Worst Calls

This was mentioned by someone in another thread but I thought it would be an interesting topic. What are the worst calls that youve seen in SETX football...??

My personal one is Ned/WOS in 2001... with the "Backwards Lateral" Call...that was probably the worst call I have ever seen... Also this year with the Facemask call when Ned played La Marque... Mosley clearly had his hands on the jersey and the Ref made that call when he couldnt even see Mosley's hands, all he saw was the Cougar head snap...... horrible...

But the WOS call takes the cake....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When WO-S played at Nederland in the mid-90s, WO-S already had a big lead when the QB hit a completely uncovered receiver 25 yards upfield between the hash marks. As the WR streaked to the end zone, the whistle blew. They called it an "inadvertent whistle," which negated the TD.

Ned fans still cry about the 2000 "lateral" call, but it was understandable as the ball BARELY moved forward and Neumann later admitted on one of the "Chalk Talk" TV segments that it was a trick play designed to look like an incomplete pass. The fact that it moved forward had been a mistake on the QB's part. He said, "It can work big for you, but we've learned that it can also really come back to bite you."

The phantom TD by Bridge City last year against WO-S right before halftime. The replay on TV clearly showed the ball bounced off the ground and then into the arms of a BC player while he was on his back. The ref was standing right there, and he still got it wrong.

Ned fans still cry about the 2000 "lateral" call' date=' but it was understandable as the ball BARELY moved forward and Neumann later admitted on one of the "Chalk Talk" TV segments that it was a trick play designed to look like an incomplete pass. The fact that it moved forward had been a mistake on the QB's part. He said, "It can work big for you, but we've learned that it can also really come back to bite you."[/quote']

i remember seeing that "Chalk Talk" tv segment i think he called the play "Bounce Pass Buckshot."

• 9 months later...
Guest Bridge City Card

The phantom TD by Bridge City last year against WO-S right before halftime.  The replay on TV clearly showed the ball bounced off the ground and then into the arms of a BC player while he was on his back.  The ref was standing right there, and he still got it wrong.

I'll admit that was a bad call!

What about the phantom sideline infractions against Central while playing PN-G?  We was called for it twice.  Stowers called the ref over and pointed across the field to the Indian sideline.  Coaches were dang near to the hash mark.  ref wouldn't turn around to look...go figure.

When WO-S played at Nederland in the mid-90s, WO-S already had a big lead when the QB hit a completely uncovered receiver 25 yards upfield between the hash marks. As the WR streaked to the end zone, the whistle blew. They called it an "inadvertent whistle," which negated the TD.

Ned fans still cry about the 2000 "lateral" call, but it was understandable as the ball BARELY moved forward and Neumann later admitted on one of the "Chalk Talk" TV segments that it was a trick play designed to look like an incomplete pass. The fact that it moved forward had been a mistake on the QB's part. He said, "It can work big for you, but we've learned that it can also really come back to bite you."

Barely moved foward?  Sounds like a forward pass to me.

Barely moved foward?  Sounds like a forward pass to me.

Yeah, the call was missed, but it was dang close - close enough that it would be an easy mistake to make - especially when you've been warned about this "bounce pass" trick play.

All I am saying is that it was a much closer call than - say - just blowing the whistle when a guy catches a pass 15 yards in the clear and is sprinting for a TD, ala the WO-S/Ned game I mentioned. That's simply ridiculous. In the 00 call, you're talking about a matter of an inch or two if you've seen the slo-mo replays (I have), and it was at full speed.

Waaah.

You'd have lost anyway.

Let's move on with our lives.

Waaah.

You'd have lost anyway.

Let's move on with our lives.

You have a crystal ball?  We were on your 17 yard line, down by 4. How do you know what was going to happen? I am not saying that the result was going to be different, but we won't know because the ref blew the call.

I was watching a thing on t.v. and it was a football game championship in california. 1:47 or something like that left in the game. The team winning (on defense) stopped a play on third down and there was also a holding penalty. So the winning team could either decline the penalty (make it 4th and 10)  or  accept (3rd and 15). well they declined to make it 4th and 10, but the people didn't change the down marker and they kept it at third down. the winning team stopped that third down play again (which was suppose to be 4th down). then on 4th down the losing team threw a deep pass and scored. ( supposed to be 5th down). the team that was winning ended up losing as well.  :o

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami