*HJ vs. OF Updates*/H-J WINS!!!

Ugly win for the Hawks tonight!!!  Passing game seemed to be very effective for both teams tonight.  HJ played just good enough to win on the road on O'Field's homecoming.  Great win for the Hawks!!!!  Score should have been higher for the Hawks but the pathetic refs kept throwing the yellow rag on the field....especially the head referee!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Guest bleed orange

Good game to the hawks. Well we did not get beat like some of you predicted. I guess that's why you call them predictions. I was impressed with the kicker from HJ, he has a strong leg. I was also impressed with the arm strength of the quarterback. He threw bullets at times. Congrats to the Orangefield kids they played hard and never gave up.

Good game to the hawks. Well we did not get beat like some of you predicted. I guess that's why you call them predictions. I was impressed with the kicker from HJ, he has a strong leg. I was also impressed with the arm strength of the quarterback. He threw bullets at times. Congrats to the Orangefield kids they played hard and never gave up.

I predicted that it would be close!!!!  HJ would have won by more had the head ref not hosed us all night long!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Guest bleed orange

Ugly win for the Hawks tonight!!!  Passing game seemed to be very effective for both teams tonight.  HJ played just good enough to win on the road on O'Field's homecoming.  Great win for the Hawks!!!!  Score should have been higher for the Hawks but the pathetic refs kept throwing the yellow rag on the field....especially the head referee!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Lets see Lazeek, who was that mask man in the stripes? Could it be the "weather man" or his twin brother who was sheltered as a child and always wanted to be like big brother? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lets see Lazeek, who was that mask man in the stripes? Could it be the "weather man" or his twin brother who was sheltered as a child and always wanted to be like big brother? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ol HoopinsiderCoop was on the call tonight!!!!  Told him at half that just about every big play HJ had running they threw a flag for holding!!!! :D :D :D

Guest bleed orange

Is David Martel still the head coach? See I ran track against his older brother Gary. We both ran the third leg on the 1600 meter relay. Poor Gary only saw my back side.  :D :D :D :D

Guest bleed orange

Well our girls won in volleyball tonight. So we are even. The night was not a total loss. I will say this and I know this is a football thread. The volleyball coach at HJ is making great strides with the volleyball program. You guys better keep her and I know you have connection "Lazeek".

Guest bleed orange

I have not seen a high school volleyball game since my wife played back in like 95!!!!  I do not even know who the coach is!!!!  I have heard nothing but good things though.

Let me ask you this, do you guys have any kids? If you have girls, you will be watching volleyball again. I know, I know basketball is No1. ;D ;D

Huge win for the hawks ...we did have the refs hating on us...the score should have been a lot worse!!!!hj will come out strong and confident against HF it is our homecoming!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Turnovers plague OF; H-J wins, 23-13

Dan Perrine

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Turnovers are often the deciding factor in a close game, and Friday night’s contest at F. L. McCLain Stadium was another example of that fact. The Hardin-Jefferson Hawks used four turnovers to edge past the Orangefield Bobcats 23-13.

The key turnover of the game was an interception by the Hawks’ Jacoby Turner in the third quarter. Turner grabbed a fluttering pass from the Bobcats’ Jace Statum, who was hit while throwing, and Turner went the distance 90 yards for the touchdown with 30 seconds to play in the period.

Hardin-Jefferson (3-3, 2-0) increased their lead to 23-7 with Turner’s return. The Hawks also got their first score in the first quarter thanks to a Bobcat mistake.

Orangefield (1-4, 0-2) stopped the Hawks on their first possession and took the ball following a punt at the Bobcat 11. On their second play the Bobcats’ Chase Parker fumbled and the Hawks recovered at the Orangefield 11. Parker was playing for the injured Zach Peevey and finished the game with 94 yards on 16 carries.

The Bobcat defense appeared to have held the Hawks out of the end zone and forced a field goal attempt. On third-and-6, Hardin-Jefferson’s Blake Venable rolled right and threw a pass in the end zone. A Bobcat defender and a Hawk receiver both got their hands on the ball which then caroomed behind them and was fluttering to the ground when the Hawks’ David Daniel snared the deflection for the touchdown. Stuart Flowers kicked the point-after to make the score 7-0 with 7:34 to play in the first quarter.

A second fumble deep in Orangefield territory on the Bobcats’ next possession gave Hardin-Jefferson a great opportunity to add to their lead. The Bobcat defense stopped the Hawks cold forcing a 43-yard field goal attempt by Flowers. The kick had plenty of distance, but was wide left.

The Bobcats actually fumbled on first down of their third possession, but that was the last mistake they made on that drive. Seven plays later would find the score tied.

Statum was perfect throwing the football on the drive, completing four of four passes for 31 yards to three different receivers. On third-and-one from the Hardin-Jefferson 44 Parker popped through a hole in the line, and the chase was on which Parker won easily to the end zone for the touchdown. Derrick Evans knotted the score with a successful kick at 1:43 of the first quarter.

Next possession Hardin-Jefferson regained the lead with an 8-play drive of its own. Venable completed two big passes, 17 yards to Josh Denton and 30 yards to Trey Burrell. A penalty on the pass to Burrell actually erased a touchdown and put the ball on the Orangefield 21.

The drive stalled there. Flowers came on and booted a 35-yard field goal to give the Hawks the lead 10-7 with just over 9 minutes to play in the half.

Penalties proved pivotal on the Hawks’ next scoring drive. Two personal foul penalties against Orangefield, the first for roughing the passer on a third down incompletion and the second for facemasking, gave the Hawks’ 30 yards of the 56 yards covered on the drive.

Turner who would be heard from later on defense made a nice run from 12 yards for the touchdown. The kick was blocked leaving the score 16-7 with only about 2 minutes left in the first half.

Orangefield mounted the only offensive drive of the second half, using the same balanced attack that worked so well on its other scoring drive. Statum completed three passes for 38 yards. Parker once again got the scoring honors with a 2-yard run around left end. The Bobcats went for two, but Statum’s pass was batted away.

Next week Orangefield travels to Silsbee, and Hardin-Jefferson will try to remain undefeated in district at home against Hamshire-Fannett.

Hardin-Jefferson 23

Orangefield 13

OF 7 0 0 6 — 13

H-J 7 9 7 0 — 23

Scoring summary

HJ-David Daniel 6 pass from Blake Venable. Stuart Flowers kick.

OF-Chase Parker 44 run. Derrick Evans kick.

HJ-Flowers 35 field goal.

HJ-Jacoby Turner 12 run. Kick blocked.

HJ-Turner 90 interception return. Flowers kick.

OF-Parker 2 run. Pass failed.

———

OF H-J

First downs 11 12

Rushes-yards 30-125 44-154

Passing 147 70

Comp-Att-Int 14-28-2 4-9-0

Fumbles-Lost 4-2 1-1

Penalties-Yards 5-45 9-60

———

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Orangefield, Chase Parker 16-94, Jace Statum 9-13, Josh Shores 3-10, Steven Stone 2-8; H-J, Jacoby Turner 17-73, Trey Burrell 16-50, Blake Venable 10-28, Cameron Ainsworth 1-3.

PASSING— Orangefield, Jace Statum 14-28-2-147. H-J, Blake Venable 4-9-0 70.

RECEIVING—Orangefield, Derrick Evans 3-62, Josh Shores 3-33, Kenneth Wiggins 3-33, Caleb Holmes 3-15, Josh Watson 2-4; H-J, Trey Burrell 1-30, Josh Denton 1-17, James Morrison 1-17, David Daniel 1-6.

I have not seen a high school volleyball game since my wife played back in like 95!!!!  I do not even know who the coach is!!!!  I have heard nothing but good things though.

Let me ask you this, do you guys have any kids? If you have girls, you will be watching volleyball again. I know, I know basketball is No1. ;D ;D

We have one son (7) so volleyball is not an option!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest bleed orange

We have one son (7) so volleyball is not an option!!!! ;D ;D ;D

You better get busy then. Practice makes perfect. I like practice. ;D ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83