Best Coach in the Area

What team has the Best Coach in the Area?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What team has the Best Coach in the Area?

• WB
    • Nederland
    • WO S
    • Lumberton
    • Other Schools

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put all these coaches at the same school..... who would do the best?  Many of these guys are blessed with tremendous athletes... some of that is in part due to offseason programs that the coaches implement, but nonethe less athletes are atheletes.

If they were all coaching at the same school.... Say Ozen... who would lead the team the furthest?

Guest EagleFan01

That is not always true about being blessed with good athletes helps make a good coach look at San Augustine they have all the athletes a coach could want and they have some of the worst coach's I have ever seen.  Now you could take Barbay, Hooks, Stump, Alvarez, Neumann, or whoever you guys think is the best coach in the area and the guys i named above are probably some of the best these guys could go to Ozen and turn that program around within a year or so, you just have to get the kids to buy into the system you are trying to run, get them out of that loser mentality, and get them to dedicate themselves to the offseason workout programs. The reason the coach's are so good year in and year out granted these teams do have athletes but also the coach's get the guys to buy into the systems they are putting in, the kids work hard for these coachs they respect the coach's and they want to do good for these coach's. So yeah athletes help but that is not all you need by any means...

• 4 weeks later...

Lumberton is also one of the smallest 4A schools in the state and considering battling the old losing tradition I dont see how you can overlook Creadur and the staff at Lumberton.

I think it's a bit early to be putting Coach C in with the Hooks, Neumans and the Barbays. Give him a few more years and then I think it would be a fair assessment. Right now, it's okay to overlook him.

Don't care for him but with a 78% winning percentage (the highest in the State of Texas) I have to go with Dan Hooks (WO-S), followed closely by Curtis Barbay (Newton).

Lets go people. Yes, Dan Hooks has the highest winning percentage but look at the athletes he gets to coach. Barbay may edge Neumann but take a look at the program before Neumann arrived. It was brutal and he turned it into a winning tradition. Neumann has taken his "for the most part" non-college athletes to war and beaten up on all the other high schools with superior athletes year after year.

The end.

Guest Brubaker

Just my two cents, but I put Neumann ahead of Hooks for this reason and this reason only.  Look what he(Hooks) did or actually didn't do while Cornell Thompson was gone.  I think he gets the lions share of the credit for that program, I don't think the athletes left those couple of years... Hooks just struggled without him.  From what I've heard, Thompson runs the offseason program among other things, he's first rate.

I never said he was in the Hooks catagory as far as all time great but I think that he shouldnt be overlooked considering the people that are on the list. But look at the athletes that come out of WOS and Newton. Those are 2 schools that are bigger schools for their divison and have plenty of athletes. Gerry Hamilton from rivals did a piece over WOS and he broke down the prospects on their team and he ended up with 5 future D1 prospects and 1 D1AA prospect.

Lumberton is a tough place to be a coach but the guys over there have really done a great job getting that place to where its at but if your gonna ignore that then apparently that skull of yours is really thick.

No you had to be a subscriber and I tryed to do it when they talked about Beard from Lumberton but couldnt do it. But they talked about James Haynes the Franks kid. Hypolyte as a future D1AA SS and said his back up will be a stud and acouple other sophmores.

I don't know cougar2020....Look at the athletes Tom Osborne had at Nebraska for years...He won...Then, he leaves and Nebraska begins a downslide that is just now starting to level out a little...the losing began with Osborne's recruits...Guess Tom just did a bad job of recruiting his last few years there...Or, maybe he was a talented coach...Who knows?

The question was who is the best coach in the area...there were no attachments to that question...When presented with that question, the best resource I have is the past 20 years of stats to work with. In that time frame, Dan Hooks (like him or not and I don't like him) has the highest winning percentage of any other coach in the State of Texas...Now, if that's due to his staff, then I would have to throw in that ole' Dan must also have a knack for surrounding himself with the right folks (also part of being a good coach).

Coach Barbay and Coach Hooks are the two best in this area, and among the best in the state. Both are good teachers of the game, readers of talent and leaders of young men. They Always get their Athletes to believe in themselves, the coaches and each other. In this day and age it is only the exceptional coaches that keep their jobs for the length of time that these men have. Coach Barbay and Coach Hooks are truly Exceptional. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124