*Lumberton vs. HF Updates/Lumberton Wins/Comments*

The passing game looked good on the highlights.  I talked to some Lumberton fans and they said it was pretty balanced with almost 50/50 run pass.  In the years past they ran probably 80% of the time.

Are they going to try to be more balanced all year or was it just because of the opponent?

Guest LR1969

Lumberton did what should be expected against an inferior team (no disrespect towards HF). I would say the same thing about Lumberton if they were playing Southlake Carroll (ha). I don't know if last night provided any real indication of where Lumberton is right now but I will say that Hughes did show some obvious improvement after last years experience. I think the passing game will definitely be a factor this season. A confident qb at the high school level makes up for a lot of inadequacies at other positions. As for the second/third string comment earlier; I was at the game and although I did see some 2nd/3rd string players coming in late I was actually surprised that so many starters were still playing in the 4th quarter. This definitely was not a case of Lumberton pulling its starters early. They played and gained some valuable experience so I hope noone makes the comment that it would have been worse had the starters stayed in the game. They were in there for most of the trip. Congrats Raiders!

Its_All_About_The_U  and WTB ...  I understand what you are saying.  Are you talking about the Dayton Scrimmage or the Dayton game 2 years ago?  I was under the impression that you went to the air on Dayton in that game 2 years ago on the last drive.  I assumed that your identiti is smashmouth football with the stud LB locking it down in the middle.  I just don't see you abandoning what made you successful for an air attack.  You know the old saying, if it's not broke, then don't fix it.  Sorry if it seem like I was disrespecting your offense in any way...

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

Its_All_About_The_U  and WTB ...  I understand what you are saying.  Are you talking about the Dayton Scrimmage or the Dayton game 2 years ago?  I was under the impression that you went to the air on Dayton in that game 2 years ago on the last drive.  I assumed that your identiti is smashmouth football with the stud LB locking it down in the middle.  I just don't see you abandoning what made you successful for an air attack.  You know the old saying, if it's not broke, then don't fix it.  Sorry if it seem like I was disrespecting your offense in any way...

No offense taken. I was referring to the scrimmage against Dayton's 1st team secondary where Hughes also looked good. The QB two years go was Bryce DeJohn that led the team to a win on the last drive. I believe that Lumberton's identity is what you are saying but I think this year will be a little different based on the current team/players Lumberton has. The coaches have to adapt to the situation based on what they have. Like WTB said, it definitely looks as if it will be a more balanced attack this year which could be a good thing. Instead of opposing teams trying to shut down the run by stacking the box against a one dimensional offense, they now have to worry about the passing game as well as the run. This would have helped us a lot last year, especially in the playoffs against Crosby.

Lumberton did what should be expected against an inferior team (no disrespect towards HF). I would say the same thing about Lumberton if they were playing Southlake Carroll (ha). I don't know if last night provided any real indication of where Lumberton is right now but I will say that Hughes did show some obvious improvement after last years experience. I think the passing game will definitely be a factor this season. A confident qb at the high school level makes up for a lot of inadequacies at other positions. As for the second/third string comment earlier; I was at the game and although I did see some 2nd/3rd string players coming in late I was actually surprised that so many starters were still playing in the 4th quarter. This definitely was not a case of Lumberton pulling its starters early. They played and gained some valuable experience so I hope noone makes the comment that it would have been worse had the starters stayed in the game. They were in there for most of the trip. Congrats Raiders!

LR 1969, WHAT GAME were you watching? In the middle of the 3rd and all of the4th quarter there were probalby fewer than 3 or 4 starters on the field at the same time. On another note, If we struggled that much running against HF, I hate to see how we are going to fare against much better run defense's we will face in 20-4A. Im hoping our small line will start to find there way and open up some running lanes. We are very small up fornt.

I was VERY impressed with Hughes, he has definitely been working with someone during the offseason. When Lumbertons o-line comes around the Raiders should be a POTENT team with good Defense and a BALANCED offense. Soulja we r giving u a lil scouting report hear, you can believe it or not. Honestly I think we should just let them see for themselves  ;D !!

Lumbertons offensive line isn't as big as it has been the past couple of years, but they stood up to some big ol boys last night, there was four up front for HF that were pretty good size and they held their own against them so i guess we will see down the road. I know HF is a 3A team but they are a team just like everyone else.

It was good seeing you too.

BORAM, good to see you last night!

Lumberton is mostly going to depend on it's passing game in order to move the chains. It is obvious that someone has been working with Hughes during the offseason because he really did a good job of spreading the ball and I only noticed a few times when he had someone else wide open for a possible score. I will say this, his weakness appears to be putting some speed on the ball when coverage is tight. If this doesn't happen then there will be problems against most of the district teams.

The Raiders Defense will be the strength to this team bringing home the W.

Guest LR1969

Didn't mean to make a big deal out of the 2nd/3rd string bit. I just know that myself and several other guys watching with me all commented about many of the starters still playing and wondering why they were still in the game. No big deal. Not trying to negate the win or anything. Kinda early in the season to already be stirring the pot (haha). Didn't mean to. Good luck to the Raiders next week. Barbers Hill should provide us a better picture of where we stand this season.

I saw the highlights last night.  I was like 'who are the pop warner team that Lumberton is throwing the ball like that on'?  No disrespect to H-F, but Lumberton will not be throwing on teams in 20-4a like that.  They will have to go to bread and butter power running and good defense once district starts.  Good win, Raiders.  Welcome to the 1-0 club!  ;)

I am not sure the kids from HF can take you comments any other way but with disrespect!! I saw the game and was impressed with Lumberton. I very different look from years past. They will live and die with the QB and passing game this year. And I assure you that Lumberton had starters in the game into the 3rd quarter including the starting QB which really surprised me considering his importance to this years success. And after looking at the roster, HF had 34 kids on the roster and 21 of them were 10th and 11th graders, this included 5 injured on the sideline with 4 being seniors including starting DB and TB from last year, Lumberton probably was playing what should be HF JV team, but unfortunately it has turned into this years varsity.

Hang in there Horns because your time will come in the very near future with that much youth but only if you can improve and do give up from this "on the job training." You guys played hard and had some bright spots last night.

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

I saw the highlights last night.  I was like 'who are the pop warner team that Lumberton is throwing the ball like that on'?  No disrespect to H-F, but Lumberton will not be throwing on teams in 20-4a like that.  They will have to go to bread and butter power running and good defense once district starts.  Good win, Raiders.  Welcome to the 1-0 club!  ;)

I am not sure the kids from HF can take you comments any other way but with disrespect!! I saw the game and was impressed with Lumberton. I very different look from years past. They will live and die with the QB and passing game this year. And I assure you that Lumberton had starters in the game into the 3rd quarter including the starting QB which really surprised me considering his importance to this years success. And after looking at the roster, HF had 34 kids on the roster and 21 of them were 10th and 11th graders, this included 5 injured on the sideline with 4 being seniors including starting DB and TB from last year, Lumberton probably was playing what should be HF JV team, but unfortunately it has turned into this years varsity.

Hang in there Horns because your time will come in the very near future with that much youth but only if you can improve and do give up from this "on the job training." You guys played hard and had some bright spots last night.

Just to touch on what you said about the starting QB being in late in the game...The backup QB did not suit out so he kinda had to stay in .

Just to touch on what you said about the starting QB being in late in the game...The backup QB did not suit out so he kinda had to stay in .

[/quote

Still believe you have tp have someone else tp get snaps for the health of the remainder of the season to be hopeful

Just joined the Forum. Bull and I broadcast the game Friday night and Lumberton did look good. I was impressed by how sharp Hughes looked for game 1 even if it was against a team not as talented. His passes were tight and on the money. He started out 11 for his first 12 and the one incompletion was dropped.

I saw where some of you had problems listening. We did have some minor equipment problems that knocked us off a couple of times. Once for a short time in the first half and once for about 5 minutes in the second half. Hopefully we have worked through those problems and they won't happen this week. We'll be there with them at Barbers Hill and all season. Looks like its going to be a good year.

Kent

Lumberton was playing JV players before the half was done. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder