Best LU PG ever???

Lazeek

I have been watching LU play since the mid 80's and I have seen them all.  IMO Kenny Dawkins is the best Point Guard that has ever put on a Cardinal uniform.  Don't get me wrong, Atiim Brown could really go and control the floor, but he was not the complete player that KD is. 

I have been watching LU play since the mid 80's and I have seen them all.  IMO Kenny Dawkins is the best Point Guard that has ever put on a Cardinal uniform.  Don't get me wrong, Atiim Brown could really go and control the floor, but he was not the complete player that KD is. 

I like KD, but I'm still a big Alvin Brooks fan.

I have to agree on this one, KD does more for this team than any other PG hass ever done for an LU team. He is a delight to watch. Wish we would have had him for 4 years. I really hope that Miles is learning from watching Kenny do his thing. Miles shows some flashes of being very good in time as well.

Nuno Muandumba that we are getting from AZ next year is highly rated on the ESPN database. They had Charlie Harper and Miles with 40 scouts grades out of HS last year and they have Nuno at 87.

I haven't watched all the pg's who came through Lamar, but I did see Brown play and he was nice. But Dawkins! Oh my God! I've played against Mike Oliver once in the early 80's but i don't remember Oliver having moves and the quickness like Dawkins. I have all the respect for pg's who can score and still lead their games.

I didn't see many games in the late 80s and early 90s because I lived in Houston, but KD is the best PG I have seen in a Lamar uniform.  Alvin Brooks was great, but I give Kenny the nod as a better all around player.

I would further state Kenny is THE BEST PLAYER  Lamar has had this decade.  Yeah, I know Daniels was special, but I'd build a team around Kenny ahead of Daniels.

Guest nostradamus

Listen guys,

I am, no doubt, drinking the Kenny Dawkins Kool Aid.  He is definitely a stud.....but the best PG Lamar has ever had??  Nope.  He is not even top 3.

1.  Atiim Brown - can do everything Dawkins does and was 6'2" on top of it.

2.  David Jones - arguably the best floor leader Lamar has ever had

3.  LaMont Robinson - the best defender Lamar has EVER had!

4.  Jerry Everett - absolute offensive stud with arms that dang near touched the floor

5.  Matt Sunblad - the consumate PG

***  Mike Oliver - I thought of him more as a SG than a PG

Guest nostradamus
I just have one question... How many of them lead their teams to wins like KD is doing now?

First, I made a HUGE mistake by leaving out Alvin Brooks....my bad there!

Second, Mr. Brooks, Atiim Brown, David Jones, Jerry Everett, and LaMont Robinson are 4 of the main reasons Lamar has ANY basketball banners hanging in the Montagne Center

Guest stevenash

Have watched Lamar since they had the long winning streak at Civic Center.  My vote goes to either Lamont Robinson, Alvin Brooks or Atiim Brown.  I also remember a guy named Anthony Bledsoe whom I believe was as talented a player as ever donned an LU uniform but think he was more of a small forward.

Guest nostradamus

George Butler.......STUD!!!

Keith Veney too.......ended up playing for Billy Donovan at Marshall and setting all kinds of 3 point records.  Man if those two guys had stayed at Lamar for all 4 years........WOW!

I do not agree that Bledsoe could arguably be best ever at Lamar.  He was a small forward (outside shot not good enough to be a guard-very flat), and maybe in top ten, but not top five IMO.  Here is my take:

1. Pic Kea

2. T. Sewell

3. BB or James Gulley (tie)

4. Mike Oliver

I would include Alan Daniels, Adrian Caldwell,  and Kenneth Perkins in the nxt five,  I also personally liked Brian Kellebrew and Jerry Everett as players better than Bledsoe.

I do not agree that Bledsoe could arguably be best ever at Lamar.  He was a small forward (outside shot not good enough to be a guard-very flat), and maybe in top ten, but not top five IMO.  Here is my take:

1. Pic Kea

2. T. Sewell

3. BB or James Gulley (tie)

4. Mike Oliver

I would include Alan Daniels, Adrian Caldwell,  and Kenneth Perkins in the nxt five,  I also personally liked Brian Kellebrew and Jerry Everett as players better than Bledsoe.

We were listing the best Point Guards.

My list would be:

1.George Butler

2. George Butler

3. George Butler

4. Geroge Butler

5. Kenny Dawkins

Guest coachacola

Butler did not play the point when he was at Lamar

I'm sorry, I could only see him in his Georgetown uniform hitting shots. My bad! I got carried away.

Did he ever play any games for Lamar?  I googled him and it says he played for Tyler JC then Georgetown.  Did he play some as a freshman for Lamar then transferred to Tyler JC?  I don't remember him, but then again I pretty much gave up on Lamar basketball in the 90s.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont