WOS Hires New Basketball Coach!!!!!

WO-S grad Newton named Mustangs basketball coach

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Don Newton is coming home.

Newton, a 1990 graduate of West Orange-Stark High School, has been named the next Mustangs boys’ head basketball coach.

Newton had huge success as a high school basketball coach in North Carolina. Newton brings a 181-99 overall record to WO-S.

“I’m as excited as I can be,” Newton said. “I am looking forward to getting back down there.”

Newton said the transition to WO-S was perfect due to the fact he will be closer to his parents, Jim and Hallie Newton, who live in Orange and he will be taking in his son who will attend WO-S in the eighth grade.

“It worked out perfectly,” Newton added. “I will be able to soley concentrate on basketball and that will make me a better father and coach. You know the athletes at West Orange are right around the corner. I am not sure what all we have coming back but I am not worried about that. I am going to come in and put in the time and the athletes will come. I want to put excitement into the Mustangs. The kids will play hard and it will be up-tempo and we will put up points. Now whether that leads to district titles, final fours or state championships, we will have to see. It has worked in the past so far.”

There are eight different instances Newton was selected Coach of the Year for his efforts and his teams reached the Final Four twice, 2000 and 2003.

Newton brought Chesnee High School in South Carolina to the state finals in 2000 with a 23-6 record while reaching the Final 8 in 1999, 2003 and 2003.

Newton’s North Carolina Weddington High School team finished with a 21-7 mark.

Newton also brings a wealth of experience as an atheletic director. In seven years as an AD, his teams won 38 conference titles.

“I am very pleased to announce the new Head Basketball Coach for West Orange-Stark High School. Mr. Donald Newton, a WO-S High School graduate, will be returning home to take the reigns as coach of the Mustang basketball team,” WO-C Superintendent Dr. Taylor Collins said.

Newton was most recently the athletic director and head boys basketball coach at Cuthbertson High School in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“Don Newton had a stellar basketball career as a Mustang and as a college player,” Collins said. “He is one of the most accomplished coaches of high school basketball in the state of North Carolina where basketball reigns supreme. He will bring great excitement to local basketball. I am glad he is coming home.”

WO-S athletic director Dan Hooks agreed.

“Don Newton is a West Orange-Stark graduate. He played Basketball here and has family in Orange. He has an excellent coaching record and he will be an asset to our program,” Hooks said.

Newton knows what it takes to work with Hooks after seeing Hooks coach while attending WO-S.

“The level of importance Dr. Collins and Coach Hooks put on basketball is first class,” Newton said. “Working with Coach Hooks is working with a legend. He was a legend when I graduated in 1990. I am looking forward to working with him.”

The WO-S position became available after Zach Quinn left to coach his alma mater, Vidor.

The Mustangs were 22-12 a year ago and made a trip to the Class 3A Region III playoffs.

Guest DickVitale

Since when is "who" coach bashing?.....I just have never heard of the guy.....And neither have you... ::) ::)....I wish him luck though....whoever he is, I hope he beats HJ next season!!! ;) ;)

Guest DickVitale

Didnt want it, did not apply for it....I have a great job, thanks....I just thought they would give Ron Jackson a shot...I wonder if he even applied? Good luck to the new guy, anyway.....Hope he puts 20 on HJ twice next season....I would, but there was no more "room" in the tourney... ::) ::) ( I am only kidding, I know the deal HJ fans....just messing with ole Lazeek)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami