Golden Triangle vs Bay Area: 4A Baseball

Guest Ranger83

Guest Ranger83

OK. 19-4A was less than impressive in their series with 20-4A. As a matter of fact, I would say we got our  hind ends kicked. Our only survivor, the senior heavy Barbers Hill Eagles had to go to 3 games with a young, Trae Hester-less, Vidor Pirates team. What gives?

I've tried to argue that most of the teams in 19-4A are young. Even that does not hold water when you compare rosters. Most of the teams in 20-4A have young lineups as well.

I do not believe that the 20-4A kids "work harder" or "want it more" than those kids in 19-4A. I've been around too many of them and have seen their work ethic.

So my question to the members of this forum is: As of right now, today, what is the defining area that has made the Golden Triangle superior in 4A baseball?

#1 you have 2 coaches in  GT that have 800 wins together and will be in Tx HOF

#2 Baseball is the No 1 sport in the GT

I agree with admin. Griff and Stone are as solid as they come. Nederland has one of the best 1-2 punches around in Bellow and Dean and Vidor is always a tough out - they beat the Bears.

Overall Aggies I do believe our baseball teams have more success than football.

Guest Ranger83

#1  BH-Staubaum - 300 wins

GCM- Rupp - 600 wins in baseball coaching career

Crosby- Thompson- 3rd or 4th year as a head coach

C E King- Gates - 2nd year as a head coach

KP- Thames- not sure, but his young teams have made the playoffs their first two yrs in existence

Dayton- not sure of the coach, I think it's his first year at Dayton

GP- ?

NF- ?

So I am not sure about the edge in coaching.

#2  I really feel that the Golden Triangle has a better developed youth baseball program. (Not too sure about baseball being #1 sport in any area of Texas.) In Baytown alone, we have 4 separate Little Leagues: North, Central, West and East. This does not include Highlands Little League that now feeds only GCM.

I agree with admin. Griff and Stone are as solid as they come. Nederland has one of the best 1-2 punches around in Bellow and Dean and Vidor is always a tough out - they beat the Bears.

Overall Aggies I do believe our baseball teams have more success than football.

That does not make it the #1 sport in the area. It may be the most successful sport, and that's subject for debate, but as far as popular, football is KING around here and anywhere in the state of Texas.

I guess it's all about what one thinks is the criteria of being a #1 sport.

I'd say you decide an areas number one sport on wins on the field not butts in seats. Sorry I love football and as far as a spectator sport it's number one everywhere in the state but Southeast Texas has become to me as follows.

1. Baseball

2. Basketball

3. Football

Ok start throwing the stones now but records don't lie.

I agree but being popular doesn't mean it's the top sport. At one time Southeast Texas was a football power but things have changed even though people have a hard time admitting it and this is coming from a PN-G Indian fan. Baseball year in and year out has teams advancing to at least the Region Quarterfinals and most years State, the same can be said for basketball I go to Austin almost every year. When football goes it's very special cause it doesn't happen often. From the 50's through the 80's SETX was in the Semifinals on a regualr basis but not lately.

KP- Thames- not sure, but his young teams have made the playoffs their first two yrs in existence

GP- ?

NF- ?

#2  I really feel that the Golden Triangle has a better developed youth baseball program. (Not too sure about baseball being #1 sport in any area of Texas.) In Baytown alone, we have 4 separate Little Leagues: North, Central, West and East. This does not include Highlands Little League that now feeds only GCM.

I agree totally about GT having the better developed youth program. I also believe that some of it has to due w/ school size and employment. The GT area has lost employment the last few years at many of the chemical plants. As a result the schools have not grown in recent years...for the most part. On the other hand, BH is one of the fastest growing school districts in the state. Two schools in 19-4A are new (KP and GC) another result of growing population and more kids that will try out for sports. Huffman did drop to 3A...mostly a result of the Atasociata (? ) school opening. Huffman will move back up quickly. Over time the growing school districts will show an increase in athletic performance simply by having more kids to choose from.

BTW, Gil Staubam @ BH has just over 400 wins.  ;)

Guest Ranger83

GP- ?

NF- ?

I agree totally about GT having the better developed youth program. I also believe that some of it has to due w/ school size and employment. The GT area has lost employment the last few years at many of the chemical plants. As a result the schools have not grown in recent years...for the most part. On the other hand, BH is one of the fastest growing school districts in the state. Two schools in 19-4A are new (KP and GC) another result of growing population and more kids that will try out for sports. Huffman did drop to 3A...mostly a result of the Atasociata (? ) school opening. Huffman will move back up quickly. Over time the growing school districts will show an increase in athletic performance simply by having more kids to choose from.

100 more reasons it's not the coaching.  :)

Totally agree with the growth in the areas. I have been amazed that the GT area schools have been able to stay in 4A for so long. I really feel that GCCISD made a HUGE mistake in building a 3rd high school. It has only watered down our athletics. RSS has done well in a 6 team district, but they will feel the pain in about 2 yrs or so. REL will more than likely move down to 4A in 2010 and GCM will move to 5A.

GP- ?

NF- ?

Totally agree with the growth in the areas. I have been amazed that the GT area schools have been able to stay in 4A for so long. I really feel that GCCISD made a HUGE mistake in building a 3rd high school. It has only watered down our athletics. RSS has done well in a 6 team district, but they will feel the pain in about 2 yrs or so. REL will more than likely move down to 4A in 2010 and GCM will move to 5A.

Hey Ranger83....are you going to catch any playoff game tonight ?

Guest Ranger83

GP- ?

NF- ?

Nope. My daughter has a Jr High Band Concert. So I'll be sitting inside, listening to the soothing melodies of the Highlands Eagle Band. ;D

I think the little league system is part of the problem in Baytown. Why we have 4 leagues is beyond me. Just imagine the allstar teams we would have had if we had 2 leagues. East and Central still hold their own but add in a few north leaguers and west leaguers and it would be a different deal.

When I came through at RSS, PNG was in our district as was jefferson, and of course west brook and central....I never was impressed with PNG even though they had some good players in 95-96.  The district crown we claimed was really just between us, WB and REL.

GP- ?

NF- ?

Nope. My daughter has a Jr High Band Concert. So I'll be sitting inside, listening to the soothing melodies of the Highlands Eagle Band. ;D

Good stuff. Enjoy.

I believe it is because alot of the GT kids play year round baseball and no other sport. My son has played 70 to 90 games a year for the last 3 or 4 years. Alot of the kids  participate in the high school summer league we have been doin the last 2yrs. I hear that 16 different schools are in on it this summer and most if not all of the varsity kids participate also the other under calsses.Its really a great way to get in about 60 extra at bats . Throw in baberuth league and your kid can get alot of looks at the plate.

I don't know about year round, several kids on Neds team play football, including Bellows,Vidrine,and Cardenas. Most of the GT kids play erach other in BR, since they allow JC and OC kids to play in that league. You should look at LL and BR world series appearances (and wins) from the GT area.

This area is blessed with baseball history which feeds down to the younger players. You can find instruction or a game almost 365 days of the year from ages 8-18.

We have teams that fit all levels of play from some of the best little leagues in Texas, not just talent wise but organization to the Select leagues of Sun Devils and GT Baseball. Since select mostly travels on weekends the Sr Babe ruth league provides games Monday thru Thursday during the summer consisting of 8 teams with a roster of 130-140 kids that play 2 games per week.

You can't have baseball without umpires, our local chapter show up and that's a big plus.

Guest Ranger83

This area is blessed with baseball history which feeds down to the younger players. You can find instruction or a game almost 365 days of the year from ages 8-18.

We have teams that fit all levels of play from some of the best little leagues in Texas, not just talent wise but organization to the Select leagues of Sun Devils and GT Baseball. Since select mostly travels on weekends the Sr Babe ruth league provides games Monday thru Thursday during the summer consisting of 8 teams with a roster of 130-140 kids that play 2 games per week.

You can't have baseball without umpires, our local chapter show up and that's a big plus.

We have our fair share of quality "Select" teams in the area. Our problem is that there are not enough for the number of players we have. I guess the Baytown Knights are the most quality local program of all the teams. The rest are in Houston.

Bay Area Baseball has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years. Now, almost every high school in the area has teams participating in their Connie Mack and Mickey Mantle league in the fall and summer.

We do not have anything like Ford Park or the Academy in the Baytown or surrounding area. We just got some indoor cages in Crosby. But Baytown, with 60K plus in population, has nothing except some pitching machines that have been there for decades. We do have Baseball USA and Field of Dreams near by, but they are 30 mins away.

We just do not have a commitment to baseball.

The Baytown Knights seem to have some better coaching these days with Rupp, Tadlock, Kade Johnson, and Shane Nance. They were not around when I came thru, in fact planty was still coaching Colt League which has since died. I played with the Houston Wildcats who at that time were kind of the premier group along with the a few others. (not sure what  happened to jax grill jaybirds, the pasadena stars, and the kyle chapman teams). One of my coaches was Phil Cross who is now onboard with the heat and president of baseball usa.

At one time Chris Sampson and Kade were going to build a Baseball USA type field in Baytown but around that time Chris got pulled up to the Astros so his priorities changed. We could really use one. It has hard for me to believe the city let jenkins park go, when lee college played there it was a really really nice place.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder