PNG coaching search update

PNG1992

OK, excellent.

Coop, you still that FOI request going, right?

Beaumont Enterprise

Thirty-five apply for Port Neches-Groves position

By RYAN S. CLARK

January, 13, 2009

Port Neches-Groves ISD board members said they did not want to release names of the 35 applicants for high school football coach/boys athletic coordinator position despite a public records request made by The Enterprise and other media outlets.

Members revealed the number of applicants at a school board meeting Tuesday. The application deadline for the positions is Thursday.

PN-G ISD board president Randy Brittain said before the meeting he did not want to release the candidates' names because they might lose their job or possibly withdraw from the coaching search.

Brittain said a requirement that all applicants have a master's degree would not limit the number of qualified candidates, a concern he said many fans have.

Brittain said the master's requirement is common for all school administrators.

PN-G is among three Southeast Texas high schools that will hire a new football coach in the coming months. Memorial and Little Cypress-Mauriceville also have coaching vacancies, but neither requires applicants to have a master's.

Brittain said former coach Matt Burnett did not have a master's degree. Burnett coached at PN-G for 22 seasons, the last 15 as head coach. The PN-G board reassigned Burnett to outdoor athletic complex coordinator and student attendance officer on Nov. 25.

Burnett will remain as boys athletic coordinator until a new coach and athletic coordinator are hired.

Interviews for the positions run from Jan. 19 to Jan. 23, according to a timetable released by the PN-G ISD. The second round is Jan. 30 to Feb. 3. A candidate will be recommended to the board Feb. 10. The new coach/athletic director's first day is March 2, according to the schedule

I didn't file for this one this time. Other people have though.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these posts are just plain ridiculous!  But, I guess we ALL have our VARIED opinions, thats why we have a forum, right?  What it all boils down to, is, we as fans, have to accept what is given to us, whether good or bad.  One thing for sure, is that EACH of us are here to support those young men that go out every Friday night, dress out with  helmets and pads, and play their hearts out for our enjoyment.  Man, I can't wait for high school football to get here again!

I was house searching in the Port Neches area, but have since changed my mind after reading this thread.  Jackhammer has hit the nail on the head.

I would think the the quality of education, i.e. TAKS results, academic standing, etc. would be the driving force in deciding if I want to send my child to a particular school, not the attitude of fans or the record of a particular sports team.

I was house searching in the Port Neches area, but have since changed my mind after reading this thread.  Jackhammer has hit the nail on the head.

I would think the the quality of education, i.e. TAKS results, academic standing, etc. would be the driving force in deciding if I want to send my child to a particular school, not the attitude of fans or the record of a particular sports team.

to each his own

I doubt any person with a fully functional brain would choose a community based on what he reads on a internet forum. I'm sure he just trying ti stir you up.

Hey mods, instead of moderating me, how about taking care of these jacka$$e$ that come on here with the sole intent to crap on a thread and cause trouble? You guys let the crap starters say whatever they want which takes every thread off subject and turns it into a pissing match. Keep the threads on subject if you want people to be civil.

I would HOPE no one would make an important decision about where to live and raise his family based on an opinion board.  But, if one were to read these boards unbiased they would realize that this board reflects the spirit of the community and how Port Neches is a place where the parents think alot of their children and how they are educated.  Believe me there are a lot worse places to raise a family.

Hey mods, instead of moderating me, how about taking care of these jackasses that come on here with the sole intent to crap on a thread and cause trouble? You guys let the s**t starters say whatever they want which takes every thread off subject and turns it into a pissing match. Keep the threads on subject if you want people to be civil.

Agree.

Back to the issue at hand.  I think keeping the list of applicants secret is a good idea.  If the list were revealed, as was stated, it could endanger a coaches position at his present school.  I think the PNG school board is doing the right thing and we, the fans and spectators, will have to wait for the end result.  No matter who the new head coach is, there are going to be pros and cons about the guy.  PNG.....Honor, Pride, Tradition....!

Back to the issue at hand.  I think keeping the list of applicants secret is a good idea.  If the list were revealed, as was stated, it could endanger a coaches position at his present school.  I think the PNG school board is doing the right thing and we, the fans and spectators, will have to wait for the end result.  No matter who the new head coach is, there are going to be pros and cons about the guy.  PNG.....Honor, Pride, Tradition....!

Whatever.  You guys are so arrogant for some reason!  It's not that hard to release names. 

LCM RELEASES NAMES OF APPLICANTS

Paul Baird - Saginaw HS- Fort Worth, TX

Troy Bolton - LCM HS-Orange, TX

Marcus Booker - Cotulla ISD-Cotulla, TX

Gary Brewton - Andy Dekaney HS-Spring ISD

Thomas Campos - Hanna HS-Brownsville, TX

Gene Clemons - Urbana University

Lonnie Cook

Jamie Critchlow - Texas A&M-Commerce

Randy Crouch - WOS HS-Orange, TX

John Daugherty - England Public Schools-england, AR

Byron Dawson - Evangel Christian Academy-Shreveport, LA

Michael Gaston - Holmes HS-San Antonio, TX

Rayburn Greene - Lancaster Christian Academy-Smyrna, TN

Tracey Hamilton - Edcouch-Elsa ISD-Edcouch, TX

Jeff Harrell - Texas HS - Texarkana, TX

Charles Hatfield, III - T.F. South HS-Lansing, IL

Kevin Hayes - Teague ISD-Teague, TX

Dearl Holt

Andy Hrncir - H.M. King HS, Kingsville, TX

Jeffrey Huff - Wichita Falls HS-Wichita Falls, TX

Tony Johnson - Wichita South HS- Wichita, KS

Jerry Kantor - McKinney Boyd HS-Mckinney, TX

John Launius - Trinity Valley Comm College-Athens, Tx

Michael Long - South Grand Prairie HS-Grand Prairie, TX

Mike Mari - Mendocino College

Leonard McAngus - Northwest ISD-Justin, TX

Curt McElroy - Nye County ISD-Tonopah, Nevada

Patrick Melton - Pasadena HS-Pasadena, TX

Greg Morgan - Madisonville CISD-Madisonville, TX

Todd Moses - Beaumont ISD-Beaumont, TX

Michael Pagliaro - Waukegan HS-Waukegan, IL

Jeffrey Palmer - North Iredell lHS-New London, NC

Ronald Poehls - Georgetown ISD-Georgetown, TX

Frank Pomarico - Lumen Christi HS

Ryan Prong - Contributing Columnist, UHND.com

James Rabe - Ganado ISD-Ganado, TX

Josh Rankin - Haltom HS-Haltom City, TX

Joe Ray - St Andrew's Episcopal School-Ridgeland, Miss

Kenneth Riedinger II - Elysian Fields HS-Elysian Fields, TX

Russell Roberts - New Caney HS-New Caney, TX

Marcus Rogers - Fairley HS

David Satcher - Clear Lake HS-Houston, TX

Marquette Smith - Trinity Prep School

Rock Stanley - South Garland HS-Garland, TX

Michael Stewart - Orangefield ISD-Orangefield, TX

Carl Straube - Mathis ISD-Mathis, TX

Travis Titus - Cape Hatteras Secondary School-Buxton, NC

Sean Van De Merghel - United HS-Laredo, TX

Todd Watters - Beaumont Central HS-Beaumont, TX

Scott Wells - Springtown HS-Springtown, TX

Brandon Wood - Shaw HS

I understand their desire to keep the list secret...most folks who apply for another job don't necessarily let their current employer know for obvious reasons...I don't see this job as being any different...of course, we all want to know who is on the list, but this will all play out in due time and satisfying everyone's curiosity should not override the need to not put any potential candidates jobs in jeopardy or put these guys in a bad spot with their current schools...after all, only one person is going to actually get the job and the rest have to return to where they were.

Why? Because our School Board doesn't what a potential candidate to back out because he might get fired if he interviews? It sucks for us who want to know, but I understand and applaud it! It's a morale issue. Ask the exBoston College coach about confidentiallity? If the gov't requires them to release it then they will release it. If candidates remove their name because of the release then PNG has suffered because the media/gov't. and not because of PNG. That's not arrogance folks! And if you think it is then we wouldn't want you in PN or Groves!

Why? Because our School Board doesn't what a potential candidate to back out because he might get fired if he interviews? It sucks for us who want to know, but I understand and applaud it! It's a morale issue. Ask the exBoston College coach about confidentiallity? If the gov't requires them to release it then they will release it. If candidates remove their name because of the release then PNG has suffered because the media/gov't. and not because of PNG. That's not arrogance folks! And if you think it is then we would NOT want you in PN or Groves!

Fixed it for you.  ;D

If LC-M can release their list then PN-G has no excuse. Confidentiality indeed.  ::)  I bet some of the same names may be on PN-G's list that are on the LC-M list as well.

I think most districts are not stupid to the fact that their district is not the best in the world and a coach may want to leave to better themselves in their career. If anything, they wouldn't tell the coach he was fired if he is a winning coach. They will probably offer him a raise in pay to keep him on. So don't give us this "morale" BS and try to talk down to us like PN-G is more careful in their decision making. Breaking the law is not a sound decision.

Come on now, Injuns. Just pony up the names or face the LAWFUL consequences. Even the attorney general can't help you stop a FOI.

Does anyone believe that the applicants asked the school board if the were going to release their names to the media before they applied? And told them if they did they would not apply. If the appicant did that to his present employer then he would do it to us later. The coaching profession is not the same as a job in the private sector. I believe every applicant has told his present boss that he is applying for this job. This is common practice in the coaching profession.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed