Shaking hands after a game

When you watch football on Saturday and Sunday, you never see teams "lining up at the 50" to walk across the field and shake hands. Why do all high school teams line up on the 50 to shake hands. Why don't they just walk across the field, shake hands with who you want to shake hands with, and go in? Lining up at the 50 to go shake hands reminds me of soccer, and we sure don't need to let that sport leak into football!!!

I would think that is the best way.  You have young men who just got finished hitting each other.  Half of the guys just lost and probably aren't in the best of moods.  This way the coaches can have their eye on them and nothing bad happens.  You just walk by each other and say "good game".  Their isn't the chance of much back and forth talk that could lead to their coaches making them run til their tongues drag the ground.

When you watch football on Saturday and Sunday, you never see teams "lining up at the 50" to walk across the field and shake hands. Why do all high school teams line up on the 50 to shake hands. Why don't they just walk across the field, shake hands with who you want to shake hands with, and go in? Lining up at the 50 to go shake hands reminds me of soccer, and we sure don't need to let that sport leak into football!!!

This.

::)

I would think that is the best way.  You have young men who just got finished hitting each other.  Half of the guys just lost and probably aren't in the best of moods.  This way the coaches can have their eye on them and nothing bad happens.  You just walk by each other and say "good game".  Their isn't the chance of much back and forth talk that could lead to their coaches making them run til their tongues drag the ground.

I agree!

I think the College and Professional teams have forgotten about their roots. They started playing football (most of them) for the love of the game. I think to shake your opponents hand after a hard fought game is a sign of mutual respect, for the effort that was given during the game.

IMO and most of you will disagree but i could care less if you line up and congradulate the other team for trying hard. At the end of the night its a competion. You do not want the other team to have a good game so why should you have to tell them that after its all over? Nobody means it when they tell the other team they played good. Football is war and thats how i see it. FOR REAL

IMO and most of you will disagree but i could care less if you line up and congradulate the other team for trying hard. At the end of the night its a competion. You do not want the other team to have a good game so why should you have to tell them that after its all over? Nobody means it when they tell the other team they played good. Football is war and thats how i see it. FOR REAL

Look at it this way: I don't know if you follow the UFC but those guys can go at it for 15 - 25 minutes of head busting, bone crushing war and shake hands and most of the time even hug. It is just about respecting your opponent.

I don't think they do that in soccer.  If you want to know what it reminds me of...it is the Stanley Cup (Hockey) playoff game.  Where men have been hitting each other both with body and fist, yet they have enough sportsmanship in them to line up and shake the hand of their opponent at the end of a hard fought series.

Someone go up to one of these guys and tell them they are sissies!

Why not, I think it gives the kids that did not get in the game the opportunity to catch and spread the FLU.  ;D

I'm looking at your tag Weed and your statement and they seem to clash. The handshake is all about teaching good sportsmanship to the players and even fans. I remember the way LaMarque acted after we beat them in the playoffs two years ago, there were quite a few comments made about their lack of sportsmanship when even some of their coaches just headed to the field house.

We should never give-up trying to teach our youth sportsmanship and class. They see enough negative ways to behave every day in real life. Respect for your opponent after any hard-fought athletic event is great, and who knows, maybe our athletes actually enjoy telling their peers on the other team what a great job they did!

Why not, I think it gives the kids that did not get in the game the opportunity to catch and spread the FLU.  ;D

I'm looking at your tag Weed and your statement and they seem to clash. The handshake is all about teaching good sportsmanship to the players and even fans. I remember the way LaMarque acted after we beat them in the playoffs two years ago, there were quite a few comments made about their lack of sportsmanship when even some of their coaches just headed to the field house.

First of all -- it was a joke that must not have been very successful.  But since you want to try and define sportsmanship as a simple handshake that is mandated by lining up and telling players they must do it, well I can't buy into that.  I do not determine sportsmanship by seeing how well two teams walk the 50 yard line.  If you check my tag --I see it as lifestyle exhibited and unsolicited by an individual (unsolicited is keyword here).  It can be taught --but it cant be forced.

Now take away the mandated line-up requiring everyone to shake hands, and you will see those who actually exhibit and practice sportsmanship.  So in conclusion, sometimes you have to WEED (w/pun) the garden to see the cream of the crop. 

Now, thanks for checking and making sure I am... or am not... a hypocrite.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83