HJ at OF Updates/HJ Wins By 5!!

Lazeek

Here is a real outside opinion because I barely know anything about the boys side of action....

I would take all three HJ players in question on my team and Hayes and several others from OF.

They are all great players and the few times I have been able to see them, they all do things to make their teams better. It is not always points which matter the most.

Always looking to spread some sugar and cheer, aren't we Gabe? ;) ;D

(hey, it is okay to be critical every now and then) ;D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is saying they are slouches. I think it's just good debate as to what some folks think of these players and they all have made good points.

IMO, Burrell is the lesser of the Big 3, but that doesn't make him a bad player. To me, Benard is the only one of the three that is capable of carrying the team, I just don't think Burrell or Turner has the offensive skills to be able to do that.

I do believe that it takes major contributions from all 3 for HJ to be successful.

yes the record speaks different from my recent comments 30 wins in a season is a major accomplishent, but  the talent level from top to bottom is no where what it has been in the past.. there schudeule seems realy soft to me and there not beating teams by as much as they should, and to many off nights from them lately.. they play wild andout of controll a lot

Guest stevenash

Opinions, Opinions, Opinions (particularly of the outsider variety)  Reminiscent of those  who said last year around playoff time, that Ray Allen was washed up and that the Celtics could not win playoff games on the road, the Eastern Conference was too weak, and therefore, there was no way that they could win the big prize.  This season, the detractors took particular delight in talking about how it was "over" when they lost 7 of 9 games.  Well, they won the title last year and they are one game away from having the best record in the league for this season.  Hopefully for the Hawks, the detractors will continue to belittle the big three or one or two components of it because it provides excellent bulletin board material.  Seems like last year, nobody gave Silsbee much of a chance after a double digit loss to the Hawks in the playoff at the Montagne Center.  HMMMMMMMMM?

Burrell is athletic, but not a good shooter and does not play great defense.

That portion of this statement officially erase all doubt as to the validity of the posts

It is hard to compare Jarvis and Hayes due to the age difference.  Hayes is just turning 17, Jarvis is 19.  @ 2 years makes a huge difference.

Okay, two years ago when Jarvis was 17 he was the second leading scorer on the class 3A state champions for the State of Texas

Quote from: dccurtis on February 06, 2009, 08:07:06 PM

to be honest this is one of the worst hardin jefferson teams i have ever seen. if i wasnt for jarvis or jacoby they would struggle to win 10 games this year.

yes the record speaks different from my recent comments 30 wins in a season is a major accomplishent, but  the talent level from top to bottom is no where what it has been in the past.. there schudeule seems realy soft to me and there not beating teams by as much as they should, and to many off nights from them lately.. they play wild andout of controll a lot

Sounds like you need to quit wasting your time and money and stop coming to the games.  However, if the Hawks make a deep playoff run then I'm sure you'll be there celebrating and saying "yeah, I told you" ::)

Turner can't take over a game like Bernard

Turner was HJ's leading 3 point shooter in percentage until about 4 games ago and I would say that there are many more ways than scoring to "take over" a game

My point was that JB is the go to guy, Burell was a much better player last year.  Turner can't take over a game like Bernard and Burrell just is not the same player that he was, especially if you get in his head early.  Bernard struggled early but came up big in the the latter part of the game.  Burrell sat alot and Turner really did not do alot other than play d.  If it were JB sitting like Burrell had to this game is not close and that is why JB is a good player.  Burrell is athletic, but not a good shooter and does not play great defense. JB is going to be the player that you all will miss the most. But, back to my original post, he should dominate based upon his age over the majority of kids in the district, 2 years is a big difference in basketball.

Maybe you should ask Kountze and Newton about this......as Turner hit them for 32 and 31 respectively!!!!

Opinions, Opinions, Opinions (particularly of the outsider variety)  Reminiscent of those  who said last year around playoff time, that Ray Allen was washed up and that the Celtics could not win playoff games on the road, the Eastern Conference was too weak, and therefore, there was no way that they could win the big prize.  This season, the detractors took particular delight in talking about how it was "over" when they lost 7 of 9 games.  Well, they won the title last year and they are one game away from having the best record in the league for this season.   Hopefully for the Hawks, the detractors will continue to belittle the big three or one or two components of it because it provides excellent bulletin board material.  Seems like last year, nobody gave Silsbee much of a chance after a double digit loss to the Hawks in the playoff at the Montagne Center.  HMMMMMMMMM?

still talking about last year???HMMM??

I am pretty sure that many OF fans only see "the big 3" when OF plays them (except beeninikes) so their opions are going to be based on that.  That is why it is an outsiders viewpoint.  There is nothing wrong with that.  That is what a forum is for.  Now back to the game.  Congratulations on the hawks grinding out a victory.  Benard stepped up on the offensive end and Turner on the defensive end in the second half.  Angelle's shooting was a little off but his defense was invaluable.  From a fan's perspective, I felt like the Bobcats executed the coach's gameplan as well as they have all year.  Especially against a good team.  You HJ who just say HJ had an off night.  I know it would be inconceivable to you to think the Bobcats had anything to do with that.  Oh and by the way, about the comment on Hayes being classless.  HJ players talk trash as well.  To both our student section (which I was sitting right beside) and the players.  Yours aren't little angels and remember these are 16-18 year old kids.  Now on to my soap box and I do not think anyway cost us the game.  I just don't get it.  I saw one of the officials warn our coach at the beginning of the game to stay in his box, yet when I watched the game, I saw the HJ coach roaming from halfcourt to the baseline.  Seems like a double standard.  I also saw the taller official warn our assistant coach to stay seated, yet I looked and saw all three HJ coaches up yelling at the officials.  Once again.  And lastly, once again I do not think this cost us the game, how in the world is the foul count for the game 17-10 (OF with 17).  Granted the last couple OF fouled deliberately, but to only call 2 fouls on HJ the second half.  Come on.  Once again.  Congratulations to the hawks.  You did what you needed to do to win the game.  That is what good teams do.

Also,  I heard the coaches talking about officials not showing up.  What is up with the officials chapter around here?  I have read a lot about this subject on the board lately.

Guest nostradamus
youre right i didnt read any of it... but what i am wondering is why everyone is gettin all huffy about a win?

because the "pundits" out there think that "certain teams" should win every game by 20+ and if they don't then they played horrible and have no chance to win in the playoffs.....it could never be because of match-ups or the other team playing well and having a good game plan in their gym.......just amazing some of the things people say after a good win

I do not hear you complaining about the refs in the first half when HJ had 8 fouls (Benard 2, Burrell 3 and Turner 3) and OF only had 2!!!!

The refs were a bit inconsistent, but the fact that OF hit shots in the first half and did not in the 2nd half was the difference.  OF played great D in the first half and then HJ made adjustments in the 2nd half and began to make some shots.  HJ had to play passive D in the 2nd because of the foul trouble to the "big 3".  Also Ricossa played his rear off last night and he is becoming a force to be reckoned with of late!!!!

Congrats to OF on a great game and as I stated in a earlier post I spoke with Hayes after the game and he is a gentleman and apologized for getting excited in the heat of the game.  I told him it is part of the game and that it is expected and no reason to apologize about it.  The Hayes we saw last night is the Hayes that people have seen for a few years now.

Guest nostradamus

I know one of Breithaupt's teams did back in the 80's.  I think the final was 20 something to 20 something.  Stall game got the best of the Hawks as he tells it.

I am pretty sure that many OF fans only see "the big 3" when OF plays them (except beeninikes) so their opions are going to be based on that.  That is why it is an outsiders viewpoint.  There is nothing wrong with that.  That is what a forum is for.  Now back to the game.  Congratulations on the hawks grinding out a victory.  Benard stepped up on the offensive end and Turner on the defensive end in the second half.  Angelle's shooting was a little off but his defense was invaluable.  From a fan's perspective, I felt like the Bobcats executed the coach's gameplan as well as they have all year.  Especially against a good team.  You HJ who just say HJ had an off night.  I know it would be inconceivable to you to think the Bobcats had anything to do with that.  Oh and by the way, about the comment on Hayes being classless.  HJ players talk trash as well.  To both our student section (which I was sitting right beside) and the players.  Yours aren't little angels and remember these are 16-18 year old kids.  Now on to my soap box and I do not think anyway cost us the game.  I just don't get it.  I saw one of the officials warn our coach at the beginning of the game to stay in his box, yet when I watched the game, I saw the HJ coach roaming from halfcourt to the baseline.  Seems like a double standard.  I also saw the taller official warn our assistant coach to stay seated, yet I looked and saw all three HJ coaches up yelling at the officials.  Once again.  And lastly, once again I do not think this cost us the game, how in the world is the foul count for the game 17-10 (OF with 17).  Granted the last couple OF fouled deliberately, but to only call 2 fouls on HJ the second half.  Come on.  Once again.  Congratulations to the hawks.  You did what you needed to do to win the game.  That is what good teams do.

Also,  I heard the coaches talking about officials not showing up.  What is up with the officials chapter around here?  I have read a lot about this subject on the board lately.

I still see them as the big 3, but my point earlier was that there is a big difference between #1 and #3.  I see i am not alone in that opinion because Aggiesarewe, a respected poster on the board, along with with a few others agreed with me.  I made the comment about Ricossa in the top 3 because most of the HJ games i've watched, i thought Ricossa was the more productive HJ player.   Last night Burrell got in foul trouble and had to miss some significant time in the game.  I think if that had been Benard instead Burrell having to miss that much time, HJ very well couldve and wouldve lost last night.  HJ can survive without Burrell not on the court for long stretches of time but not Benard.   As for the comment about the coaches by bballgod, what happened last night doesnt surprise me.  The fact is Sutherland is one of the best coaches in the area and has that reputation.  Because of that he is able to get away with stuff that most coaches cant, fairly or unfairly.  I've witnessed this several times.  I know HJ fans will dispute this but it is true.

Guest nostradamus
Because of that he is able to get away with stuff that most coaches cant, fairly or unfairly.  I've witnessed this several times.  I know HJ fans will dispute this but it is true.

Funny thing, not a fan here but, one who was on the sidelines.  I stood up ONE time in dispute of a call.  The rest of the time it was to coach our kids.  Mike Milligan, very nicely, asked us (assts.) to stay seated.  The other official told our other coach one time that he "will not talk to the assistants but, will talk to Coach Sutherland" so to say that the HJ bench got away with more than another bench is absolutely not true.  I can guarantee that both head coaches roamed rather freely last night.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami