Wagner sisters coming up big for Lady 'Cats

Wagner sisters coming up big for Lady 'Cats

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — One is an experience senior and the other is a talented, starting freshman.

Together the Wagner sisters in Orangefield have joined the rest of the Lady Bobcats a very special season.

Olivia Wagner had already established herself as a star in Orangefield while Ashton has proven to be ready for the same spotlight.

The sisters were first teammates during volleyball season and now are in Class 3A Region III Area Round playoffs.

“It is pretty awesome to be in the playoffs as a freshman with your sister,†Ashton said on Thursday. “We have to go hard or we are going home.â€

Olivia quickly said the Lady Bobcats are not going home this weekend.

“It is first regional tournament or bust,†Olivia said. “I want us to go as far as Orangefield as ever gone. The seniors have been telling the younger players it is time to step up. It is now do or die. The officials are not going to call as many fouls so the games are going to be a little rough. Every team is going to want it as much as we do.â€

Playing on the same team as her sister was also something Olivia wanted to do a lot at the beginning of the school year.

“I really didn’t know what to expect,†Olivia said. “At first I was not sure she would get the chance to be on varsity. I am happy for her and glad she got the opportunity. Now she has stepped up and I am proud of her. She sure doesn’t play like a freshman.â€

Some sisters would have a problem being on the same team as their sister, especially with one being a senior and the other being a freshman.

“I just look at her as another player when we are on the court,†Ashton said. “She is always there to encourage me and she is a big leader on our team on the court. I have never received special treatment.â€

Ashton added Olivia also usually takes it easy on her after a mistake.

“Well it depends on her mood,†Ashton joked.

“I know I can yell at her because I know she can handle it,†Olivia said. “We rely on her heavily. We are starting to count on her to do a little of everything. Once you are on varsity, you are expected to not play like a freshman. On the court I don’t think of Ashton as a freshman and I don’t even think of her as a sister. Now when someone hits her hard, I do get a little mad. I just know I can’t be soft on her.â€

Ashton also knows the Lady Bobcats rely heavily on Olivia in the critical points of games.“We rely on her a lot,†Ashton said. “She is always there to bring us up and she is always there. We look to her to be one of our leaders and one of our captains. She is a great teammate and we wouldn’t be in the position we are in now without her.â€

The sisters position can be even better after tonight when the Lady Bobcats take on Navasota.

And like both sisters agreed on, the Lady Bobcats are not ready to call it a season just yet.

Guest bleed orange

Another great article. You must have some help. You can't do two in one night. ;D Too tired as I recall. Maybe you drank some coffee and got your second wind. I think there is someone hiding in your shadow. ;D Someone that needs a raise.$$$$$$$

Great article!  I love these two ladies, I think of them as sisters.  They have made me proud no matter the outcome of tomorrow. 

Liv, you did great this year and I am sad to see you go.

Ash, you have HUGE shoes to fill, but I know you can do it.

Good luck tomorrow.

Another great article. You must have some help. You can't do two in one night. ;D Too tired as I recall. Maybe you drank some coffee and got your second wind. I think there is someone hiding in your shadow. ;D Someone that needs a raise.$$$$$$$

Look at the bags under my eyes these days, only me. I do though now have a single cup coffee maker on my desk. God it helps. I'm too tired to even get up these days.

Look at the bags under my eyes these days, only me. I do though now have a single cup coffee maker on my desk. God it helps. I'm too tired to even get up these days.

WHAH WHAH WHAH!!!!! Cry me a river. ;D

You know, one of those stories could of been about the all important Orangefield-WOS game. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476