Predictions. Dawson vs friendswood...DAWSON ADVANCES!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GCMPats
[size=14pt]Inaugural senior class makes Dawson a playoff hit[/size]

Wealth of talent, belief make youth of program no issue

By JASON MCDANIEL For the Chronicle
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:50PM.
L. Scott Hainline For the Chronicle

Dawson isn't the only second-year team ahead of the curve. Clear Springs, Cypress Woods and Goose Creek Memorial all had breakthroughs this season.

But whether it's because of the talent pouring out of Pearland or signs shown in their inaugural run, the fledgling Eagles may be the only ones expected to dominate in double time.

And their first senior class made sure they did.

Dawson (11-2) takes on District 24-4A foe Friendswood (10-3) in the Class 4A Region III Division I championship game at 2 p.m. Saturday at Galena Park ISD Stadium.

“I don't know what everybody else expected, but from day one we expected to be in the playoffs and winning games because we believed in each other,” Dawson senior quarterback Darian Lazard said. “It started with just a small group of us, and we all believed in each other. We said that this group is very special but getting to this point is very exciting.”

The Utah-bound QB is the biggest factor in the talent equation. He's joined by running back Xavier Brown, who's staying home to play at the University of Houston, and right tackle Aaron Davis, who has Navy on the radar.

Rematch of 24-4A rivals

Together, and with a little help, they led Dawson to a 4-4 record in its first, Hurricane Ike-interrupted year, with three losses by less than a touchdown, increasing expectations for this season.

Not that that's anything new for Dawson coach Eric Wells.

“I always feel those expectations,” Wells said. “When I was at La Marque or Pearland, I always felt like everybody was expecting the best and, as a coach, you always put too much pressure on yourself.”

The pressure is plentiful this weekend.

The Eagles already lost once to their region's defending champs in their 24-4A meeting Oct. 16. The Mustangs scored their fewest offensive points of the season but still won 21-6.

And that's a bad sign for Dawson.

There have been 12 rematches this postseason between Class 5A and 4A teams that met in the regular season or last year's playoffs, and the teams that lost the first time are 2-10 in the rematch. Cy Woods and Klein are the exceptions.

Worse, when reduced to teams meeting twice this year, the losers of the first game are 0-3 in playoff rematches.

“That was seven weeks ago so both teams have improved quite a bit,” Wells said. “I'd hope to say that we've improved enough to be able to play and have an opportunity to win, but Friendswood has great tradition over there.

“Steve (Van Meter) has a playoff contender every year, and they went to the (state) semifinals last year and played Lake Travis. So it's going to be a battle, and I'm excited about the opportunity.”

Not as much as Lazard.

QB seeks to settle a score

The quarterback has been brilliant all season but had his worst game against Friendswood. He didn't practice all that week with an injury, then threw his only two interceptions.

“Last time we played them I had just gotten turf toe,” he said. “So it feels good to have this chance to knock those guys out of the playoffs and finally get a win against them.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami