Coach Roc

Coach Roc is fine......he has been here three years.  Yes they had a down year but they also won the Conference last year.  Do not be so quick to judge someone.  If after season 5 the LU team is still struggling then we can question him!!!!

Well all I can say is that Roc didn't shoot 14-49 from the field and 1-12 from behind the arc. You can point the finger at the coaches but the bottom line is the team wasn't that good. All year, Lamar shoots great, they win, Roc is the greatest coach in the NCAA, they shoot horrible, get crushed, Roc needs to get fired. Come on now, he just finished his 3rd year. If he had like 5 straight losing seasons, I could see your point. A couple of players should of have called it a season because of injury, some players should of stayed on the bench because they were horrible. Anthony Miles and Charlie Harper got great experience this season and thats only going to help the team the next 3 years. Other than that, just gotta look forward to next season.

Well all I can say is that Roc didn't shoot 14-49 from the field and 1-12 from behind the arc. You can point the finger at the coaches but the bottom line is the team wasn't that good. All year, Lamar shoots great, they win, Roc is the greatest coach in the NCAA, they shoot horrible, get crushed, Roc needs to get fired. Come on now, he just finished his 3rd year. If he had like 5 straight losing seasons, I could see your point. A couple of players should of have called it a season because of injury, some players should of stayed on the bench because they were horrible. Anthony Miles and Charlie Harper got great experience this season and thats only going to help the team the next 3 years. Other than that, just gotta look forward to next season.

The team wasn't that good? Whose fault is that? I thought this guy gets to recruit his men? By now, his players should be at the school for 3 years. I really don't see it. They just sucked last night. And sucked bad. I wouldn't have left the guys in, they were getting beat anyway, try something new.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job, but there needs to be some questions. After three years there should be some real improvment. This year, we stepped back, in a big way.

In the end, we didn't make the "Big Dance" ( The NCAA)... we didn't even make the SLC Tournament, and if we didn't make the SLC Tournament, questions need to be asked.

Coach Roc is fine......he has been here three years.  Yes they had a down year but they also won the Conference last year.  Do not be so quick to judge someone.  If after season 5 the LU team is still struggling then we can question him!!!!

Roc's saving grace is that he'll be back in the SLC East after one more year. If he can do better the next go around, he's bound to win a conference championship by virtue of being in the weaker of the two divisions upon is year.

SHSU will be well stocked next year and it seems the Isles are going to get better. Roc has one more year of seeing Bob Marlin, Perry Clark and Scott Cross twice a year.  I'm sure he enjoys avoiding two games against Danny Kaspar's squad yearly.

Looking forward to the next few weeks of all the "recruiting chatter" on this board. What top ranked recruits are coming in for next year?

Guest coachacola

Well, if you have blame Roc for the team being bad this year, then you have to give him credit for last year's success.  He decided to go the JUCO route the first two years, taking a big gamble on James Davis, but otherwise bringing in players who could win right away.  The 19 win, SLC co-championship was the result of that, but it also cost them a scholarship and the lack of depth this year.  Throw in the rash of injuries before and during the season, plus signing mostly freshmen instead of JUCO players, and you end up with a season like this.

Even though this was Roc's third year, only McThay, Custer, Mahoney were signed as freshmen (and McThay left for a year).  Next year only Hall, Custer, and Mahoney will be his third year players (and Nwevo will be the only 4 year player).  He has 5  freshmen and 2 JUCOs for next year, so we'll see how good these players are.  I bet the year after next, when most of the HS players have been here at least 2 or 3 years, will we know if Roc stays or goes.

Guest coachacola

I bet the year after next, when most of the HS players have been here at least 2 or 3 years, will we know if Roc stays or goes.

SLC East Division Champs!  ;D

Since it took SHSU a double-overtime win to split the series with LU you should be happy they'll be back in the East.  Coach Marlin is a fine coach, but he's still at SHSU because he can't take the team to the next level.  I don't think Roc's job would be safe at LU if he equaled the success Marlin has had.  Being consistently good and competitive is good, but going to the NCAAs is what it's all about.

I bet the year after next, when most of the HS players have been here at least 2 or 3 years, will we know if Roc stays or goes.

Since it took SHSU a double-overtime win to split the series with LU you should be happy they'll be back in the East.  Coach Marlin is a fine coach, but he's still at SHSU because he can't take the team to the next level.  I don't think Roc's job would be safe at LU if he equaled the success Marlin has had.  Being consistently good and competitive is good, but going to the NCAAs is what it's all about.

If Roc could equal Bob Marlin's success, then we would be on a different level here. Roc could recruit better athletes, even if he had only 1 NCAA trip to his resume.

If Roc could equal Bob Marlin's success, then we would be on a different level here. Roc could recruit better athletes, even if he had only 1 NCAA trip to his resume.

You would think after LU made it to the "Big Dance" in the late 90"s or was it early 2000's (?), the recruiting process would have been a little easier to recruit better players.

Easy MFFL...........you know that I am a Deane fan and he is a personal friend of mine. 

Based on performance the only difference between Tubbs, Roc and Deane is the fact that Deane's players graduated, went to class, were not arrested for drug's, did not run from police, not arrested for gun possession, etc.  Should I go on.  Yes it is more fun to watch LU now................oh wait they scored 36 points in their last game!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

bottom line is we dont have the players to win like we want to win.my expectations for lamar are to be a top 2 slc school every year,win the tourney atleast every 3 years,win 20 games every year and make the nit every other year.those arent unreasonable expectations imo.we have the best facility and fan support in the conference=we should have the best athletes.and before terror chimes in im not knocking other slc schools but lamar puts a lot into hoops and we need to see the fruits.can roc get us to this level?i say yes but this incoming recruiting class is his most important.from what im hearing if we sign all the kids we have verbals on the bar will be raised at lamar.now does this automatically mean we will win,no.we have to go out and show it on the court but having better athletes will improve our chances.i think the x's and o's are there.ive watched every home game this year and cant say we were ever out coached.we just didnt have the players.part of roc's job is to get the players here.hell that is his strength and thats were im most disapointed.im for giving him 2 more years and see if were making progress.i do think we will be better next year.we really are only losing 2 players that contributed(dawkins/brown) and they were both undersized.good luck to roc this spring and i hope for his sake it equals a better fall.

Guest DickVitale

Tony Branch's 1st and last team was not THIS bad...and they FIRED him..... ::) ::)

The Lamar WOMEN'S program was a MESS when Tidwell arrived just two years ago...They got BETTER..... ::) ::)

I am pulling for him to right the ship.....I really wish they would have given Coach Branch the same EQUAL opportunity, though..... ::) ::)

Tony Branch's 1st and last team was not THIS bad...and they FIRED him..... ::) ::)

The Lamar WOMEN'S program was a MESS when Tidwell arrived just two years ago...They got BETTER..... ::) ::)

I am pulling for him to right the ship.....I really wish they would have given Coach Branch the same EQUAL opportunity, though..... ::) ::)

i agree.tidwell has it going like i thought roc would.the ladies are gonna be real good for years to come.if the current regime at lamar would have been here when branch was he wouldve gotten more time.unless there are other circumstances there no way to judge a coach after 1 year.

Guest coachacola

I remember the Tony Branch years.  They probably should have given him more than two years, but he was a real young coach (early 30's I think) and he went from 12-16 his first year to 7-21 his second. After following Tubbs, Foster, and Abetamarco (who won 20 games the year before Branch took over), no coach would have been safe by winning only 7 games.  Bad timing also played a role, because Lamar started having financial problems, enrollment started dropping, the economy in SETX sucked back then, and the decision to form that new conference turned out to be a mistake.

Guest coachacola

OK. I 'll go with that one.... ;)

I know you don't like facts to get in the way of your thinking, but since the Jack Martin era, only two coaches have failed to win at least 10 games in a season, Tony Branch and Mike Deane.  Branch lasted 2 years, Deane lasted a whopping 3 years.  Spin that anyway you want.

I remember the Tony Branch years.  They probably should have given him more than two years, but he was a real young coach (early 30's I think) and he went from 12-16 his first year to 7-21 his second. After following Tubbs, Foster, and Abetamarco (who won 20 games the year before Branch took over), no coach would have been safe by winning only 7 games.  Bad timing also played a role, because Lamar started having financial problems, enrollment started dropping, the economy in SETX sucked back then, and the decision to form that new conference turned out to be a mistake.

Oh but I disagree with this, "and the decision to form that new conference turned out to be a mistake." The American South was a regular top 10 conference in BB and one year was ranked 6th best BB conference. Compared to the SLC average rankin of 23rd. The fault was in LU, not the conference as that LU and UTPA was the only schools that went down. Blame poor leadership at Lamar.

Guest coachacola

Which part of "I'll go with that one" did you miss? ??? 8)

I figured you were being sarcastic because of the  ;) at the end.  If not then I apologize.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83