Will Coldspring do it?

Saw some talk suggesting that Coldspring should intentionally lose their game this week to Liberty to allow Shepherd into the playoffs thus putting Coldspring facing Bridge City in the 1st round rather than WOS. This also would eliminate Huffman from making the playoffs and sending Cleveland to Div.I to face Silsbee in the 1st round instead of going DII and facing Bridge City.

I honestly don't see the Coldspring coaches doing this and I imagine the Huffman and Cleveland coaching staffs would have a big problem with this also. But, it is food for thought.

What are you guys opinions on this scenario? Should they, or shouldn't they?

[quote name="WO-S 89" post="696664" timestamp="1257345482"]
Didn't Waco LaVega do it a couple of years ago to put them in Div.I instead of Div.II.  It got them to the state championship game instead of lossing to Gilmer in the 2nd. rd. of the Div. II playoffs.
[/quote]

Is that a yes, they should?

[size=14pt]I would think that you would play to win.... as said in earlier post... you get a big lead and then rest your starters... let them get some work and stay sharp... but do not put them in a position to be hurt in a blowout game... I do not think a coach would put his players who he has tried to keep momentum with all year long makes them stumble going into the playoffs... I surely would not... you want to go in on a good note, knowing that in the end, [b]you have to beat the best to be called the best..... [/b] In my honest opinion if you deliberatly loose a game so you do not have to play a certain team shows no confidence in your own team.... and if they find out you have done this to them... could put a very big dent in your relationship, not only with the current team, but players and parents coming up that will have no trust in the coach.... I say NO play the game and decide it on the field not over a playoff pairing...  [/size]

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="696673" timestamp="1257345883"]
[quote author=WO-S 89 link=topic=61833.msg696664#msg696664 date=1257345482]
Didn't Waco LaVega do it a couple of years ago to put them in Div.I instead of Div.II.  It got them to the state championship game instead of lossing to Gilmer in the 2nd. rd. of the Div. II playoffs.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No it's not right. I was just saying it almost worked out for Waco LaVega. I care less who we play in the 1st. rd.

[quote name="WO-S 89" post="696681" timestamp="1257346215"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=61833.msg696673#msg696673 date=1257345883]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No it's not right. I was just saying it almost worked out for Waco LaVega. I care less who we play in the 1st. rd.
[/quote]

My question has nothing to do with who WOS or even Silsbee plays. I was asking if you are the coach of Coldspring, would you do it?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="696690" timestamp="1257346612"]
[quote author=WO-S 89 link=topic=61833.msg696681#msg696681 date=1257346215]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=61833.msg696673#msg696673 date=1257345883]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My question has nothing to do with who WOS or even Silsbee plays. I was asking if you are the coach of Coldspring, would you do it?
[/quote]

To answer your question----------No they don't do it.

the thing is, Coldspring could still sit there starters and beat liberty with mostly back-ups in the game.......C-spring will play to win and when the game is in hand the starters will be on the sideline eating hotdogs and Nachos like Mark Sanchez..... ;D

[quote name="biggen" post="696834" timestamp="1257353033"]
the thing is, Coldspring could still sit there starters and beat liberty with mostly back-ups in the game.......C-spring will play to win and when the game is in hand the starters will be on the sideline eating hotdogs and Nachos like Mark Sanchez..... ;D
[/quote]

and like biggen. lol.  What time yall play?

I don't think any coach would go into a game with the intentions of losing it. That being said, if he doesn't start his vital players to rest them and keep them from injury and starts the backups and they lose then that's a different story. Like someone mentioned earlier, LaVega went to the state finals last year because they rested their starters the last game of the season and lost. Some people said they threw the game, others said he was a genius for doing it. Whichever it was, it gave him a shot at the title which is everyone's ultimate goal.

I personally don't think Barbay will rest his starters just because of who he is. But I will say this, I guarantee you that if he does start Andrew Leigh and Chad Allen and one of them sustains a seson ending injury, you can bet that there will be doubters on this board saying, "Why risk your starters in a meaningless game?"" They have clinched a playoff spot. Losing this game will not kill them and will, in fact, give them a better chance to advance to the next round. If you look at it from a coaching stand point, he gains nothing by risking his players friday except for a little pride and people on message boards claiming he took a dive (which I really don't think he gives a crap about). All in all, it will be interesting to see what he does.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="696913" timestamp="1257357157"]
I don't think any coach would go into a game with the intentions of losing it. That being said, if he doesn't start his vital players to rest them and keep them from injury and starts the backups and they lose then that's a different story. Like someone mentioned earlier, LaVega went to the state finals last year because they rested their starters the last game of the season and lost. Some people said they threw the game, others said he was a genius for doing it. Whichever it was, it gave him a shot at the title which is everyone's ultimate goal.

I personally don't think Barbay will rest his starters just because of who he is. But I will say this, I guarantee you that if he does start Andrew Leigh and Chad Allen and one of them sustains a seson ending injury, you can bet that there will be doubters on this board saying, "Why risk your starters in a meaningless game?"" They have clinched a playoff spot. Losing this game will not kill them and will, in fact, give them a better chance to advance to the next round. If you look at it from a coaching stand point, he gains nothing by risking his players friday except for a little pride and people on message boards claiming he took a dive (which I really don't think he gives a crap about). All in all, it will be interesting to see what he does.
[/quote]

I agree 110%.  Good post gas.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa