Go Back In Time

Vidor vs. Central game from 2006.  This game went back and forth.  Vidor went up by 2 scores late in the 4th.  We came back.  Our last drive was capped off with our QB dragging  and carrying Vidor players in the end zone with him.  I think time was running out.  I needed an oxygen mask after that one!

let me go back  more in years.stark hight school and PN-G  4 sec on the clock pngs ball no time outs on on the tigers 5 yard line 4th down ,PNG sent in a play with 4 players no one came off PN-G wins the game and  dist champs  OH I WAS SICK but thats the brakes of the game ,i forgot what year sorry

i am going to pick on pn-g tonight. wo-s and pn-g. very little left on the clock pn-g  scores to go ahead/ pn-g kicks the ball to  k.franks , he takes it all the way jumping over alot of guys ,wo-s wins

That play was just before halftime, but it was amazing. PNG kicked the ball out of bounds. We made them kick it again and they actually kicked it to him. I remember thinking when the ball was in the air, "why would you do that?". Sure enough, it cost them. It WAS an edge of your seat game though. I think the final was 21-20. I believe I have that game on video.

let me go back  more in years.stark hight school and PN-G   4 sec on the clock pngs ball no time outs on on the tigers 5 yard line 4th down ,PNG sent in a play with 4 players no one came off PN-G wins the game and  dist champs   OH I WAS SICK but thats the brakes of the game ,i forgot what year sorry

That would be 1961. It’s hard to remember now in light of all these years of WOS glory, how frustratingly unsuccessful the Stark HS football program was. There were a few bright spots, but they were exceedingly rare.

As for 1961, Stark had pulled off an astonishing victory over TJ. I believe it was about the fourth or fifth time the Tigers had beaten the Yellow Jackets in the approximately 70 year history of the rivalry. But that win preserved a possibility that Stark could tie for first place in district and qualify as the (one and only back in those days) team to advance to the playoffs. But they had to win the final game at PNG. And they had the lead until the final play.

Later on during that pre-Beatles year there was a briefly popular sentimental song titled “We Will Have These Moments To Remember.†The Stark kids modified one of the lines to say, “The quiet walks, the noisy fun, The ball game that we almost won.†It’s hard to remember now in light of all these years of WOS glory, how desperately the Stark kids longed for some kind of athletic success.

And when talking about Stark there are so many other games that might be mentioned, where things almost went their way. The memories remain, but not the emotions. Nearly half a century has passed and it’s long since time to let it go.

who was the mustangs playing in the dome for state when this kid made a stop on the one yard line and wo-s wins state. now that game keep every one on the edge of there seats

McKinney

I’m going to have to offer a different answer.

In 1986 WOS played McKinney in the Astrodome in the final game. At the end of the third quarter WOS was ahead 21-3, but McKinney scored in the opening seconds of the fourth. The two point conversion attempt failed and the score remained 21-9. Which meant McKinney would need two touchdowns to win. Field goals wouldn’t do it, and they had an excellent kicker.

After the McKinney score WOS couldn’t move and had to punt. And then astonishingly McKinney burned off practically the entire fourth quarter on their next drive. Would have been sound strategy if they only needed one score, but as they slowly moved down the field and the time evaporated they left themselves with no choice but the onside kick option. If they could get the first touchdown.

As it turned out they didn’t. They got close, but I don’t think they made it to the 1 yard line. On fourth down they were still far enough out to not try the run. They threw a pass, the defense was there and it was incomplete. WOS retained the 21-9 lead and easily ran out the few seconds that remained on the clock.

One year later, in 1987, WOS played Kerrville Tivy in the semi-final game, in the Astrodome. The score was tied at 7-7 and Tivy had the ball on the one yard line, on fourth down. WOS had called their defense, but as Tivy came out of their huddle, Quentin Tezeno (hope that’s spelled correctly) intensely studied their formation and shifting. And he recognized something he had seen them do one time before. Tezeno concluded that Tivy would run the same play which was the quarterback rolling to his left and then handing the ball on a reverse to a guy coming back to the right.

And having drawn that conclusion, Tezeno ignored the called for defensive assignment and charged through the middle of the Tivy line the instant the ball was snapped. And when the Tivy man came back on the reverse Tezeno was right there to put the hit on him on the four yard line, which was as close as he ever got to the goal line.

That fired WOS up and they took control of the game. Tivy never again threatened. And the following week WOS won the final game and claimed their second state championship.

let me go back  more in years.stark hight school and PN-G   4 sec on the clock pngs ball no time outs on on the tigers 5 yard line 4th down ,PNG sent in a play with 4 players no one came off PN-G wins the game and  dist champs   OH I WAS SICK but thats the brakes of the game ,i forgot what year sorry

That would be 1961. It’s hard to remember now in light of all these years of WOS glory, how frustratingly unsuccessful the Stark HS football program was. There were a few bright spots, but they were exceedingly rare.

As for 1961, Stark had pulled off an astonishing victory over TJ. I believe it was about the fourth or fifth time the Tigers had beaten the Yellow Jackets in the approximately 70 year history of the rivalry. But that win preserved a possibility that Stark could tie for first place in district and qualify as the (one and only back in those days) team to advance to the playoffs. But they had to win the final game at PNG. And they had the lead until the final play.

Later on during that pre-Beatles year there was a briefly popular sentimental song titled “We Will Have These Moments To Remember.†The Stark kids modified one of the lines to say, “The quiet walks, the noisy fun, The ball game that we almost won.†It’s hard to remember now in light of all these years of WOS glory, how desperately the Stark kids longed for some kind of athletic success.

And when talking about Stark there are so many other games that might be mentioned, where things almost went their way. The memories remain, but not the emotions. Nearly half a century has passed and it’s long since time to let it go.

That game was in 1961 played at PNG. My brother was a senior that year and I was in the 9 TH grade. The play was a half back pass. Charley Wallace threw to RH Wallace for the score. Charley Wallace went to the SF 49's. He was real fast but I don't remember him doing very much for them.

I have to go with 1979 LCM at Jasper.  Jasper was ranked #1 in the state and LC-M beat them with a FG on the last play of the game.  I was just 11, but I remember that game like it was yesterday.

Another game I remember was LC-M vs. Jasper in 1983.  LC-M had the lead late and needed a first down to seal the victory.  I think we gained the yardage needed two or three times only to have each play nullified by penalty.  Jasper threw a long pass with little time remaining and got a pass interference call inside the LC-M 5 yd line (In those days PI was marked at the spot of the foul).  If I am not mistaken, Jasper missed the first FG attempt, but we were offsides and they made the second to win it 16-14.  Heartbreaker for us, but still a great game.

Also, Central at LC-M in 2003.  MUD BOWL, the water was ankle deep on the field.  LC-M scored late but missed the extra point to lose 7-6.

All great games, I am sure there are many others.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami