* HURRICANE GUSTAV MAKES LANDFALL*

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never trust any meteorologist (not named Coop).  I remember waking up the morning before Rita, and watching KBMT, and they still had no clue where it was going to end up.

I've watched their cones of probability from two days ago not include Corpus Christi (which should mean they can tell with X amount of certainty that there's an absolute 0% chance of it hitting outside of the cone), to today, where Corpus Christi is WELL within their models.  My question is, how can their cones get wider as the hurricane becomes closer?  A: THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING!

Realistically, anywhere from Brownsville to Mobile should be on alert.  

Guest tigersvoice

Never trust any meteorologist (not named Coop).  I remember waking up the morning before Rita, and watching KBMT, and they still had no clue where it was going to end up.

I've watched their cones of probability from two days ago not include Corpus Christi (which should mean they can tell with X amount of certainty that there's an absolute 0% chance of it hitting outside of the cone), to today, where Corpus Christi is WELL within their models.  My question is, how can their cones get wider as the hurricane becomes closer?  A: THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING!

Realistically, anywhere from Brownsville to Mobile should be on alert.  

I'm not a meteorologist, nor did I stay at  -  well you know the rest, but the cones of expectation (or whatever) don't get wider as the hurricane nears land.  If you could take the mouse and move the cone in any direction you want then you would see that the cone appropriately narrows as the eye of the hurricane approaches land.  And did you study meteorology somewhere?

So...........that is just the way that it is.  They are guessing at this point as well.  No one has committed it to go to one spot and then changed their mind.  That is why there is a cone factor.  THEY ARE NOT 100% SURE AT THIS POINT.  Who thought that it would move South yesterday...nobody but it did.  We will know more in another day or so.  Let them do their job....they are human!!!!

Jindal: company not fulfilling contract for evacuation buses

by Bill Barrow and Robert Travis Scott, The Times-Picayune

Friday August 29, 2008, 7:57 PM

BATON ROUGE -- The private contractor the state hired to provide buses for hurricane evacuations has not come through with enough vehicles in a timely manner, causing the state to look elsewhere to meet the state's timeline for moving people out of New Orleans and other areas prior to the arrival of Hurricane Gustav, Gov. Bobby Jindal said Friday.

This is the hidden content, please

What? The models have come into agreement?

This is the hidden content, please

LOL....if you call them being as much as 500 miles apart as in agreement. Even the five or so that are grouped, have about a 200 mile spread. I guess for them, that is close.

Give it a couple of hours and they will all change.  ;D

WTNT62 KNHC 301718

TCUAT2

HURRICANE GUSTAV TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL  AL072008

120 PM EDT SAT AUG 30 2008

DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT

GUSTAV HAS CONTINUED TO STRENGTHEN AND NOW HAS MAXIMUM WINDS

NEAR 145 MPH...230 KM/HR WITH HIGHER GUSTS.  THIS MAKES GUSTAV AN

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON

HURRICANE SCALE.  A SPECIAL ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT ABOUT 200 PM

EDT TO MODIFY THE INITIAL AND FORECAST INTENSITIES.  THE SPECIAL

PUBLIC ADVISORY WILL TAKE THE PLACE OF THE INTERMEDIATE PUBLIC

ADVISORY PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED FOR THAT TIME.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder