Strake Jesuit

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a private school.  And as such they are able to recruit on a national and even international basis.  that's why they have a good basketball program.

Back in the day Silsbee used to play them in football.  Strake was a small school then, and Silsbee could usually count that game as a victory.  Those days are gone, especially in basketball.

Strake Jesuit is by far not an Oak Hill academy. They don't bring players in from across the nation just to play one year of basketball in the program.

Just like a public school district middle school and junior high feeds into high school, Jesuit has 6 or 8 Catholic schools that feed into its high school.

To place this on a more local scale, if Kelly decided they wanted to stop playing in TAPPS, and wanted to join UIL as a 2A or 3A school, only kids from St. Anne, St. Anthony, probably St. Christopher in PA, St. Mary in Orange and possibly All Saints would be allowed to jump into the program and contribute to a varsity sport as a freshman.

If someone from any public school in or out of BISD wanted to attend Kelly, they would have to meet student transfer guidelines in order to compete in anything UIL. Don't quote me, but I believe if a kid who is zoned to attend Bellaire H.S. wants to go to Strake Jesuit, and he's really good at baseball as a 13 year old 8TH grader, then he can't suit up for varsity until at least his sophomore year. Same thing works for a kid who wants to transfer from a Houston area high school into S-J.

The final factor in this whole situation is if you don't have the grades, you don't get into the school. When I graduated in 2003, I can promise you that our top 10 athletes in the school were on the honor roll. Not everyone in the school was on honor roll (including myself) but athletes were forced to push harder.

I contribute Strake Jesuits early success in football, cross-country, and basketball in the UIL directly to the mental capacity and strength of the student-athletes involved. Not only are these athletes brainiacs, but a HUGE majority of them show more discipline that someone who can run fast or jump high in the Houston-area public school system.

I am biased, but I've seen "private schools that recruit" in Missouri and Louisianna, and Strake Jesuit rides the same boat that gets a transfer here and there.

strake doesn't recruit? HA!

why not just say you don't get caught and others do the same and you do it just to keep up. And pleeeeeeeze don't gimme that "private company gives scholarships on a blind basis without regard to athletic ability" garbage. Its widely known. Yes, others do it. But Strake DOES do it.

And why would a competing coach say so in print. Would come off as sour grapes. Politically correct speech rules.

Guest aschrapps

I'm so sick of this. Like I have said before all this is about is the fact that Strake is winning. If they were losing people would be glad they were in UIL. The fact is the UIL allowed Strake to be in plain and simple, it's not like Strake bought their way in.

So let me get this straight...Strake only has a good program because they recruit? It has nothing to do with the fact that they have an excellent coach? It has nothing to do with the fact that they play great defense? It has nothing to do with the fact that their players work extremely hard? Give me a break. I don't see anyone complaining about Oak Hill Academy poaching Houston talent like Keith Gallon. Recruit on an international basis? Yeah let me tell you they send the Brothers and Nuns to Bosnia and Croatia looking for the next Darko Milicic.

Strake Jesuit is one of the best places for a Student/Athlete. Let's see where there best three players are going: Rice University (17th best in the nation), University of Notre Dame (18th best in the nation), Penn State (47th best in the nation). Hmmm yeah let me see there going there just for the basketball. Strake has provided them with a great education and they are going to places where they can continue their education.

Also there is an entrance exam to get into Strake, so yeah they arent just pulling in people left and right to come to their school. Quit complaining about Strake, why not celebrate them and the fact that they still emphasize the STUDENT part in Student/Athlete.

I'm so sick of this. Like I have said before all this is about is the fact that Strake is winning. If they were losing people would be glad they were in UIL. The fact is the UIL allowed Strake to be in plain and simple, it's not like Strake bought their way in.

So let me get this straight...Strake only has a good program because they recruit? It has nothing to do with the fact that they have an excellent coach? It has nothing to do with the fact that they play great defense? It has nothing to do with the fact that their players work extremely hard? Give me a break. I don't see anyone complaining about Oak Hill Academy poaching Houston talent like Keith Gallon. Recruit on an international basis? Yeah let me tell you they send the Brothers and Nuns to Bosnia and Croatia looking for the next Darko Milicic.

Strake Jesuit is one of the best places for a Student/Athlete. Let's see where there best three players are going: Rice University (17th best in the nation), University of Notre Dame (18th best in the nation), Penn State (47th best in the nation). Hmmm yeah let me see there going there just for the basketball. Strake has provided them with a great education and they are going to places where they can continue their education.

Also there is an entrance exam to get into Strake, so yeah they arent just pulling in people left and right to come to their school. Quit complaining about Strake, why not celebrate them and the fact that they still emphasize the STUDENT part in Student/Athlete.

education is the key to all great people

Guest bigun

This school recruits and should not be allowed to play UIL. If you took the top players from the area and made one team then you can match up. Half the team is on scholarships give me a break. This is not AAU....

This is the begaining of the end os high school basketball as we know it.

Wow. where to begin to correct the errors here? OK how about here: Strake filed a lawsuit to get into UIL. Your other "facts" have equal accuracy.

This school recruits and should not be allowed to play UIL. If you took the top players from the area and made one team then you can match up. Half the team is on scholarships give me a break. This is not AAU....

This is the begaining of the end os high school basketball as we know it.

Wrong - If you reasonably measured out the best basketball players in the city of Houston, Joey Brooks would be the only player on the SJ team that would be considered a stud by any means.

Yes, Tim Frazier is a good ball handler, and he's quick and gets to the rim, but I honestly wouldn't consider him one of the best 10 players in Houston. I would put him on third team all city of Houston because of his "skills" and "leadership."

You are entitled to your opinion, but you can't judge until you've spent a day in someone's shoes.

By the way, one of the best players in Texas and on that Jesuit team, Joey Brooks(mentioned earlier), was zoned to go to Strake Jesuit. He attended St. Anne's Catholic school, just like his sister. He wasn't signed through some recruiting effort.

Not just great athletes, but strong academic and most importantly, men for others. AMDG!

Wow. where to begin to correct the errors here? OK how about here: Strake filed a lawsuit to get into UIL. Your other "facts" have equal accuracy.

Read again, Strake did not file the lawsuit, Dallas Jesuit did.

Strake followed behind in support. UIL voted, the vote swaded in the direction of allowing private schools to play with public schools, only if they join the largest division of competition....

Guest aschrapps

So its okay that Port Arthur Memorial recruits players? They have tried on several occasions to recruit players that have went to kelly back. So dont give me this public schools cant recruit garbage.

Let me make it simple for you Strake cool-aid drinkers. Here's a list of localities in greater Houston:

Pearland.....heck include Galveston, too

ALL of Houston city limits, Clear Lake to Kingwood, Nearly Katy to Channelview

Humble

Woodlands

and all places in between

Kid lives with both parents at ANY single home in ANY one of these areas.

My 2 questions for you kool-aid drinkers:

1) Can he attend Strake and play varsity sport?

2) Name the public schools who can do that?

Case dismissed.

Also, while the class 5A usually has students enrolling around 2200's, Houston Strake Jesuit only has 892 enrolled students. So as a 3A sized school, they happen to have found fantastic players that are overall better than any other school in texas with schools doubled their size.

Guest DickVitale

Also, while the class 5A usually has students enrolling around 2200's, Houston Strake Jesuit only has 892 enrolled students. So as a 3A sized school, they happen to have found fantastic players that are overall better than any other school in texas with schools doubled their size.

::) ::)....If you believe that I've got some lakeside property in North Dakota that I want to sell you! This Strake team was PUT TOGETHER...They sponsored AAU events FOR FREE, FOR YEARS....And this year it kinda paid off...No state championship though! ;)

I'd say all 3 Beaumont schools recruit whats the difference?

::) FALSE.

Pull the best 8 playes from the GT area and play SJ that would make ot even. School teams are by district and who lives in that area. What SJ is going is wrong and who ever let them in the UIL probbbly has a kid that goes there. We all know how that works. It's a same to put the kids through this. Most of SJ players are good and would play on a high school team so let them play on their local public school team.

What's funny are the parents setting in the stands knowing they are laughing at all of us because we are teaching our kids the right and knoble way of doing things.

They must have worked at ENRON!!!!!!

Guest aschrapps

Strake Jesuit isnt teaching kids the right way to do things? They sent four starters to harvard penn state rice and notre dame. yeahhh okay

guess what PORT ARTHUR MEMORIAL RECRUITS COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS.

Guest DickVitale

Strake Jesuit isnt teaching kids the right way to do things? They sent four starters to harvard penn state rice and notre dame. yeahhh okay

And they still did not win state....

Guest aschrapps

And they still did not win state....

Hey Dick Vitale last time I checked there was more to life than winning state championships only one team in 5a won one so does that mean everyone else is a failure too? Also I dont see any of Strakes players being charged with possesion of marijuana ? So give me strakes coach and sending his kids to be STUDENT/athletes at great academic institutions any day of the week. I'll take brooks and frazier over jefferson and frank all day every day

Guest aschrapps

Pull the best 8 playes from the GT area and play SJ that would make ot even. School teams are by district and who lives in that area. What SJ is going is wrong and who ever let them in the UIL probbbly has a kid that goes there. We all know how that works. It's a same to put the kids through this. Most of SJ players are good and would play on a high school team so let them play on their local public school team.

What's funny are the parents setting in the stands knowing they are laughing at all of us because we are teaching our kids the right and knoble way of doing things.

I think they at least teach spelling and grammar to the basketball team at Strake.

Guest DickVitale

My point was about all the recruiting that goes on over there and how they slid into the UIL while doing so.  I am happy for the kids that were given those college opportunities, but even will ALL OF THAT D-1 TALENT that was BROUGHT IN to win a title in the UIL, their mission was NOT accomplished. Thats all.

I think they at least teach spelling and grammar to the basketball team at Strake.

LMAO

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder