Who Will Get Dayton In The First Round? L Train Or Livingston?

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

Who Will Get Dayton In The First Round?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Get Dayton In The First Round?

• Lumberton
    • Livingston

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dayton won't let Lumberton stay close like last time.  a grind it out game benefits the Raiders and they are without a doubt very tough.  That being said if Dayton plays their game Lumberton gets smoked

I don't like the idea of taking anyone lightly...especially in the playoffs.  Lumberton will try to grind it out and if they can come out fired up and take control of the ball, then they could turn it into an ugly game.  I don't think that will be the case but I just wish Dayton would take the ball for once when they win the coin toss and jump out to an early lead.  Making a running team play catch-up usually amounts to a W.  That being said, they looked unstoppable against King but Green's inconsistency bothers me for a deep playoff run.  Put that Lake Travis QB on this team and I'd bet they would end up 16-0.  That kid was the best passer I've ever seen in a high school game.  Didn't hurt when his receivers also made 3 one-handed catches.

Dayton won't let Lumberton stay close like last time.  a grind it out game benefits the Raiders and they are without a doubt very tough.  That being said if Dayton plays their game Lumberton gets smoked

I don't like the idea of taking anyone lightly...especially in the playoffs.  Lumberton will try to grind it out and if they can come out fired up and take control of the ball, then they could turn it into an ugly game.  I don't think that will be the case but I just wish Dayton would take the ball for once when they win the coin toss and jump out to an early lead.  Making a running team play catch-up usually amounts to a W.  That being said, they looked unstoppable against King but Green's inconsistency bothers me for a deep playoff run.  Put that Lake Travis QB on this team and I'd bet they would end up 16-0.  That kid was the best passer I've ever seen in a high school game.  Didn't hurt when his receivers also made 3 one-handed catches.

He is inconsistant at about a 65% completion rate, one of the highest in the SE Texas.

He is inconsistant at about a 65% completion rate, one of the highest in the SE Texas.

C'mon bronco1...you're embarrasing the bronco faithful here.  It's inconsistEnt and yes he is inconsistent.  He overthrew AJ on the first play of the CE King game...missed three wide open receivers against Galena Park including one-hopping at 12 yard in-route.  His downfield throws are very inconsistent and he bolsters the completion percentage with a lot of short passes.  As a passer, Gregory Charles was a better quarterback but he can't run like Cody can...well few can run like Cody can.  

C'mon bronco1...you're embarrasing the bronco faithful here.  It's inconsistEnt and yes he is inconsistent.  He overthrew AJ on the first play of the CE King game...missed three wide open receivers against Galena Park including one-hopping at 12 yard in-route.  His downfield throws are very inconsistent and he bolsters the completion percentage with a lot of short passes.  As a passer, Gregory Charles was a better quarterback but he can't run like Cody can...well few can run like Cody can.  

He's a high school quarterback. He's got 2 years of playing QB under his belt, so comparing him to Gilbert and Karam like someone did earlier is not a good comparison as both have been playing QB for at least 6 years and coached for longer than that. He missed 3 open receivers??... you'll see that with almost any QB you watch at any level. Also, Cody makes throws that typical high school QB's cannot make (i.e. 20 yd out) and that includes Greg (who did a great job btw). Our receivers also drop some of those downfield and short routes as well which drop his completion % (12 drops vs. Fwood), so it kinda evens out. I think we expect him to play like the players on sat. and sun. because he is so highly recruited. Just give him some time. It's undeniable that he is much improved as a runner AND a passer since the beginning of the year.

He's a high school quarterback. He's got 2 years of playing QB under his belt, so comparing him to Gilbert and Karam like someone did earlier is not a good comparison as both have been playing QB for at least 6 years and coached for longer than that. He missed 3 open receivers??... you'll see that with almost any QB you watch at any level. Also, Cody makes throws that typical high school QB's cannot make (i.e. 20 yd out) and that includes Greg (who did a great job btw). Our receivers also drop some of those downfield and short routes as well which drop his completion % (12 drops vs. Fwood), so it kinda evens out. I think we expect him to play like the players on sat. and sun. because he is so highly recruited. Just give him some time. It's undeniable that he is much improved as a runner AND a passer since the beginning of the year.

He's highly recruited because he's got two things you can't coach...size and speed.  It's one thing to "miss" as in "not see" receivers that are open because you've only been playing quarterback for two years.  It's another thing to miss a wide open receiver you do see because of another thing you can't coach and that's the ability to throw the ball accurately DOWNFIELD.  He's a top notch quarterback and makes our offense hard to stop...but he does have shortcomings.  I just have a bad feeling it will show up in a close game (we haven't had many of those remember) when he misses a wide open receiver on a crucial play. 

Gregory Charles threw a perfect 20 yard out against Texas City in the playoffs last year.  He also threw the post and the corner routes well.  He may not be a better overall quarterback but he was better throwing the ball downfield.

Not saying I don't want the kid...he's a great kid as well.  I just hope he lives up to some of the inflated expectations.

He's highly recruited because he's got two things you can't coach...size and speed.  It's one thing to "miss" as in "not see" receivers that are open because you've only been playing quarterback for two years.  It's another thing to miss a wide open receiver you do see because of another thing you can't coach and that's the ability to throw the ball accurately DOWNFIELD.  He's a top notch quarterback and makes our offense hard to stop...but he does have shortcomings.  I just have a bad feeling it will show up in a close game (we haven't had many of those remember) when he misses a wide open receiver on a crucial play. 

Gregory Charles threw a perfect 20 yard out against Texas City in the playoffs last year.  He also threw the post and the corner routes well.  He may not be a better overall quarterback but he was better throwing the ball downfield.

Not saying I don't want the kid...he's a great kid as well.  I just hope he lives up to some of the inflated expectations.

I agree he does have shortcomings. I also think he has been recruited because he has a big time arm. But he has made some great throws as well like 2 fades against Bay City, some nice posts to Ploch and has connected on some lasers that went 45-50 yds in the air against GP, C.E. King, etc... Greg also had some crucial mistakes... a couple of big picks on forced throws against LT and Waller. I think when we look back on the season, (hopefully at Christmas) we'll be pleased with the progression we saw out of cody. And, I predict he'll make some big plays with his arm in the playoffs.

BTW, I know you're not ragging the kid. Just discussing.

Discuss...but understand that Cody Green is a freaking phenom.  He makes pro style throws.  You can't down the kid for a few bad throws.  I am a Greg Charles fan...but he wasn't exactly stellar against Bmt Central last year.  All I'm saying is don't judge Cody b/c of a few bad throws.  Green is for sure the top QB Dayton has had in a long time.

Charles had his shortcomings as well and he doesn't come anywhere near Cody in the rushing category.  I wouldn't quite call him a phenom...although his combination of size and speed is something we haven't seen before.  I'm just think he's a little short in his ability to throw the ball downfield.  Think back to how many passes he completed over 15 yards where you said to yourself..."that was a great throw."  I've yet to do that this year.  Now the catch #10 (can't ever remember his name) against North Forest sure made that throw look better than it was.  Last week against King he woefully underthrew AJ on a play that turned out to be a touchdown.  AJ was wide open out of the 5 wide empty backfield set.  The throw was not a good one and the linebacker almost got a piece of that ball.  I'm not saying he can't throw the ball 65 yards or that he can't throw the deep out or the post...I'm saying that he doesn't do it consistently.  Overall, he's top notch because he's such a good runner (although he seems to pick the wrong hole on occassion) just worried about his ability to get the ball downfield.  Hasn't hampered us yet because we haven't been in a nip and tuck game where every play counted.  I'd just like them to take the whole pie this year and they could do it.  But Cody will have to improve his ability to get the ball downfield against better teams.  Of course, that's not to say that he can't improve between now and the end of the season. 

PS - Passing wise, I'm not sure I would put him in the top 5 of all time Dayton QBs. 

PSS - That being said, he may be the best overall QB Dayton has had.  Dekauri (spelling on that one please) probably has that one locked down right now but we'll see.

Someone needs to change the title of this thread to "CODY GREEN...YAY OR NAY?"  instead of "Who Will Get Dayton In The First Round? L Train Or Livingston?"

Sounds like the Dayton fans are more worried about their quarterback instead of who they play in the playoffs.

Someone needs to change the title of this thread to "CODY GREEN...YAY OR NAY?"  instead of "Who Will Get Dayton In The First Round? L Train Or Livingston?"

Sounds like the Dayton fans are more worried about their quarterback instead of who they play in the playoffs.

Nope, just wondering if this is the guy that wins us state...since that'll go through L-train or Livingston its as good a place as any.

PS - Passing wise, I'm not sure I would put him in the top 5 of all time Dayton QBs. 

PSS - That being said, he may be the best overall QB Dayton has had.  Dekauri (spelling on that one please) probably has that one locked down right now but we'll see.

what 5 passers would you put ahead of him? I'm only 27 and can't remember that many.

Dakarai was the best RUNNING QB at Dayton. didn't throw much (wishbone offense, i believe)

we are off topic. just seems silly to start ANOTHER dayton thread.

what 5 passers would you put ahead of him? I'm only 27 and can't remember that many.

Dakarai was the best RUNNING QB at Dayton. didn't throw much (wishbone offense, i believe)

I hope you don't want names because I can barely remember the kids names that are on the team now.  #8 from 1990-91 was the best; #11 from 1994 could throw the best deep ball although that team was terrible.  After that it's a toss up but I'd say those were the two best pure passers and I'm not sure that if I sat down and looked at it all that Cody would make the top five as a passer.  Sorry, I thought #10 made that catch against NF...

Dakarai was the best QB/athlete period to ever come through there.  I'd like to see what he could have done in this system...he was in a running offense but don't think he couldn't throw the ball.

Update:  Can't find any archived team rosters anywhere so I'll just leave it at that.

Dakarai was awesome no doubt, and he was playing with a hernia all season in 98.  Don't forget about the man Calvin Davis, that kid was sick.  One more that we never really got to see, and was on his way to being a phenom, was Lloyd Ligons.  Lloyd was a giant like Cody and he had a cannon.  I don't know much about the qb's before Coach Stewart came but I know they had a few awesome qb's then to. 

I have to agree with you Rollinac. Cody has an incredible physical presence on the field but there have been many times when a would be TD was missed due to the pass being thrown too hard down the middle or too long. Of course, I'll still rather him driving the boat than any other I've seen this year in 19-4A. He's got the raw skills no doubt.

After last years loss to LT, I was hoping that the coaching staff would realize what kind of passing precision is necessary to make it to the big show. I was hoping that as the year progressed, we would start to see that. Or at least our version of it. But I have to be honest, it's not there. The receivers routes are not crisp, the timing is off, and with the exception of some great fades to the corner, alot of the down field throws are off. Maybe I'm unfairly comparing them to LT's passing game, but dude, we have a 6' 4" phenom with a rocket arm and they're not taking full advantage of him. I can already see it coming, they will keep running him off tackle until he gets hit by a real linebacker then it's over.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. But don't get me wrong, I loves me some Bronco Football. More fun than I've had in years and I've been a fan since 82. When you get close like we did last year, it makes you want more! Sorta like heroin. All you other HS football junkies know what I'm talking about. Otherwise why would you spend so much time here?

As far as who get's the stampede in the first round, Lumberton. Nederland will win at home. Then next week the real smack starts!! 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami