Tired of mediocrity...

How many times do we have to sit through this? Orangefield fell to Kountze tonight in the championship game at Evadale tonight by 26 despite being in the game for the better part of 3 quarters. With a mixture of questionable calls and questionable decisions it was over not long into the 4th. You can't get on refs because good or bad more times than not its equal for both teams. There may be one school in the area that actually gets preferential treatment from the stripes but I think we all know which red and blue team that is. Wink wink. What the problem at Orangefield seems to be is that the game management isn't usually equal on both sides.
    I've noticed that the teams they play tend to play their best players the majority of the game. That seems to be a formula that works pretty well. I've also picked up on the fact that when someone has the hot hand you try to get them the ball. That, crazy as it sounds, seems to be beneficial too. If Orangefield picks up on this new trend in time they could really make some noise this year. As of now they seem to be drawing names out of a hat and letting a blind monkey make the substitutions.  A newcomer of the year on the bench in a game they lost to a team that couldn't stay on the floor with em a week earlier. Our 2nd team all district player hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet. Guys that can't handle the pressure of a Kountze team getting quality minutes against them and let them run a layup/dunk drill. And one of the best players in the area that doesn't get near enough chances to make plays. They gave up a lot of points tonight but much of it was due to their inability to handle the pressure and giving up easy baskets.
     The bottom line is you have to play the people that give you the best chance to win. Sometimes the situation dictates who that should be but you have to play the people that can put the ball in the basket. Even though the kids seem to be well coached and seem to come in w/a good game plan, if our game management doesn't improve soon it could be a long final year for a group of kids that have spent their whole life playing basketball together and that would be a real shame.

Ur not talkn about the all Mighty H-J Hawks. I knew who u were talkn about before you even said red/blue team. Its amazing how everyone in the area knows H-J gets takn care of real well by the refs.usually where there's SMOKE, there's FIRE People. I'm Just Sayn'

I too was at the Evadale games and I would like to know how the guy get the stripes to call V games. There were some real bad calls,not to sayany team got specially treatment, but I am just hoping I do not see any of these guys in games that really mean something. Watch one guy make bad calls the hole game for both sides and then with 1.6 sec on the clock in a tied game make a cheep blocking call at midcourt to decide the game. Everone came to the games to watch kids play and not to watch grown men decide games. As far a player rotation, at this time of the year most coaches are using these games to find out what kid can play together, and who can handle the pressure. But to come on here and to call out one coach is not cool. If you wont to make the starting lineup all you have to do is go back to school for 4 years, take a job that pays way too little , for the time you have to spend, and then you can play anyone YOU wont. We all see things that we would do different, but ever coach has put in his time so please respect that.

I say play as many as you can this time of year to get you better prepared for district and possible playoffs. Tournament play is the time to do these sort of things. Who really cares if you win a tournament title as long as your team is progressing in a manner to get you ready for district.

Silsbee plays 10-12 players every game this time of year, but that number may drop to just 8-9 come crunch time in district play.

Refs are human and make mistakes. Some are good and some are bad......I have watched games when I didn't care who won. People would be yelling how terrible the refs are when actually they were doing a good job. People usually see what they want to see when watching their team play........Most of the time teams get beat by better teams.

[quote name="thescore96" post="724879" timestamp="1260082048"]
    How many times do we have to sit through this? Orangefield fell to Kountze tonight in the championship game at Evadale tonight by 26 despite being in the game for the better part of 3 quarters. With a mixture of questionable calls and questionable decisions it was over not long into the 4th. You can't get on refs because good or bad more times than not its equal for both teams. There may be one school in the area that actually gets preferential treatment from the stripes but I think we all know which red and blue team that is. Wink wink. What the problem at Orangefield seems to be is that the game management isn't usually equal on both sides.
    I've noticed that the teams they play tend to play their best players the majority of the game. That seems to be a formula that works pretty well. I've also picked up on the fact that when someone has the hot hand you try to get them the ball. That, crazy as it sounds, seems to be beneficial too. If Orangefield picks up on this new trend in time they could really make some noise this year. As of now they seem to be drawing names out of a hat and letting a blind monkey make the substitutions.  A newcomer of the year on the bench in a game they lost to a team that couldn't stay on the floor with em a week earlier. Our 2nd team all district player hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet. Guys that can't handle the pressure of a Kountze team getting quality minutes against them and let them run a layup/dunk drill. And one of the best players in the area that doesn't get near enough chances to make plays. They gave up a lot of points tonight but much of it was due to their inability to handle the pressure and giving up easy baskets.
     The bottom line is you have to play the people that give you the best chance to win. Sometimes the situation dictates who that should be but you have to play the people that can put the ball in the basket. Even though the kids seem to be well coached and seem to come in w/a good game plan, if our game management doesn't improve soon it could be a long final year for a group of kids that have spent their whole life playing basketball together and that would be a real shame.

[/quote]

You've hit a lot of hot buttons on your FIRST post ever!
I hope the coach doesn't figure out who your son is!  "Blind Monkey" is not very flattering
About HJ coaches...they know how to manage a game and refs, just like you said!

Two questions for you 96:
Have you ever been paid to Coach or ref?

Ref are human and they do make misstakes, but they also are grown men getting payed to do a job. With that being said if in the real world  you do a bad job at something and make that many mistakes, and you are getting payed  that will be a short job.  I just hate to see bad calls that can change a game one way or the other. JMO the best ref. is the one that when the game is over you cant even remember who he was

[quote name="True Blue" post="724965" timestamp="1260111392"]
Ref are human and they do make misstakes, but they also are grown men getting payed to do a job. With that being said if in the real world  you do a bad job at something and make that many mistakes, and you are getting payed  that will be a short job.  I just hate to see bad calls that can change a game one way or the other. JMO the best ref. is the one that when the game is over you cant even remember who he was
[/quote]
Good post, the ref's are human, however, job performance should come into play. The last couple years the good ref's are few and far between.

Red2red already put out the formula to beat hj. Umm let them shoot. I think Central read the post and decided to use it. Keep the ball away from turner and let the "shooters" shoot and watch that hawk cum flying down. That's how u wound a Hawk. They shoot themselves down.lol

[quote name="swagg" post="725082" timestamp="1260122404"]
Red2red already put out the formula to beat hj. Umm let them shoot. I think Central read the post and decided to use it. Keep the ball away from turner and let the "shooters" shoot and watch that hawk cum flying down. That's how u wound a Hawk. They shoot themselves down.lol
[/quote]

Once again you talk a lot of trash on HJ even though they beat your "UNTOUCHABLE" Kountze team in Kountze!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Guest stevenash
[quote name="Bobcat05" post="725140" timestamp="1260127415"]
  ::) Sorry not every thread can be about Kountze or how bad HJ is...even though they beat Kountze.   So if you don't want to talk about Orangefield, don't come on this thread.  Pretty simple.
[/quote]

Let me caution you, Bobcat, about using logic.  It is rarely well received and more rarely  understood.

The Orangefield coach is doing something right because the last 8/10 years if you talked about o-field basketball you were talking about the girls.The young guy down there now runs the system and manages the games the ONLY way he has a chance to be competetive and stay anywhere close to the Kountzes,Silsbees and HJ'S of the world.If O-field plays the 2nd team all district players and new comers the entire game and try to match up with Kountze the end result will be very ugly.The question about the refs is easy.All you have to do to call varsity games is invest several hundred dollars of your own momey ,go to 10 weeks of training and then weekly meetings thru the winter.This entitles you to take alot of abuse from people who don't have a clue.Anyone who ask these types of questions has never put on the whistle and walked out on the floor where at least half the crowd hates you every time you blow the whistle.These guys do a better job than they get credit for.

[quote name="TheRef" post="725154" timestamp="1260128933"]
If you don't like the cals, go join the chapter and make a difference! Otherwise, take what you get and keep your mouth shut!

And no I do not ref basketball!
[/quote] When I walk up to the door and PAY to watch a highschool game I am paying to see kids play a game. But I am also paying for a Professional Ref to call these games. If your job performance is poor and and you make that many Mistakes you should not be allowed to call High school V games. Call JV and little dribblers until you can perform as a Professional. Not one person that I know go to the games to watch Refs. As a professional ref. you should never become a part of the game. I do know that for the most part the refs. that call highschool game are OK but it only takes one to make the rest look bad.

Professional refs call NBA games..........these are high school games!!!!  If you want to pay to see pro referees then go watch the Rockets play!!!  I grip about them as much as anyone else but they have also made calls that have benefited my team........they are not perfect!!!!  If you don't like the job they do.....then get a whistle and a striped shirt and you go call a game!!!!

It's been a few years since I've called any games(the hurricanes made it impossible due to work) but I never considered myself a proffesional.By the time these guys pay dues,buy uniforms,pay for gas and food on game nights they barely break even on the small school games.Once you have officiated you watch the games from a different view point.I am amazed now going to different gyms and listening at people complain about calls that don't even know the rules.I can promise you any of the local chapters will welcome the help.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami