Mart vs. Evadale

tram

[quote name="ghhorns" post="710454" timestamp="1258433664"]
Hey Folks! I'm from Mart and to be real honest with all of you, we have been up and down all season. We played three top ten teams down to the wire. Goldthwaite scored with a minute left in the game to edge us 21-17. One 2a playoff team barely beat us. Thats the four teams we lost to and all are still in the playoffs. But the teams we should have just totally dominated, we have struggled against horribly. Barely beating Bremond and Normangee by two points and one i believe. But the last two games Riesel and last week against Dawson we have looked awesome. So it depends on which team shows up. Should be a good game. Also to a couple of "posters" who said that we run up the score. We may have in the past i'm not sure but Coach Nail (present head coach) has way too much class for that. We had a halftime score last week against Dawson of 37-0 and played very conservative in the second half to only add one touchdown winning 44-0. Kneeling several times inside the 20 to not run up the score. Good Luck and just be proud to be here for the kids. Its all about them and always pray noone gets hurt. 
[/quote]
Nice to hear from someone from that area with some class!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line here is Evadale can win this game. Coach Slack invited me in to give the pre-game speech last year when HD played Mart and one of the things I emphasized is not being intimidated at all, and hitting them in the mouth from the opening whistle. They boys from Mart know how to win playoff games and they expect to win. That's a mindset that comes with tradition and attitude that is developed over years of experience and success. To the Rebel players, just remember, they put their cleats on one foot at a time just like you guys, they're just regular old kids from the country just like you guys are. Don't hesitate or do anything different than you've done all season long, just be even more hyped up and relentless than you were when you played HD and Colmesneil this year. Althleticism and mistakes will play a factor in the final score, but if you make a mistake, make it going 100mph and play with reckeless abandon. Mart got the better of HD last year, but not many people know the whole story, they just saw the final score. At the end of the first quarter, Mart had ran 4 plays for a total of 3 yards. They scored on a punt return, then on a short field after we fumbled the insuing kickoff. After we put together another long drive, on 3rd and 12 they completed a long pass down to the one and punched it in. We turned the ball over on downs just before halftime, and they scored on a fake field goal with :13 seconds left til halftime. The second half, just like the first quarter was a stalemate. In the end, they made enough plays and capitilized on HD's mistakes to win the game, and took that momentum on to a state championship game appearance. I personally don't think this year's Mart team is as good as last season, and that Evadale can beat them, if they play mistake free football. Good luck Rebels and as other's have said, make district 23-A proud. Whether we want to admit it or not, most of the folks down in Hull-Daisetta are pulling for you guys!!

P.S. On another note, Coach Nail and his coaching staff, players, and the fans of Mart were nothing but class last year. Very respectful group of folks. I saw Mart back in the Cosby boy's days in 2A and against EC and they were a little less than perfect class. I think that is gone and you will see nothing but class from Mart this Friday.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="710698" timestamp="1258475780"]
Bottom line here is Evadale can win this game. Coach Slack invited me in to give the pre-game speech last year when HD played Mart and one of the things I emphasized is not being intimidated at all, and hitting them in the mouth from the opening whistle. They boys from Mart know how to win playoff games and they expect to win. That's a mindset that comes with tradition and attitude that is developed over years of experience and success. To the Rebel players, just remember, they put their cleats on one foot at a time just like you guys, they're just regular old kids from the country just like you guys are. Don't hesitate or do anything different than you've done all season long, just be even more hyped up and relentless than you were when you played HD and Colmesneil this year. Althleticism and mistakes will play a factor in the final score, but if you make a mistake, make it going 100mph and play with reckeless abandon. Mart got the better of HD last year, but not many people know the whole story, they just saw the final score. At the end of the first quarter, Mart had ran 4 plays for a total of 3 yards. They scored on a punt return, then on a short field after we fumbled the insuing kickoff. After we put together another long drive, on 3rd and 12 they completed a long pass down to the one and punched it in. We turned the ball over on downs just before halftime, and they scored on a fake field goal with :13 seconds left til halftime. The second half, just like the first quarter was a stalemate. In the end, they made enough plays and capitilized on HD's mistakes to win the game, and took that momentum on to a state championship game appearance. I personally don't think this year's Mart team is as good as last season, and that Evadale can beat them, if they play mistake free football. Good luck Rebels and as other's have said, make district 23-A proud. Whether we want to admit it or not, most of the folks down in Hull-Daisetta are pulling for you guys!!

P.S. On another note, Coach Nail and his coaching staff, players, and the fans of Mart were nothing but class last year. Very respectful group of folks. I saw Mart back in the Cosby boy's days in 2A and against EC and they were a little less than perfect class. I think that is gone and you will see nothing but class from Mart this Friday.
[/quote]

Thanks 9 - sounds like you were able to give two pregame talks before teams played Mart. - Good luck to HD against Lovelady!

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="710698" timestamp="1258475780"]

[/quote] Good post HD9. My 9 year old son and I were fortunate to be standing there with HD9 as he gave the pre game speech. It was special for my son to be apart of that atmosphere, he will never forget it. What a playoff memory. One day my son will be the player in the locker room. Can't wait !! Enjoy every second of the playoffs boys. Seems like yesterday HD9 and myself were standing under the Friday night lights in the playoffs. Evadale yall are a special bunch of boys. 10-0 play your hearts out. Good luck and represent 23-1A.

I want to say one thing about those young men from Evadale.They have alot of heart and i know they will play their hearts out on Friday night.I do believe they will reach deep down inside themselves and fight for a win just like they always do....I am very proud of those young men and very,very proud of #24 because he is my son....
P.S I geuss i just let the cat out of the bag now about #24 but o well....I'm a very proud DAD.....

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="710750" timestamp="1258479658"]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=62374.msg710698#msg710698 date=1258475780]

[/quote] Good post HD9. My 9 year old son and I were fortunate to be standing there with HD9 as he gave the pre game speech. It was special for my son to be apart of that atmosphere, he will never forget it. What a playoff memory. One day my son will be the player in the locker room. Can't wait !! Enjoy every second of the playoffs boys. Seems like yesterday HD9 and myself were standing under the Friday night lights in the playoffs. Evadale yall are a special bunch of boys. 10-0 play your hearts out. Good luck and represent 23-1A.
[/quote]

Great post as well HD55. I'm glad you were there for that, I know I got lost in the moment and takes us all back to when we were strapping on the helmets.  It was a special time as it always is when playoff time comes to our tiny towns. Rebels, just know a couple things. You're family, friends, and entire communitity are behind you and will support you no matter what, time flies and you will never get to experience this same feeling again, so enjoy it, and no matter what, play your a$$ off every single play and don't leave anything left in the tank.

[quote name="BiggCowboyJohn" post="710778" timestamp="1258482816"]
I want to say one thing about those young men from Evadale.They have alot of heart and i know they will play their hearts out on Friday night.I do believe they will reach deep down inside themselves and fight for a win just like they always do....I am very proud of those young men and very,very proud of #24 because he is my son....
P.S I geuss i just let the cat out of the bag now about #24 but o well....I'm a very proud DAD.....
[/quote]

And proud you should be John
Your son is a great young man who will go far in this life no matter what he does. He is polite, well mannered and a credit to the school and the team.
Go ahead and bust your buttons with pride that is what being a parent is all about.

Man that hurts I got to get my Hankie :o You guys have been talking trash all week and then pow hit me with this. I to know all the players on this Evadale team, and I am very proud to say I have watched these young boys turn in to fine young men. It does not matter if they win are lose I will always be proud to say I knew them when.....

Hey tram, I haven't seen Mart play this season so its probably not an accurate statement. I was just basing it off the kids they lost from last year and their record and outcomes from this season. I know better than anyone that Mart doesn't rebuild, they just reload lol. How do u compare last season's team to this one?

It's hard to say..... I felt they were more talented than last years team but have had a massive number of injuries and all the flu/strep stuff through the middle of the season.  The last two weeks they finally got most of their skill players back and seem to be on a roll.  They have been in every game to the end.  Goldthwaite scored with 1:17 left to beat them and Mart played withouth their qb.  Lovelady picked off a pass around the ten yard line and made what was the tying score drive a 14 point victory.  They lost to Lexington by 7 and again the qb and top receiver and rb did not play.  So it is hard to say.  When they played without their top players the others stepped up and played hard and just came up a bit short.  But in the games where they have had everyone they have rolled....  Marlin 35-0/ Teague 63-0/Riesel 41-7 / Dawson 44-0.  So hopefully they are healthy and will continue to show up and play well.  The games against Normangee and Bremond coach sat out five of the skill kids with knee and ankle injuries in an effort to get well for the playoffs.  So our backups have some really good playing time under their belt.  I expect a good game from both Evadale and Mart.

[quote name="grad88" post="708196" timestamp="1258247361"]
[quote author=checkmate link=topic=62374.msg707417#msg707417 date=1258212411]
Mart is better than good..they are beasts. They put up 44 points on a Dawson defense that was suppose to be "lights out" this year. [b]This is where we see if the district is really weak as many have said, or if we were all wrong.
[/quote]
[/b]

Checkmate you really have a hang up about this weak district thing don't you. 
It's getting old.  Go play somewhere else.  You need help.
[/quote]

Wow - sensitive topic. Kinda like that 20-4a thing!

[quote name="BiggCowboyJohn" post="710778" timestamp="1258482816"]
[/quote]

And proud you should be! I am proud of Evadale's season and I am a High Island mom!!!  ;D Rebels need to get out there and show them who they are - and that they are NOT district champs simply because our district "is the weakest in the state!" Go get 'em Rebs!!!

[quote name="checkmate" post="711342" timestamp="1258551420"]
yea no doubt..I even get called names for expressing my opinions...which has not changed....I think starting tomm I will be proved correct in my opinion.
[/quote]

Regardless if your opinion is proved right or wrong, your ability to continually assert your opinion in every one of your post shows that you are only doing so out of malicious intent. When football season is over, no one is going to pat you on the back for all of your opinions. By the way, reiterating your opinion over and over again does not negate how many times your opinion was wrong all through the season.  By your insistence in wanting everyone to know your opinion, I am sure you will continue your redundancy.

Go REBELS!!! Give-em Hell!!! (I can't believe I actually said Go Rebels, my hometown might disown me!  No worries, I am a true fan of 23 1A football.)

"The Cardinal Fan"
Roger George

[quote name="TheCardinalFan" post="711420" timestamp="1258558908"]
[quote author=checkmate link=topic=62374.msg711342#msg711342 date=1258551420]
yea no doubt..I even get called names for expressing my opinions...which has not changed....I think starting tomm I will be proved correct in my opinion.
[/quote]

Regardless if your opinion is proved right or wrong, your ability to continually assert your opinion in every one of your post shows that you are only doing so out of malicious intent. When football season is over, no one is going to pat you on the back for all of your opinions. By the way, reiterating your opinion over and over again does not negate how many times your opinion was wrong all through the season.  By your insistence in wanting everyone to know your opinion, I am sure you will continue your redundancy.

Go REBELS!!! Give-em heck!!! (I can't believe I actually said Go Rebels, my hometown might disown me!  No worries, I am a true fan of 23 1A football

"The Cardinal Fan"
Roger George
[/quote]
Good post, i get tired of reading this guys "opinion" in evey thread about 23-1a. As for the disowning, not gonna happen lol we're pullin for the rebs too

Can't wait to see the outcomes of these 3 games between these 2 districts. It makes it alot of fun for the fans to not only pull for their respected teams but for their rivals that represent their districts. I personally still believe District 22-1A sweeps all three games. Good Luck Guys !

Mart over Evadale 38-7
Lovelady over H-D 42-14
Riesel over Colmesneil 28-21

[quote name="TheCardinalFan" post="711420" timestamp="1258558908"]
[quote author=checkmate link=topic=62374.msg711342#msg711342 date=1258551420]
[/quote]

Go REBELS!!! Give-em heck!!! (I can't believe I actually said Go Rebels, my hometown might disown me!  No worries, I am a true fan of 23 1A football.)

"The Cardinal Fan"
Roger George
[/quote]

Very well said Roger!!! I have actually said "Go Rebels" "Go Dawgs" and "Go Bobcats" this week. :-) I think HI will forgive us.  ;D GO 23 1A!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83