It's not just a game, it's a district game

AggiesAreWe

It is not just a game, it's a district game

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

To play or not to play, why is that even a question?

The West Orange-Stark Lady Mustangs volleyball team is set to take a forfeit this Friday against Hardin-Jefferson Lady Hawks.

The reason being is parents and players went to head coach Gwen-Kelly Hall and athletic director Dan Hooks and said eight of the team’s 11 players would be attending the Mustangs’ non-district football game at Brookshire Royal instead.

Football is king in Southeast Texas, that is no secret, but non-district football means nothing towards the playoff race.

Those players are part of either the drill team or cheerleaders and have a huge part in each and every football game.

The problem I have is Friday night is in no way a drill team or cheerleader contest.

The volleyball match does count for wins and losses and also has effects on other District 21-3A volleyball teams.

The forfeit hands Hardin-Jefferson a victory without even playing. What if that lone victory assists the Lady Hawks into the playoffs over one of the other district teams?

It is not right.

Players make a committment to teams and parents should be the ones who stand up and demand their children to stick to a team attitude.

WO-S volleyball is having one of its best seasons in volleyball, record wise, in several years with a 12-7 mark.

I in know way am against Coach Kelly-Hall, she has done a fine job with which she has had to work with other the last several years.

I know if I was a coach and I had players wanting to attend another event, I would quickly be looking for new players to make up my roster.

It is not fair to the three other Lady Mustangs’ volleyball players to take a loss simply because a majority of the team has something better to do.

The Mustangs are not playing in a state championship game Friday, it is a non-district game on the other side of Houston.

I spoke to several other volleyball coaches and they reported players who skip a district game to attend a non-district football game would be finding another sport to play in a hurry.

What is right is right and allowing a district volleyball game to not be played is far from right.

Guest rambleonus

In 19-4A Volleyball plays at 4:30 on Fridays and 6:30 on Tuesdays.  Sometimes its tough getting to the 4:30 game on Friday but I know the girls appreciate it.

A lot of smaller schools have girls who do multiple things during the fall. I completely agree that it is unfair to the other three lady mustangs. However, what if we look at the flip-side. Wouldn't the girls also not be honoring their commitment if they didn't cheer or dance. The problem is they have two commitments at the same time. Does WO-S not have a JV team where they can pull-up players? I'm not saying it would be pretty, but hey, they would have to play. Also, couldn't the girls leave the game by 5:30 or 6:00 and be at the football game by halftime? Seems like a very tough situation for the girls and I wish there was something that could be done so there would not be a forfeit.

Guess what???  Sometimes kids have to make choices.  If you committed to the volleyball team then you don't try out for cheerleader!  If you want to be a cheerleader then be a cheerleader! I am sure there are plenty of girls who will take your spot.  So they reschedule a game so that these kids get their way.  Ridiculous.

Guest bleed orange

Guess what???  Sometimes kids have to make choices.  If you committed to the volleyball team then you don't try out for cheerleader!  If you want to be a cheerleader then be a cheerleader! I am sure there are plenty of girls who will take your spot.  So they reschedule a game so that these kids get their way.  Ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with doing both. But I do agree with you

Guess what???  Sometimes kids have to make choices.  If you committed to the volleyball team then you don't try out for cheerleader!  If you want to be a cheerleader then be a cheerleader! I am sure there are plenty of girls who will take your spot.  So they reschedule a game so that these kids get their way.  Ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with doing both. But I do agree with you

This "rescheduled" game will never be played, trust me. ::)

Guest bleed orange

The only thing I don't understand is, they could have made it to the football game. They may miss a little of the first quarter but that would be it. My daughter would have been at the volleyball game first, football second. By the way she was a cheerleader and played volleyball.

Guest bleed orange

Miss more than that!!!!!! Brookshire is on the other side of Katy. Remember you have traffic in Houston and Katy. Buses have to drive slower anyway.

Not much more, they would be there before halftime.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami