this as a sincere compliment... Thank you sharkfutbol.

The fact is we put together the best from the triangle that would attend... and came out near the top. Beaten by a team from North Texas, not shabby.

If your team (where ever you are is better. bring em.. help us build this tournament(3rd annual 2011) for the Triangle.... so our girls do not have to travel as often to find good competition. 8)

[quote name="rip2506" post="741997" timestamp="1263175044"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=64527.msg741833#msg741833 date=1263162882]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=64527.msg741386#msg741386 date=1263076202]
GOLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Arlington Heights  1
Kelly  0  F-2OT

BLUE CHAMPIONSHIP
PA Memorial  1
Hardin-Jefferson  0  F
[/quote]

[/quote]

There were two tiers of competitors. ( Gold and Blue)
With two eventual champions. I thought it was a nice touch this year.

HJ played in a bracket including, Kelly JV (Bridge City replacement) Galveston O'Connell and Ozen. HJ was high point and played the High point from the other 4 team bracket.
[/quote]

thanks.

Yes, Kelly is currently blessed with a number of girls who have had the parent support and opportunity to develop in youth soccer. Nevertheless, 2 years ago they had 21 girls in the entire school try out for the team. West Brook, for instance, typically has 40 to 60 girls tryout and draws from the same youth talent pool. Kelly's enrollment would make them a 2A UIL school. It is not an excuse just a fact that they are probably the best team in Souteast Texas with no seniors on the squad. I will stick with my statement that they can beat many 4A and 5A squads across the state. Of course, when they play schools with 4 to 10 times the enrollment from the larger cities, with more of the select type players you describe in their programs, they will expectedly be at a talent disadvantage. Again, not an excuse just a fact. No one is claiming they would be a top tier 4A or 5A school. Friendswood is one of those. A close loss to a moderately successful 4A FWAH demonstrates this point. The same is true for any 2A size school regardless of the sport.
Kelly's coach is great. She is a knowledgable, steady Christian influence on the girls but I do agree that talent matters more than coaching in any sport. Bet I could win a bunch of games coaching the Yates boys basketball team.

HAHA... Yes I may could win a game or two with Yates.  Like that.  I believe that Kellys girls would make it into the playoffs fairly deep if they were a 4A school. However I disagree that "anyone" could take a team with alot of Talent and win.  Far off base. Just look at the US Natl Basketball team a few years back, USA baseball team in the last few years and say Englands Mens National Team. All were loaded with the best their nations have and struggled in their pools.  Keeping the talent going the rite direction and making sure they remember their place in the TEAM is very difficult. Add their personal problems (grades, boyfriends, girlfriends, homework and habits away from the field) add a bigger and more difficult problem for the youngsters..  It isnt easy with grown men and women  whose job is their sport and even more difficult with young men and women, who have so much more stress in the lives than just winning or losing.  Keeping them focused is quite the challenge. But great fun none the less.  I have done club for a bunch of years.  Difference in high school and club.  Club you pick the BEST kids and they are there because they  want to play. They came and tried out for the team and you have the luck of not picking players that arent as good and not really wanting to do what the coach wants. Then schools like Kelly have 30 to 35 kids come out for JV and Varsity (in a good year) and then you take them all and work with them, teach them, and develeop them into their place on the TEAM. However small it is or large their part is you have to have them so the dropoff from top player to bottom players is so much more of a gap than club.  Club was great but I thoroughly enjoy the high school side of things and realize how hard it is.  I know you were not saying that any coach was not doing their job well.  I was just posting this as a perspective.... I'm just saying........... haha Gluck guys and gals

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami