WO-S James Haynes from ORANGEBLOODS.COM

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres

James Haynes has seen his stock soar with an impressive run of summer camp performances, and the West Orange-Stark athlete is now ready to put his talents to the test during his senior season beginning this Friday.

James Haynes opened some eyes this summer with his camp performances. 

Haynes, a 6-foot-1, 181-pound speedster, will make the move from running back to receiver this season, and he's been hard at work this summer to make sure it will be a smooth transition.

"I've been a running back all my life and they moved me to receiver. My hands weren't as good as I wanted them to be. Worked all summer to get them to where they are now. So I've been working on that and trying to put a little muscle on my body," said Haynes.

A talented pass-catcher that has this summer displayed terrific hands to go along with his athleticism, Haynes has welcomed the change of position.

"When I moved up to varsity, I guess they just thought I was going to be a wide receiver. It was a change for me. I didn't even know how to get into a wide receiver stance," he said. "They had to teach me all the basics. I only started playing football in the sixth grade so I wasn't playing that long, and the only position I had ever played was running back.

"I didn't know too much coming in but last year I learned a lot of things. I learned you have to block well, keep my feet under me, I learned the routes and right now I'm confident in everything I do."

On the recruiting front, James is beginning to land on the radars of several area programs with his strong camp showing (including earning MVP at the National Under Classmen Ultimate 100 Combine in DeSoto), and there's one school that's standing out on his early wish list.

"I would like to go to LSU," Haynes said. "But really, I'll go anywhere that's close to home. My family is from Louisiana. If I was able to go to a school around there, they could just take one day off to come watch me play instead of having to take the whole weekend."

Haynes is also being watched by the Texas Longhorns, another program that's among his group of favorites. Haynes camped at Texas in 2007 and he attended the Horns' game against Texas Tech last season.

"My coach had told me that Major Applewhite had called and asked about me. My coach said he wanted to send coach Applewhite a video of me after my second game," Haynes said. "I love Texas. I love the facilities, I love the people up there, the atmosphere around game time. It's really nice up there."

As for a timeline, the blue-chip pass catcher said he's unsure if he'll make an early commitment or wait things out.

"I'd have to talk to my parents. I haven't really looked at any schools as far as what I want to major in (sports medicine). So I'd like to check out everything and learn everything I can," Haynes said. "I'd rather wait and take my official visits, get to know the coaching staff and the players before I commit. When I make my decision, I want it to be a good decision that I can stick with."

Do you guys know what his number was at the WOS/Dayton scrimmage?

He was #15. A tall kid. He caught a couple of passes and he also broke off about a 25 yard run in the second half at Running Back. One tackle away from much more.

HE WAS ALSO THE KID WHO HAD THE INTERCEPTION RETURN FOR 95 YARDS.

He was #15. A tall kid. He caught a couple of passes and he also broke off about a 25 yard run in the second half at Running Back. One tackle away from much more.

yep... I was thinking that.. dude is fast. No need to yell. :D

yep... I was thinking that.. dude is fast. No need to yell. :D

LOL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mmj0
    Newest Member
    mmj0