Beaumont Enterprise

Guest nostradamus

well....really it's understandable....i mean two teams that have played 8 times now over the last two years with a perfect split of 4-4 and have played the last two years to go to Austin...and who are both undefeated in district....and who have to turn away hundreds of people trying to come to the games ........why would anyone want to cover that type of game

Nothing suprises me about the coverage or "lack of" from the Beaumont "Suprise". You have two state ranked teams, both of which are the last 2 years Regional champ, one being a state champion, and you choose Ned/PNG???? These teams can't hold Silsbee's and HJ's jock strap when it comes to basketball. I can understand the Livingston/Ozen coverage, but you have to cover THE BEST GAME in Southeast Texas!!!!

Now don't get me wrong, they should've covered the HJ Silsbee game but there are more subscribers in Ned PNG and that helps them sell papers. Its a business that a lot of people think is slowly dying so anything to sell more papers. And I dunno about Silsbee but Nederland did beat HJ by 16 already this year so how could we not hold HJ's jock? Shouldn't they be holding ours then?

Guest nostradamus

when AAW used the term "holding their jock strap" I think he was referring to the game as a whole.....not an individual team.  Believe me, he knows that Nederland beat HJ. 

Now don't get me wrong, they should've covered the HJ Silsbee game but there are more subscribers in Ned PNG and that helps them sell papers. Its a business that a lot of people think is slowly dying so anything to sell more papers. And I dunno about Silsbee but Nederland did beat HJ by 16 already this year so how could we not hold HJ's jock? Shouldn't they be holding ours then?

There may be more subscribers in ned png area, but more subscribers all over Southeast Texas would have loved to read about Silsbee HJ game on the front page where the most important news is suppose to go. ned png can go in the third or fourth page.

when AAW used the term "holding their jock strap" I think he was referring to the game as a whole.....not an individual team.  Believe me, he knows that Nederland beat HJ. 

Thanks Nos. Yes I do know that Ned beat HJ. The use of the term was not only meant for the bigness of the game but also it was intended to mean that Ned and PNG basketball history cannot compare to Silsbee and HJ. I can't remember when Ned and PNG went to the playoffs but we all know about Silsbee and HJ's prowess in the playoffs. I felt the Silsbee/HJ game was way bigger in all aspects compared to Ned/PNG. Therefore, it should have been covered.

I know it's not the same as having the game covered in the local daily paper, but we run a weekly story on the Silsbee Tigers in The Bee. We don't miss a game ... boys or girls. I don't know if we were able to get in the door to take pictures or not, but we'll have a story for sure. The Enterprise has cut staff to the point of almost killing any possibility of community coverage outside of Beaumont. Why do they cover games in Nederland or Port Neches? Because that's where the money is. When I was a sportswriter for The Enterprise, they used to have a writer who did nothing but cover MidCounty sports. The advertising base is stronger in MidCounty than in another other "suburb" of Beaumont. Why would they cover games for Silsbee or Sour Lake when all those towns offer as far as advertising is small mom and pop stores? WalMart doesn't advertise beyond sales inserts ... It's a monetary thing ... and it's sad.

I know it's not the same as having the game covered in the local daily paper, but we run a weekly story on the Silsbee Tigers in The Bee. We don't miss a game ... boys or girls. I don't know if we were able to get in the door to take pictures or not, but we'll have a story for sure. The Enterprise has cut staff to the point of almost killing any possibility of community coverage outside of Beaumont. Why do they cover games in Nederland or Port Neches? Because that's where the money is. When I was a sportswriter for The Enterprise, they used to have a writer who did nothing but cover MidCounty sports. The advertising base is stronger in MidCounty than in another other "suburb" of Beaumont. Why would they cover games for Silsbee or Sour Lake when all those towns offer as far as advertising is small mom and pop stores? WalMart doesn't advertise beyond sales inserts ... It's a monetary thing ... and it's sad.

Gerry, first let me say I do appreciate what the Silsbee Bee does for Silsbee athletics. You guys cover the Tigers very well and I am grateful for what you and Danny do there at our hometown paper.

I do understand the monetary aspect of it all. I have to deal with it here at this site when doing our broadcasts. But I felt that this game was big enough to be above that, and I think should have been covered.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124