Best QB In Dayton History

liltex

You are watching Cody Green right now.Gregory Charles was another great qb for 1 season(last year).There has been very few Broncos ever to be recruited by a D1 college or ever been on the top 100 recruit list-Cody is in the top 35.Savor the moment and come out and watch him as he is playing his last games as a Dayton Bronco.We have had some real good RB'S but never was a pass threat that I can remember of any magnitude like the last two years-Hence our deep run to the semi's last year and our current path now.History was made last year-This year may be the Best ever.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pearson was great QB but ran totally different offense than Cody or Greg.  if dak(Pearson) would have ran the offense that dayton runs know there would be no doubt that he was the best Dayton QB.

we'd still be more run based... I'm don't think there is any way to know if Dakarai could've thrown with these guys. i think the offense would look a lot of the way it did with Calvin Davis.

I cant beleive you would put Dak and calvin in the same sentence

yes they would have ran like crazy the option and the GT and the zone read

I never said their talent was equal... He was the first QB that we ran the spread with and was the most like Dak in terms of elusiveness.

The world is full of if's.Cody has a 65% completion record w/less talented recievers this year than last years group.If he had been a Houston/Beaumont area QB he would have many articles in the local big newspapers.Apples to apples he still has put up numbers that say He Is The Best.Magazine writers touted him as a top prospect as a soph.in 2006.He threw for over 1,400 yds.w/21 td.passes that year.Dayton's 3 most successful playoff years were all w/good passing qb's.Pearson-Charles- Green period.In 1961 Donald Sprayberry the qb had led the Broncos to their previous long playoff run.

Here is just a list of the QB's I can remember and they build up to the answer I believe. There are others that if I know I am leaving off the list, but anyway.

Josh Day

Curtis Trousdale

Tony Sandels (God only if he had 4 years and a good coach)

Derrick Briggs (biting my tongue)

Zach Smith

Rick Davis

Dakari Pearson

Bobby Little

Calvin Davis

Gregory Charles (Did more than any QB in school history as the 3rd stringer, got to love the story)

Cody Green (By far the most talent to play QB, if nothing else the only pure true QB I can ever recall)

im gonna go out on a limb and say gregory charles ive been watching dayton for about 10+ years and i have to say he impressed me more then any qb ive seen start for dayton...........but they might have a lil advantage because they are throwing the ball to arguably the best reciever to play for dayton(dugat)

im gonna go out on a limb and say gregory charles ive been watching dayton for about 10+ years and i have to say he impressed me more then any qb ive seen start for dayton...........but they might have a lil advantage because they are throwing the ball to arguably the best reciever to play for dayton(dugat)

very true...  ;D

AJ certainly attains the level of best receiver, but the others recently have been terrific and honestly before the last several years Dayton just never really had any receivers.

Don't forget the great late Ricky Eggleston who went on to set many school records at Sam Houston State University.  There were other great tight-ends and receivers that had come through as well but Dayton had always been a run oriented team in the past.  Not to take anything away from the QB's that played in my era but the crop of QB's have been really good over the last 10 yrs.

The best QB is a topic that we can debate for years and years and years.  Simone Pearson was a pretty good QB as well as Dak.  For my money we're watching one of the best to ever play QB in Dayton.  Is he better than D. or S. Pearson??  Who knows.  Either of the three of them were pretty good and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.  Of course Curtis Trousdale threw a great deep ball and played for pitiful coaches.  One can only imagine what he would have been in an offense like this.

Don't throw the D1 recruit thing out either.  D1 recruits have to have the measurables...size, speed, etc... but the most highly recruited players aren't always the best.  Drew Brees, Chase Daniel, Kevin Kolb, Todd Reesing, and Graham Harrell were not highly recruited players out of high school because they didn't have the size.  Anyone want to argue if they're pretty good QB's or not?  To say that Cody is the best because he's the only D1 recruit is ignorant.  He's pretty good though and he does have the size and speed that scouts/coaches can project onto the next level.  If you still don't believe me then go and see where that little receiver #12 from Lake Travis went to college.  He was one of the best high school receivers I've seen...he was always open.  How many colleges recruit receivers that are 5'6" tall however...only ones that run world class speeds and I don't think that kid could do that. 

Don't throw the D1 recruit thing out either.  D1 recruits have to have the measurables...size, speed, etc... but the most highly recruited players aren't always the best.  Drew Brees, Chase Daniel, Kevin Kolb, Todd Reesing, and Graham Harrell were not highly recruited players out of high school because they didn't have the size.  Anyone want to argue if they're pretty good QB's or not?  To say that Cody is the best because he's the only D1 recruit is ignorant.  He's pretty good though and he does have the size and speed that scouts/coaches can project onto the next level.  If you still don't believe me then go and see where that little receiver #12 from Lake Travis went to college.  He was one of the best high school receivers I've seen...he was always open.  How many colleges recruit receivers that are 5'6" tall however...only ones that run world class speeds and I don't think that kid could do that. 

I wanna say #12 committed to tech.  byrd or bird was his last name

Ignorant is not a word you would not want to use on this site against someone's opinion.Mistaken is a better word to use.Reguardless both C.Daniels and G.Harrell set all time records in High School.You are mistaken.Same said for Heisman QB's From UH-Andre Ware & David Klinlinger-What did they do at the next level.Cody Green is a SCHOLAR ATHELETE(he is smart).Been some great little qb's in the NFL-Fran Tarkenton.Little RB from last yrs.state champion-Lamar Cons.5'7" 180lbs.a true freshman playing at Oregon State leads the PAC TEN in rushing this year.Back on the subject of IF'S-Cody missed all of last season-What if he had all 3 years totals?Smart goes a long way into developing great QB'S at the next level.

Whoever the greatest one was, or is....

We have the next few weeks to watch two of the all time greatest athletes to play for the Dayton Broncos.  We need to relish these weeks and do our best as fans to support the team.

As far as I have seen.....

Cody is the best all around person to play the QB position.

He is a great student, leader, and an exceptional athlete, and he is paired up with probably the best all around athlete that Coach Stewart has coached (AJ).

Hopefully and prayfully they will have four more Bronco football wins to finish their high school careers.

Ignorant is not a word you would not want to use on this site against someone's opinion.Mistaken is a better word to use.Reguardless both C.Daniels and G.Harrell set all time records in High School.You are mistaken.Same said for Heisman QB's From UH-Andre Ware & David Klinlinger-What did they do at the next level.Cody Green is a SCHOLAR ATHELETE(he is smart).Been some great little qb's in the NFL-Fran Tarkenton.Little RB from last yrs.state champion-Lamar Cons.5'7" 180lbs.a true freshman playing at Oregon State leads the PAC TEN in rushing this year.Back on the subject of IF'S-Cody missed all of last season-What if he had all 3 years totals?Smart goes a long way into developing great QB'S at the next level.

How about un-informed then.  Thanks for proving my point for me although I'm not sure anyone else could reasonably asertain any coherent thought out of this jumbled mess.  How was it that these great quarterbacks (ware, klingler, daniels, harrell, brees, UNITAS) were able to slip through the cracks of the 1st tier schools?  My whole point was that being a highly recruited athlete doesn't mean you're necessarily the best. 

I agree but in my opinion(former bronco 65-66) Dayton was (Never) a serious threat to pass in their history until Stewart changed it.S.Pearson was a pretty good hard-headed Qb(coached him in pony league)In the playoff game against C.E.King And Pete Archie,Simone was suppossed to punt on 4th down,took it on his own and ran only to be tackled short of the 1st.down-turnover cost Dayton the game in the last minutes.Good but not great.Dakkarri was great,exciting to watch,quick and alot more.Saw all of his games as a senior.But that was 1 fantastic year wasn't it.Gregory Charles(Katrina student transfer) last yr.was a great 1 yr.QB and helped lead Dayton to it's longest playoff run.For his career(minus 13 games-2007)Nobody that I know of put up the stats of Cody Green a smart student that can read defenses.He leads this team w/a defense not quite as good as the 1998 & 2007 team had.Not a very good kicking team and Cody tries his best,but no Carranco.What could have been the numbers this year?Nearly every game Dayton has shut down their machine w/ 1/2 of the 4th quarter left to play.Last year was great(had G.Charles rushed more)who knows what they could have done.Bronco football has been great w/Stewart.Fans follow them well-still a little quiet(my opinion)for what they have done.Fan spirit is time for a big change now.A yell here and there-everybody open your mouth and say something in support of a growing/winning tradition DAYTON BRONCOS.

I'm going to cast my vote for" Gregory Charles" Its the intangibles he brought to the table. I've never seen a Q-back that  could inspire an offense like Gregory could. Before and after every down he would have the whole offense jumping up and down clapping and celebrating like they just scored. And  this enthusiasm caught on fire with the whole team. ( When the defense has their back against the wall,AJ will come in the game and do the same thing with this team )  Not to mention Gregory could on a dead run throw the ball down field further than most guys could standing still.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder