Yates 163 Sam Houston 71

JMT

Almost 20 years ago I followed basketball in Liberty Hill. The coach was Danny Henderson and he installed a run and gun style that took them to the State Semi Final where they lost to Abernathy in OT. The team averaged 101 points per game and even lost a game when they scored 100 once, Lake Travis score 103.

In a game against Salado LH was up 99 to 26 at half. The game was finally called by the refs with almost 3 minutes left after the 5 intentional foul was called on Salado. The final was 156 to 59. In the district home and home at Salado they stalled the ball for all but about 3 minutes of the first half before LH could get unracked. LH still scored 88 points in the game.

Certain styles are difficult to pull out of. It is no different from a team that runs a spread offense in football. They are not built to ground it out and take time off the clock, it's not in their nature. Teams will figure them out and some will stop them. If they don't then Yates will end up with a state title and a coach of the year.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="716180" timestamp="1258993699"]
It is my understanding that H. Yates intentionally ran the score up because of some comments made by the Sam Houston coach prior to this game. The Yates coach was asked how many points he was going to win this game and he siad, "As many as I can".
[/quote]Sometimes a coach just gotta be quiet and humble.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="716180" timestamp="1258993699"]
It is my understanding that H. Yates intentionally ran the score up because of some comments made by the Sam Houston coach prior to this game. The Yates coach was asked how many points he was going to win this game and he siad, "As many as I can".
[/quote]

I'm not shocked that Greg Wise would say that. To me he's the Coach Allen (Carter's basketball coach up here in Dallas) of HISD.

[quote name="JMT" post="716516" timestamp="1259023085"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=62752.msg716180#msg716180 date=1258993699]
[/quote]

I'm not shocked that Greg Wise would say that. To me he's the Coach Allen (Carter's basketball coach up here in Dallas) of HISD.
[/quote] Not sure what kind of basketball some of you guys were raised on, but he took his starters out and don't think theyare going to lay down because of the score. It's not fair to the bench players because they are trying to get better  for the future too.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="716535" timestamp="1259024513"]
[quote author=JMT link=topic=62752.msg716516#msg716516 date=1259023085]
[/quote]

[/quote] Not sure what kind of basketball some of you guys were raised on, but he took his starters out and don't think theyare going to lay down because of the score. It's not fair to the bench players because they are trying to get better  for the future too.
[/quote]

Then play better teams if you want to get better, I don't know how beating someone by almost 100 is helping, seems like they'd get better practice from their JV.

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="716539" timestamp="1259024971"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=62752.msg716535#msg716535 date=1259024513]
[quote author=JMT link=topic=62752.msg716516#msg716516 date=1259023085]
[/quote]

[/quote] Not sure what kind of basketball some of you guys were raised on, but he took his starters out and don't think theyare going to lay down because of the score. It's not fair to the bench players because they are trying to get better  for the future too.
[/quote]

Then play better teams if you want to get better, I don't know how beating someone by almost 100 is helping, seems like they'd get better practice from their JV.
[/quote] Even Duke plays smaller schools for practice and work on their sets. And yes, they do play very good teams. You can't  expect your bench to play down  when you're always expect them to do their best.

[quote name="The GOAT" post="716638" timestamp="1259033060"]
Sorry, beat the crap out of everyone you play, so when you walk in the next gym you play in your already up twenty. It's more mental than anything. :o O' yeah they beat us by 30 last year.
[/quote]Yep, more mental for both sides. Depending on your sport, you always want a few extra points BEFORE  the event starts. I don't believe in slacking off on an opponent. mental toughness.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami