Nederland Impressions.

smitty

For me the stats don't tell the story, I came away impressed and hopeful for what the season could be.  Our defense tackled much better and was on the field quite a bit due to the 7 turnovers.  The turnovers we can fix.  We have a lot of potential on defense.  Offensively, we figured out how to give Kirby time in the 2nd half and he was having great success.  Overally, we could've folded up camp after the first two picks in our first two possessions.  But they didn't, that IMPRESSED me.  We're also a week of practice behind where we would normally be.  All in all, I'm very encouraged.

Guest Brubaker

I believe you, PNGFan should know something about being OVERHYPED.  Hey bud, looks like you've got your own work to do over at the reservation.  See you in a month or so.

My thoughts from last night...

1. The defense is improved in my opinion. We do hit hard, but still do not always wrap up. I was most impressed on defense by #24 Holden Butler. He was all over the place. We need to be more alert on fumbles and tipped balls.

2. Hopefully it was because WO-S has great speed and a solid 2ndary, but it appeared to me that we lack a "big play" WR like we have been accustomed to in the past.. i.e. Cardenas, Butler, Atterberry, Askew, Yoder etc. Unless I missed something, Salenga was the only WR to catch a pass all night. I would like to see us throw the ball up high to Forney and let him go get it.

3. I thought the running backs looked fine, but I am not sure we have a home run threat back there. I did, however, think all of our backs ran hard all night last night. Lovelady and Cardenas have a nose for the goalline.

4. Hopefully Kirby is okay. He got off to a slow start and we got in a hole, but once he settled down he looked good. Tyler Smith will be fine once he gets reps with the first team. I think he will be a very capable backup. Tough position to be put in last night.

5. WO-S is a good ballclub and deserved the win. Nederland did not catch many breaks last night. Game was close for the most part and got a little out of hand very late in the game. WO-S did, however, dominate in the stats. Bottom line is you can't turn the ball over 7 times against a great team and expect to win. I think both teams will improve thru the season. I think Nederland will battle for 3rd or 4th in district while WO-S should win theirs and hopefully make a playoff run.

If I'm a Nederland fan I feel pretty good.  They have some atheletes, and they are intense.  Held their own against a very athletic club.  They will not have 7 or so turnovers every week, that's hard on a defense.  Main thing is the QB is alright, fine young man deserves a break. I still believe they make the second season.

Nederland is over hyped!!!

Buddy of mine from WOS text me last night during the game. He said WOS was very sloppy and Nederland other than Bellow was awful.

Now this right here is funny...someone from PNG calling Nederland or anyone else for that matter, overhyped...how about a team who's fans thought they would roll BH and have starters on the sideline by halftime holding on for a one point win despite being the beneficiary of 7 first half turnovers.

For me the stats don't tell the story, I came away impressed and hopeful for what the season could be.  Our defense tackled much better and was on the field quite a bit due to the 7 turnovers.  The turnovers we can fix.  We have a lot of potential on defense.  Offensively, we figured out how to give Kirby time in the 2nd half and he was having great success.  Overally, we could've folded up camp after the first two picks in our first two possessions.  But they didn't, that IMPRESSED me.  We're also a week of practice behind where we would normally be.  All in all, I'm very encouraged.

Good post.  Best of luck to the Bulldogs this year......! (Well, except for that one week....) Prayers with Kirby.

Guest pirates

Nederland is over hyped!!!

Buddy of mine from WOS text me last night during the game. He said WOS was very sloppy and Nederland other than Bellow was awful.

Now this right here is funny...someone from PNG calling Nederland or anyone else for that matter, overhyped...how about a team who's fans thought they would roll BH and have starters on the sideline by halftime holding on for a one point win despite being the beneficiary of 7 first half turnovers.

Every program goes through it's ups and downs.  Look at the over all program at Nederland and PNG, AWESOME.

I think nederlands defense is fiesty and has some potential. They bowed up a few times and made some big stops. I don't know how the offense will be if Bellows is gone for the season. They did not move the ball much after he left the game, but that is a bad situation to be thrown into. WOS just had way to much speed.

Good lord, to judge a team by the first game is ridiculous. In 1999 the year PNG went to state we squeaked by Kelley in the first game by a slim 3 points. Trust me , we were glad to get that one. A lot of Nederland fans rode that at work, only beating Kelley by three. Later that season we beat Ned 30 - 8 and went all the way to state. I wouldn't get too excited about the first few games.Nederland will be fine, they played a good team.

you guys there in nederland will be fine, two good teams went after it friday ,both have alot of work to do on both sides of the ball.your  kids have a super coaching staff and lots to work with YOU WILL BE FINE .i just wish someone could have taken a picture of kids from west orange  praying for your QB, good luck to you this year

Good lord, to judge a team by the first game is ridiculous. In 1999 the year PNG went to state we squeaked by Kelley in the first game by a slim 3 points. Trust me , we were glad to get that one. A lot of Nederland fans rode that at work, only beating Kelley by three. Later that season we beat Ned 30 - 8 and went all the way to state. I wouldn't get too excited about the first few games.Nederland will be fine, they played a good team.

The topic of discussion was Nederland "impressions". Everyone is giving theirs. I don't think anyone is "judging" anything, just giving what was ask.

I remember that 30-8 game. We came in there averaging 40 ppg. Dustin Long's first pass should have been intercepted. i think that may have been the writing on the wall. Just my two cents.

Wew are not so much judging, just discussing what needs to be done and some tweaking. Hard to tweak losing the best QB in the area. Good luck to all area teams.

I think nederlands defense is fiesty and has some potential. They bowed up a few times and made some big stops. I don't know how the offense will be if Bellows is gone for the season. They did not move the ball much after he left the game, but that is a bad situation to be thrown into. WOS just had way to much speed.

I was listening on the radio, but from the way its was described it sounds like the D is improved quite a bit.  They had to protect a short field most of the night and did give up a couple of big plays , but did much better on tackling.

I think Ned was a lot like wo-s in that at times you looked good and at times you looked flat.To give up all those turnovers and stay within 7 points just about the whole game is a victory in it self.And Bellows was getting better in the 2nd half before he went down.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124