BH Gulf Coast Classic Bracket Dec 28-30

HillGuy

[quote name="fiveoclocksomewhere" post="730121" timestamp="1260809244"]
BH vs Lumberton at 6 PM?   The rest of the games are much earlier. 

But it will help Lumberton parents make it over after work! (even the delusional ones... ;))

Thanks to the scheduler if this is correct!
[/quote]

If you play the host team, you get the prime time!

• 2 weeks later...
This tournament will feature a few future D-1's (IMO).  5A Clear Springs has Soph guard Aaliyah Brown (15+ ppg).   5A Mayde Creek has Junior Jazzmin Parker (20+pts pg), 5A Fort Bend Austin boasts another super Soph in Nicole Blaskowski (22 ppg) (injured, so not sure if playing).  Kendall Shaw, 6'4" Soph post for BH is averaging 15 ppg, 5 blocks pg.  

Also, Sr. Guard Annalisa Hall of Friendswood will put on a show.  Hall will not be playing BB at the next level since she is committed to Oklahoma as a soccer player.  Very, very fast and talented basketball player though.  Ozen's Alexus (sp?) Brannon is another special athlete (all-American track and field) to watch.  She can jump out of the gym!

[quote name="BHFAN" post="735607" timestamp="1262028814"]
Any scores ?
[/quote]
Don't have scores but have these results (will update scores when I have them):

Mayde Creek defeated LCM by about 10
Hastings defeated Bmt West Brook by about 5
Clear Springs over FB Austin by 10

BH plays Lumberton tonight at 6 pm

[quote name="HillGuy" post="735635" timestamp="1262032252"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=63738.msg735607#msg735607 date=1262028814]
Any scores ?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks! Somebody beat Hastings!!!!

[quote name="BHFAN" post="735654" timestamp="1262034519"]
[quote author=HillGuy link=topic=63738.msg735635#msg735635 date=1262032252]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=63738.msg735607#msg735607 date=1262028814]
Any scores ?
[/quote]

No worries on Hastings, they are really weak this year.  Should be Clear Springs or Friendswood in final against BH (I hope!)
[/quote]

Thanks! Somebody beat Hastings!!!!
[/quote]

Monday Scores:

Barbers Hill 58  Lumberton 24

Alief Hastings 33  Bmt West Brook 27

Mayde Creek 58  LCM  52

Clear Springs  59  FB Austin  46

Humble 58  Huffman 25

Bmt Ozen  59  Crosby 47

Friendswood 49  Baytown Sterling 36

Consolation Bracket:
LCM 53  Huffman 22
West Brook 60  Baytown Sterling 43

Tuesday Scores:              Championship Wed -  Barbers Hill vs. Clear Springs

Championship Bracket
Barbers Hill 68
Katy Mayde Creek 56

Clear Springs 56
Ozen  36

Clear Springs  54
Friendswood  48

Consolation Bracket
FB Austin 48
Crosby 32

Crosby 40
West Brook 32

FB Austin  48
Bay Sterling 35

Bay Sterling 51
Lumberton  50

Katy Mayde Creek  58
LCM                    52

LCM        53
Huffman    22

Lady Eagles fly to championship

By Nathan Hague

nathan.hague(at)baytownsun.com

MONT BELVIEU — Like their schoolmates, the Barbers Hill girls basketball team advanced to the championship game of the Gulf Coast Classic Tuesday. The Lady Eagles defeated the Mayde Creek Lady Rams 68-56.

Shannon Evans of Barbers Hill was the high scorer as she finished with 16 points. Jasmine Carter scored 13 as Carli Manchaca was right behind her with 12. Kendall Shaw finished the night with 10 points.

The Lady Eagles will take on the Clear Springs Chargers in the championship game scheduled to tip off at 6 p.m. today in the Field House.

Two local teams are scheduled to meet as the Sterling Lady Rangers go head-to-head with the Crosby Lady Cougars today at 9 a.m.

Sterling played a pair of games Tuesday, as they fell short in the first one to the Fort Bend Austin Lady Bulldogs in a 48-35 final.

Denise White’s 18 points led the Lady Rangers.

“They’re (Fort Bend Austin) a very competitive and physical team,” Sterling coach Laurie Welch said. “I thought the first half we cam out tough and executed well but in the second half we fell flat. We made mistakes that affected us late and need to cut down on the errors.”

The Lady Rangers later came back with a 51-50 win over Lumberton that gave their coach a little more confidence.

“We came out better in the third quarter,” Welch said. “We made a few mistakes but overall we fought hard for four quarters. I’m proud of the girls for coming out and playing strong. They really deserve this win.”

Once again, White led the way in scoring with 20 points.

In order to play Sterling, the Crosby Lady Cougars had to win their last game Tuesday night as they came away with a 40-33 win over the Beaumont West Brook Lady Bruins.

“Like I’ve said before, since coming back from Christmas break, I thought the girls have played with more heart,” Crosby coach Rhea Guillory said. “It’s taken a lot of practice but they’re really starting to come together as a team.”

Mayde Creek beat Humble before losing to Barbers Hill. Clear Springs beat Beaumont Ozen and Friendswood to advance to championship game against Barbers Hill. Before falling to Clear Springs, Friendswood beat Hastings.

LC-M beat Lumberton to advance to the championship round of the consolation bracket when they take on Fort Bend Austin at noon today.

BH loses to a very solid Clear Springs 53-40.  Lowest point total of year.  Outside shooting died on us in the 'ship.  Really hurt not having starting senior guard, Paris Carter, for the tourney due to sore knee....she'll be back for the district run though!  Good job, Lady Eagles.

Clear Springs charges by the Lady Eagles
By Nathan Hague
The Baytown Sun
Published December 31, 2009
MONT BELVIEU — The Barbers Hill Lady Eagles fell 13 points short of winning the championship game of the Gulf Coast Classic Wednesday.

The Lady Eagles lost 53-40 to the Clear Springs Chargers.

The boys championship game between Barbers Hill and C.E. King was not complete at press time. A wrapup of that game and tournament will appear in Friday’s Baytown Sun.

Jasmine Carter scored 13 points for the Lady Eagles Wedneday night. Kendall Shaw dropped in eight points and grabbed seven rebounds.

Despite the loss, Barbers Hill Coach John Chancellor was proud of his team’s effort.

“It’s a disappointing loss but we’ve got to play high level teams like this if we want to play at a high level ourselves,” he said. “The heart, energy and intensity was there tonight but we learned we’ve got to have a go-to offense. We just didn’t execute offensively.”

The Lady Eagles are scheduled to return to action when they hit the road Tuesday to take on C.E. King.

“It will be a real test,” Chancellor said. “It will be a good district game.”

Sterling’s Lady Rangers won their last game of the tournament, defeating the Crosby Lady Cougars 54-49.

Fort Bend Austin beat Little Cypress-Mauriceville 56-33 to win the championship of the girls consolation bracket.

Beaumont Ozen beat Hastings 58-55 before losing to Friendswood 54-51 in the girls third-place game.

As for the boys games, the Sterling boys came out of the Gulf Coast Classic with the third-place trophy after beating the Nederland Bulldogs 60-52 on Wednesday night. The win advances Sterling’s record to 13-9.

Andre Corley came up big, scoring 38 points — 23 of them from the free throw line — for the Rangers.

The Bulldogs’ leading scorer was Dionte Forney, who finished with 27 points.

“We’re very pleased with these young men,” Sterling coach Mark Patton said. “Obviously we were hoping to play against Barbers Hill in the championship but we’ll take it. Anytime you go 4-1 in a tournament like this, it says a lot. Hopefully we can stay aggressive and keep improving. We’ll need it for district.”

Before advancing to the third-place game, the Rangers beat the Dayton Broncos 71-63. Three Rangers finished in double-digits.

Corley scored 27 as Williams and Karmon Glover each finished with 10 points.

Sterling’s next game is scheduled for Tuesday when they take on the Woodlands on the road.

The Lee boys basketball team played its last game of the Gulf Coast Classic on Wednesday, falling to Nederland 73-64.

Jaevon Richardson was the high scorer for the Ganders with 12 points.

“The guys work hard and it shows they really want to win,” Lee coach Trent Manuel said, “but we’re just making too many mental mistakes. We’re doing things we feel good about but keep coming up short in the end.

“We were really about two minutes from a chance to go the championship game against C.E. King but the mental mistakes hurt us.”

Among those mental mistakes, Manuel said the biggest is bad shot selection.

“We need to get back and practice and get more comfortable with our shot selection. We’ll be OK, we just need to regroup.”

Lee’s next game is set for Tuesday at 7 p.m. when the Ganders host New Caney.

The Anahuac Panthers fell short in the championship game of the consolation bracket on Tuesday, losing 65-46 to the Montgomery Bears.

Jordan Tarver dropped 19 points to lead his team in scoring.

The loss sets Anahuac’s record to 6-10.

The other Wednesday boys game involved Livingston beating Pasadena 57-52.

The Barbers Hill Eagles were in the championship game against C.E. King but went it went past deadline. Check out tomorrow’s paper for the results.

[quote name="HillGuy" post="736732" timestamp="1262228004"]
BH loses to a very solid Clear Springs 53-40.  Lowest point total of year.  Outside shooting died on us in the 'ship.  Really hurt not having starting senior guard, Paris Carter, for the tourney due to sore knee....she'll be back for the district run though!  Good job, Lady Eagles.
[/quote]

HillGuy,
  It was great having a chance to visit with you on day 1 of the tournament.  It was killing me that I was unable to make it back after the first day's action.  (That work thing always gets in the way!) Although I didn't get an opportunity to see BH play, it sounds like they are right on track for a big run.  I read where Shannon had some big games in this tourney...Congrats to her! 

The Gulf Coast Classic continues to be one of the best run tournaments with some of the nicest people, facilities, and competition within a 100 mile radius of the golden triangle.  I hope we continue to make this tournament a mainstay in our yearly schedule. 

I just want to know who you would want to invite district teams to your tournament. I also want to know why several teams out of the Beaumont district want to play in the same tournament. Why? Really? Why? There are plenty of tournaments to play in. Go to a different one and get your school out of district play when you play each other twice anyway. You team needs more exposure than just your district. Winning your district or making the playoffs is just the beginning.

[quote name="youwishyouwere#1" post="738381" timestamp="1262646184"]
I just want to know who you would want to invite district teams to your tournament. I also want to know why several teams out of the Beaumont district want to play in the same tournament. Why? Really? Why? There are plenty of tournaments to play in. Go to a different one and get your school out of district play when you play each other twice anyway. You team needs more exposure than just your district. Winning your district or making the playoffs is just the beginning.
[/quote]

The weather hampered us from attending/traveling to the North Carolina Winter Classic in Raliegh this season so we opted for the next best tournament that weekend...the Gulf Coast Classic.  Several ranked teams in the 5A & 4A classification and some quality individual players as well.  This tourney did a good job of spreading out district opponents, but after the first games...you have to play where the bracket takes you.

I like the fact that you can catch some of the boys game during this tourney too. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kakiri550
    Newest Member
    kakiri550

• No chance in hell that this pos is found guilty. 
    • After his silly conviction, President Trump has raised over 200 Million dollars!  The people are seeing through it!  Excellent!  
    • Let’s see if joe biden’s words about no one is above the law, made after the rigged trial of President Trump, rings true with his po💩son.  Hopefully, but I’m not going to hold my breath, they put the sorry sob in prison.
    • I liked his no bull crap attitude. He was a man of very few words. Extremely strong and freaky athletic!!! As close as possible to being the best offensive lineman to ever play the game. I hope his family finds peace without him!!! RIP #73
    • Chester, a small town in NE Tyler County.  A town that is seeing growth with the addition of a national chain store and a new school being built.  If you travel 287 toward Dallas from the Golden Triangle you have probably passed through Chester.  Things tend to stay pretty consistent and it is your typical small town.   A trip to state is the buzz around town, and the talk before church services begin on Sunday.  This year’s graduating class will number 11.  We don’t have a radio station that covers the Yellowjackets.  We are never a lead story on any of the news stations that broadcast to our community. With all that said, there is a closeness and sense of pride in our community.  Every community rallies behind their kids as they progress into the playoffs.  We are proud of our boys as they have represented our community well and with class. We invite you to follow our boys as they go to state.  We welcome the greater SETX communities as honorary Yellowjackets.  Tune in, watch live or come to Round Rock personally and join us in supporting the Chester Yellowjackets.  Go ‘Jackets!!! ⚾️💜💛⚾️🟣🟡⚾️💜💛⚾️
  • Topics