PN-G school district should release names of coach applicants

Beaumont Enterprise

By ENTERPRISE OPINIONS

January, 16, 2009

The Port Neches-Groves school board is causing a needless problem and expense for its taxpayers. It is refusing to release the names of those who have applied for athletics director/football coach in violation of and ignorance of state law and previous attorney general's rulings.

This is silly. This exact issue has been dragged through the AG's office and the courts many times. It is settled law. Only two exceptions exist to the requirement that the names of all applicants for public jobs be released - university presidents and school district superintendents.

Any attorney should be able to tell the PN-G board that privacy statutes don't apply. Trustees are flouting the law by requesting an AG's opinion. They quite probably are hoping that by the time the AG rules against them, the hire will be made and they will have safely circumvented the law and gotten their way.

Taxpayers deserve to know who the applicants are before the new person is hired, not after. They may be forgiven for wondering what else trustees are hiding.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% correct!!

Beaumont Enterprise

By ENTERPRISE OPINIONS

January, 16, 2009

The Port Neches-Groves school board is causing a needless problem and expense for its taxpayers. It is refusing to release the names of those who have applied for athletics director/football coach in violation of and ignorance of state law and previous attorney general's rulings.

This is silly. This exact issue has been dragged through the AG's office and the courts many times. It is settled law. Only two exceptions exist to the requirement that the names of all applicants for public jobs be released - university presidents and school district superintendents.

Any attorney should be able to tell the PN-G board that privacy statutes don't apply. Trustees are flouting the law by requesting an AG's opinion. They quite probably are hoping that by the time the AG rules against them, the hire will be made and they will have safely circumvented the law and gotten their way.

Taxpayers deserve to know who the applicants are before the new person is hired, not after. They may be forgiven for wondering what else trustees are hiding.

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

Beaumont Enterprise

By ENTERPRISE OPINIONS

January, 16, 2009

Great article!

I find it funny that the author of this is called "Enterprise Opinions".  ::)

Of course they want the list, of course they print their opinion on it. It's another story to tell. Sheeesh!

I still don't know how it benefits any "taxpayer" by releasing the list.

I totally agree!  The article is a piece of junk!  What amazes me is that it seems that EVERYONE except PNG fans want the list released.  I wonder why...could it be fear of what a new coach will do with the HONOR, PRIDE, and TRADITION at PNG?  Or is it that they just want something else to quabble about on the board.....it just amazes me.  I APPLAUD PNG for keeping the list concealed....its driving the "crazies" even "crazier!"

HONOR....PRIDE.....TRADITION.............."PRICELESS!"

Mike to answer the first part, there is not a single author because it is meant to be the opinion of The Enterprise. We do the same thing. Yes one person may write the piece yet usually its after talking to several different people and it is written as the opinion of the paper and not one person.

It is an editorial opinion over being a news story or someone's column ie. Bob West's column or Norman Chad.

Guest Brubaker

I couldn't care less, and I don't think it matters.  I applaud PNG for keeping the whole Pride Honor Tradition thing going in the face of this season and what's coming.

Guest ECBucFan

I don't "have a dog in this hunt", so, it really doesn't matter to me if the names are released or not. I am basically neutral on PN-G and their affairs. But I will say this: The whole thing has morphed into some sort of a sad joke. Flipping channels around midnight, I ran across a rebroadcast of 4's news. James Ware held up to the camera a list released from PN-G WITH THE NAMES BLACKED OUT.

Now its just getting silly. This ain't helping PN-G's image, IMHO.  

I couldn't care less, and I don't think it matters.  I applaud PNG for keeping the whole Pride Honor Tradition thing going in the face of this season and what's coming.

Thanks, Brubaker....I wish everyone felt the same way.  Even WHEN the new coach's name is released, the very same people on here "bellyaching" about wanting the names to be released, will be on here slammin this guy before he even gets the chance to prove what he can do.  The "madness" never ends......

PNG>>>>>>>>>Honor......Pride......Tradition.....

You're exactly right...its getting sillier by the moment.  Just let it rest....the school board made the decision....we have to live with it.  Nothing we can do about it.

PNG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Honor............Pride...............Tradition.....

I find it funny that the author of this is called "Enterprise Opinions".  ::)

Of course they want the list, of course they print their opinion on it. It's another story to tell. Sheeesh!

I still don't know how it benefits any "taxpayer" by releasing the list.

Great post. We all would LIKE[b]to know, but it doesn't benefit the taxpayers(which I am) at all. I have a feeling that there is one maybe two current HEAD COACHES elsewhere that applied and wish this to be kept quiet until further in the process. The current school board IS NOT trying to do any brother in law stuff. Trust me, they just got out of that situation and are wanting to hire the best coach we can.

Too many of you PNG people are protecting what PNG's Board should have already done, which is release the names. It just looks underhanded when things are left in the dark. Look, once again, I am not thrilled about it either, but when you can file a petition and find out how many sick days I have used, (and they were mine to use.) PNG needs to step up and name the applicants.

I am not a lawyer, but can the AG fine PNGISD for not releasing the names? Can the AG's Office start an investigation? Can charges be filed?

Too many of you PNG people are protecting what PNG's Board should have already done, which is release the names. It just looks underhanded when things are left in the dark. Look, once again, I am not thrilled about it either, but when you can file a petition and find out how many sick days I have used, (and they were mine to use.) PNG needs to step up and name the applicants.

I am not a lawyer, but can the AG fine PNGISD for not releasing the names? Can the AG's Office start an investigation? Can charges be filed?

What purpose would this serve?  Please answer me.  It makes no sense.....is it so posters can get on here and trash candidates and PNG as well?  It doesn't serve ANY PURPOSE to release the names.  And again, the folks from other schools are more "up in arms" about this list than PNG folks.  Are you afraid one of YOUR coaches may have applied?  Do you have a dog in the fight?  What gives......PNG fans are laughing at you guys for getting so upset about this.  We're the ONLY ones that should want the list revealed and we're not balking the decision of the board.  Go figure, getting the Attorney General involved, bringing up the FOI clause.  You guys have waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hand to be worrying about this. This is ridiculous....I hope PNG NEVER releases the list, but only announce the coach they hired.......that way, the guy will have a fighting chance........this is ridiculous.

I don't "have a dog in this hunt", so, it really doesn't matter to me if the names are released or not. I am basically neutral on PN-G and their affairs. But I will say this: The whole thing has morphed into some sort of a sad joke. Flipping channels around midnight, I ran across a rebroadcast of 4's news. James Ware held up to the camera a list released from PN-G WITH THE NAMES BLACKED OUT.

And Ware is a PNG guy. He needs to support PNG >:(

What purpose would this serve?  Please answer me.  It makes no sense.....is it so posters can get on here and trash candidates and PNG as well?  It doesn't serve ANY PURPOSE to release the names.  And again, the folks from other schools are more "up in arms" about this list than PNG folks.  Are you afraid one of YOUR coaches may have applied?  Do you have a dog in the fight?  What gives......PNG fans are laughing at you guys for getting so upset about this.  We're the ONLY ones that should want the list revealed and we're not balking the decision of the board.  Go figure, getting the Attorney General involved, bringing up the FOI clause.  You guys have waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hand to be worrying about this. This is ridiculous....I hope PNG NEVER releases the list, but only announce the coach they hired.......that way, the guy will have a fighting chance........this is ridiculous.

Why should they release it?    Because it's the Law....To us guys without a dog in the hunt it is typical PNG. We are PNG, we'll do whatever, law or no law....In truth, I do not care. You PNG people are protesting too much. It gives an implication of you being up to something???? :-\

And Ware is a PNG guy. He needs to support PNG >:(

Now that is funny.....How could he keep his credit as a reporter if he did? Seems like Channel 4 is picked up in Vidor, LCM, Ozen, Central, Lumberton homes, not just PNG...Sheeez.... ;D

If you applied for a job, would you want it put in the paper everybody else that applied for that job, along with your name?  What if you got hired, and people thought you weren't as qualified for the job or you wouldn't do as well of a job as another guy on the list?  How would you feel about that?

Been told for years there are "better people than me out there" from my constituents. Welcome to the world of public service.

Why should they release it?    Because it's the Law....To us guys without a dog in the hunt it is typical PNG. We are PNG, we'll do whatever, law or no law....In truth, I do not care. You PNG people are protesting too much. It gives an implication of you being up to something???? :-\

PNG is not up to anything.  If the board is asked to release the names by "the Law", I'm sure they will.  And, I'm sure the board are thinking of the applicants and their present positions at their respective schools and not wanting to create any hardship for them.  "Typical" PNG, sounds like a little jealousy there...hmm.....go figure.  Again, you tend to categorize ALL of PNG, fans, players, board, etc. in your comments. No one has control over this situation but the board....I still find it ironic, however, that the folks getting most upset about the list of names are not from PNG!  I think there's a "fear" factor involved somewhere......maybe that PNG will rebound and be back at the top of the district.  Who knows.  I just think we need to wait, we ALL will find out soon enough. But, I think its only fitting that we give the applicants their privacy at this time.

PNG>>>>>>>Honor......Pride.....Tradition......."Priceless"

PNG is not up to anything.  If the board is asked to release the names by "the Law", I'm sure they will.  And, I'm sure the board are thinking of the applicants and their present positions at their respective schools and not wanting to create any hardship for them.  "Typical" PNG, sounds like a little jealousy there...hmm.....go figure.  Again, you tend to categorize ALL of PNG, fans, players, board, etc. in your comments. No one has control over this situation but the board....I still find it ironic, however, that the folks getting most upset about the list of names are not from PNG!  I think there's a "fear" factor involved somewhere......maybe that PNG will rebound and be back at the top of the district.  Who knows.  I just think we need to wait, we ALL will find out soon enough. But, I think its only fitting that we give the applicants their privacy at this time.

PNG>>>>>>>Honor......Pride.....Tradition......."Priceless"

No, I remember going to a PNG game in the 1980s when the "Dynasty" was coming to an end. PNG loses the game and there are grown PNG men shouting at the visiting team that they are going to come to their town and " Whip their a@@@@." That's what I think of when I think of PNG.  Grown men making threats against 16-18 year old kids because PNG had lost a game.

KDOSullivan.......there are fans like that in EVERY district....always some bad apples.  I moved from northeast Texas to PNG, in the early 80's, not because of the football team or sports, but because, I feel PNG is the BEST school in Texas academically...period.  My son was a former Indian Spirit, my daughter an Indianette, and yes, my wife and I and kids ALL bleed purple.  However, never, would any of us put down a team or player from another school, unfortunately, that happens.  I'm sorry you had to hear or experience that....but believe me, MOST PNG fans are not like that. Back to the issue at hand, the list of name, final four, whatever, will come out.  I think we should just be patient and wait and see. 

If you applied for a job, would you want it put in the paper everybody else that applied for that job, along with your name?  What if you got hired, and people thought you weren't as qualified for the job or you wouldn't do as well of a job as another guy on the list?  How would you feel about that?

Been told for years there are "better people than me out there" from my constituents. Welcome to the world of public service.

Public service?  Everybody is a "public servant" aren't they?  I mean if you really get down to it.  What do you do for a living?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124