Is former Newton now Kville D-coordinator WT Johnston the best in SETX?

Guest Jmeek

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="690582" timestamp="1256924632"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61399.msg690566#msg690566 date=1256924089]
I told you NOT to motivate me to dig...

CT vs WT Last 10 yrs at WOS and Newton (Full seasons)

Shutouts:
CT-30
WT- 27

Points per game:
CT- 11.26
WT- 13.99

Number of opponents in each classification:
CT- 5A (2), 4A (70), 3A (49), 2A (0)
WT- 5A (0), 4A (11), 3A (62), 2A (63)

And the bonus statistic, wins vs one another:
CT- 6
WT- 0

Game, set, match... ;) ;D
[/quote]

Good stuff, Gas, even though you got the info from a guy that continiously makes snide remarks about this site. He made one regarding you needing this info. ;D Anyway, good stuff.

I do have a question or two. How can CT be 6-0 against WT if WOS has no 2A opponents? Is part of those numbers include this season? If so, WOS did play 2A Kirbyville. Again, I just ask because I do not know.
[/quote]

Don't know anything about the guys comments. I'll go address that where it needs to be. ;) These are for full seasons. This one is not complete. And the record against one another is lifetime against one another, but it is 4-0 during that same span. ;D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="690582" timestamp="1256924632"]Good stuff, Gas, even though you got the info from a guy that continiously makes snide remarks about this site. He made one regarding you needing this info. ;D Anyway, good stuff.[/quote]

I went and looked at his remarks and they weren't toward me, but this site. Unfortunately, there are many folks who feel that way. It's just to entertaining for me to stay away...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="690582" timestamp="1256924632"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61399.msg690566#msg690566 date=1256924089]
I told you NOT to motivate me to dig...

CT vs WT Last 10 yrs at WOS and Newton (Full seasons)

Shutouts:
CT-30
WT- 27

Points per game:
CT- 11.26
WT- 13.99

Number of opponents in each classification:
CT- 5A (2), 4A (70), 3A (49), 2A (0)
WT- 5A (0), 4A (11), 3A (62), 2A (63)

And the bonus statistic, wins vs one another:
CT- 6
WT- 0

Game, set, match... ;) ;D
[/quote]

Good stuff, Gas, even though you got the info from a guy that continiously makes snide remarks about this site. He made one regarding you needing this info. ;D Anyway, good stuff.

I do have a question or two. How can CT be 6-0 against WT if WOS has no 2A opponents? Is part of those numbers include this season? If so, WOS did play 2A Kirbyville. Again, I just ask because I do not know.
[/quote]

I don't know the answer for sure but maybe we haven't played them since they dropped to 2A. I think he addressed the Kirbyville issue for this year.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690474" timestamp="1256919786"]
One point here, if I may. WT wasn't defensive coordinator in '98 when Newton won the title over Daingerfield. Johnny "Squat Low" Westbrook was and had been for many years. When he retired WT became DC. I like WT and he is a fine coach. I think his tutelage by Lidney Thompson probably helped some, but I'm not too sure he would come back to Newton if given a chance. Hopefully he will. He has a way of motivating kids to play for him.
[/quote]
:o Sorry dude I played on the 98 team Johnny Westbrook was not coaching football then he quit a few years before the state championship season he wasn't even working at the school then he had allready retired in 1995,the coaches that year were [[center]b]THE MAIN COACHES[/b] [u]Barbay:head coach,WT Johnston:D coordinator,Thompson O-line,Reich WR-TE ,Hartsfield DB's,Hatton LB's[/u].[/center] There wasn't as many coaches back as there is now.

Although shut outs are very nice, I don't believe you can use this as a tool to measure greatness in a DC unless you give us the score of the game.
I mean if you beat someone 48-0 it is not the same as 14-0.
Most of the time a lesser team will score on your back ups late in a game. It happens all the time when you see a 48-6 game. I would have to see the scores of every game and the opponents of these games for shut outs to factor in. I mean if Coach Johnston shuts out Jasper and West Hardin , these are not the same. No more than Coach Thompson shutting out Jasper and Hampshire Fannett.

I believe if you are comparing DC's that you would have to measure on State Championships only.

[quote name="td" post="690519" timestamp="1256922162"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=61399.msg690474#msg690474 date=1256919786]
One point here, if I may. WT wasn't defensive coordinator in '98 when Newton won the title over Daingerfield. Johnny "Squat Low" Westbrook was and had been for many years. When he retired WT became DC. I like WT and he is a fine coach. I think his tutelage by Lidney Thompson probably helped some, but I'm not too sure he would come back to Newton if given a chance. Hopefully he will. He has a way of motivating kids to play for him.
[/quote]

Dang BooBoo do you ever get a fact right?????
[/quote]
I don't have to, I'm not on Jeopardy. :D

[quote name="Independent" post="690638" timestamp="1256927083"]
Although shut outs are very nice, I don't believe you can use this as a tool to measure greatness in a DC unless you give us the score of the game.
Most of the time a lesser team will score on your back ups late in a game. It happens all the time when you see a 48-6 game. I would have to see the scores of every game and the opponents of these games for shut outs to factor in. I mean if Coach Johnston shuts out Jasper and West Hardin , these are not the same. No more than Coach Thompson shutting out Jasper and Hampshire Fannett.

I believe if you are comparing DC's that you would have to measure on State Championships only.
[/quote]

Very good points. But I disagree with the "state championships" only statement.

[/quote]

You WT proponents brought up shut outs, not me. But, I disagree with you. I think over 122 games, points wash due to the law of large numbers. Also,  you can't measure State Championships because it takes more than defense to win a title. It takes defense, offense and special teams. So no, that's not a good measuring stick. I've seen teams with NO defense win titles because their offenses were just that good. In 2000, we went to the title game in 4A and our offense was terrible. But, if you think in the terms you are, you would say that we had the second best offense in the state... LOL Ask anyone who saw our offense that year and ask them if we had the second best... ;)

[quote name="Gasilla" post="690649" timestamp="1256927580"]
[quote author=Independent link=topic=61399.msg690638#msg690638 date=1256927083]

[/quote]

You WT proponents brought up shut outs, not me. But, I disagree with you. I think over 122 games, points wash due to the law of large numbers. Also,  you can't measure State Championships because it takes more than defense to win a title. It takes defense, offense and special teams. So no, that's not a good measuring stick. I've seen teams with NO defense win titles because their offenses were just that good. In 2000, we went to the title game in 4A and our offense was terrible. But, if you think in the terms you are, you would say that we had the second best offense in the state... LOL Ask anyone who saw our offense that year and ask them if we had the second best... ;)
[/quote]

Most special teams are your defensive starters (if you're smart). If the other team doesn't score as much as you, you win. Bottom line.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690643" timestamp="1256927342"]
[quote author=td link=topic=61399.msg690519#msg690519 date=1256922162]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=61399.msg690474#msg690474 date=1256919786]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Champ, he wasn't refering to you. ;D

[quote name="Independent" post="690652" timestamp="1256927787"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61399.msg690649#msg690649 date=1256927580]
[quote author=Independent link=topic=61399.msg690638#msg690638 date=1256927083]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Most special teams are your defensive starters (if you're smart). If the other team doesn't score as much as you, you win. Bottom line.
[/quote]

LOL...

[quote name="Gasilla" post="690653" timestamp="1256927791"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=61399.msg690643#msg690643 date=1256927342]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well the shoe fit, I was wrong! Can't blame me for being a little trigger happy! Sorry. I'll try to do better, but no promises. Why does either coach have to be "better" than the other. It's an argument that can never be settled. They both are good at what they do.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690664" timestamp="1256928313"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61399.msg690653#msg690653 date=1256927791]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=61399.msg690643#msg690643 date=1256927342]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well the shoe fit, I was wrong! Can't blame me for being a little trigger happy! Sorry. I'll try to do better, but no promises. Why does either coach have to be "better" than the other. It's an argument that can never be settled. They both are good at what they do.
[/quote]
AMEN.

People mistakenly think the only way that you are good at what you do is being recognized as being the "best". Striving to do your best is all anyone really can do and then let the chips fall where they may. Recognition sometimes is overrated in that context. Being recognized by your peers as the "best" should be an honor to be appreciated.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690684" timestamp="1256929111"]
People mistakenly think the only way that you are good at what you do is being recognized as being the "best". Striving to do your best is all anyone really can do and then let the chips fall where they may. Recognition sometimes is overrated in that context. Being recognized by your peers as the "best" should be an honor to be appreciated.
[/quote]

I bet you watch Joel Osteen on Sundays.

[/quote]

That's what they were referring to is shut outs a few pages back. You can't keep changing the rules until it fits your side of the argument. I don't mean you specifically, unless the shoe fits.  ;)

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690643" timestamp="1256927342"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

You are correct you aren't on Jeopardy. I get it now you are the kind of person that just spews crap out all over the place and hope that someone will believe it. You should spew in another direction if that's what you want. Otherwise you and your post are not a factor.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690895" timestamp="1256937526"]
Maybe you should use your third grade education and read some of the other post before running your mouth. And jumping on the old smite button.
[/quote]

I post as I read them Einstein. Not only that I don't smite. I'm also very proud of my third grade education thank you. It took me 7.5 years to get it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami