US OPEN??

No one said there were not field crews except DAMan.  The Tournament Director has young men coming over from Houston and also others--this will be a safe weekend.  These field folks were lined up weeks ago.  Don't believe the negatives that are  being manufactured. 

I would bring ice or water for your team.  I have never been at any Tourney anywhere where everyone was totally satisfied about the ice/water delivery situation--ice melts, water tends to be contaminated by younger folks--I am sure that some are unsatisfied already but things don't start till tomorrow night and I have a feeling that folks will try very hard to cater to your discriminating taste as best they can.

Tommy Voss a long time dedicated Tournament Director made the statement that it is getting harder and harder to please people, just before he kind of gave up on Beaumont.... ;D

You know, I would suggest that anyone with big tents please just set them up all over as a courtesy to all folks to be able to get out of the sun occasionally.  With no trees this can be a hot place-- the shade from big tents would be welcomed by all.

My comments were made after I was asked to call in the tournament and the conditions explained to me, by

the then expected UIC.  When he told me, furnish my own room, my own water, and that a maintenance crew

would not be available, I declined the offer.  Now that the TD has realized that the tournament could not

happen without umpires, his tune has changed.  I also know what he eventually had to fork out to the current

UIC.  All things a possible if one stops to realize just what is needed to maintain peace and harmony.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Copy/Paste  A quote from BHBlue

"BTW, can you expand on your "understanding" of this "Big National Fall JUCO Open" you mentioned?

In answering Mr BHBlue on this question I wanted all to be informed.......

I did an extensive study and found that there was not a viable US National Open JUCO Fall Tourney.  This was a niche market and activity we could maybe fill in Beaumont.

The study by a small team was expanded and included calls to JUCO people asking for their input as to what they felt was the best JUCO Tourney emphasis. A TD was ready to develop the event here.

It was to be in Beaumont; however, due to instabilities recently observed and encountered, the future Tourney Director has decided to set it up in Houston at another  excellent location for this year--that is probably a good idea at present.  My hope is that we can have this niche market type JUCO NATIONAL OPEN be played in Beaumont the following year.  Another great tourist attraction and fun event!

I will not divulge the Houston location nor the dates.  That is the job for the Tourney Director to determine the correct time to start the press announcements and information flow.

As to Mr. Stircrazy's statement about this weekend US OPEN maybe not being in Beaumont next year if it is not top-notch.  I would pass judgement only after the whole thing has been played out this weekend.  I am sure the logistics of doing a Tourney 100 miles from home is taxing and somewhat staggering.  Let's pray that Rusty and his crew are up to the auduous task of trying to help us reestablish a favorable reputation for hosting a good National-level outing for softball girls, fans and parents.

If it is not a good Tourney and does not look like it can be tweaked to make it better the next year then simply do not enter your team next year.  I guarantee this man has worked hard to make this a favorable event: if he fails it is not because he has not overcome many obstacles--he simply was overwhelmed.    LOL

My hope are that we may return to the pentacle we once held when the Golden Triangle was the shoo-in site for the Women's Olympic Softball Site-- if Houston won the bid for the Olympics some years back.

Cooperating together we can be the host area for lots of different type SB Tourneys.

Hi BHBlue:  Heard you get most of the credit for trying to shut down this Tourney!  Glad good reason prevailed by the folks in the Triangle that did not let outsiders determine the fate of a program for little SB players to have a viable Tourney.

This is an impressive statement in that, of a long line of absurd statements that you have made, it takes first prize.  It deserves no response other than pointing out it's absurdity.

Not sure where you "heard" this (if indeed you heard it at all), but I will suggest you find another source. 

Johnny is right they have a great large group of Umps coming in.  

He never said that!

The only folks I hear complaining are from out of the Triangle and they started out early and still have an "Empire" agenda.  Sometimes the tail just does not wag the dog, this seem to be the case since the Tourney made in spite of outside strong opinions. 

Agenda???  My very first post concerning this tournament was in response to the OP of this thread.  The rest have all been in response to your clueless statements.

"

Copy/Paste   A quote from BHBlue

"BTW, can you expand on your "understanding" of this "Big National Fall JUCO Open" you mentioned?

In answering Mr BHBlue on this question I wanted all to be informed.......

I did an extensive study and found that there was not a viable US National Open JUCO Fall Tourney.  This was a niche market and activity we could maybe fill in Beaumont.

The study by a small team was expanded and included calls to JUCO people asking for their input as to what they felt was the best JUCO Tourney emphasis. A TD was ready to develop the event here.

It was to be in Beaumont; however, due to instabilities recently observed and encountered, the future Tourney Director has decided to set it up in Houston at another  excellent location for this year--that is probably a good idea at present.  My hope is that we can have this niche market type JUCO NATIONAL OPEN be played in Beaumont the following year.  Another great tourist attraction and fun event!

I will not divulge the Houston location nor the dates.  That is the job for the Tourney Director to determine the correct time to start the press announcements and information flow.

I may be a Triangle outsider, but I do know a little about the JUCO ball that's played around here.  I haven't heard about this.  Maybe the "woodwork" umpires are working it.

You be sure and let me know when this happens so I will recognize it as what you are talking about now.

While I hope this tournament is very successful. I don't have a problem with BHBlue or DaMan voicing their concerns about conditions for umpires, they were probabaly instrumental in getting changes instituted. These two guys are some of the class guys in the profession and I have the utmost respect for them. I don't really know Rusty, but I take him for his word and I think he is really trying to make a good tournament. I believe This tournament and some very good umpires got off on the wrong foot because of the originally anounced provisions for the umpires. It looks like these have been handled and I hope we have a very good tournament. Let's keep it civil and respect each others opinions.

While I hope this tournament is very successful. I don't have a problem with BHBlue or DaMan voicing their concerns about conditions for umpires, they were probabaly instrumental in getting changes instituted. These two guys are some of the class guys in the profession and I have the utmost respect for them. I don't really know Rusty, but I take him for his word and I think he is really trying to make a good tournament. I believe This tournament and some very good umpires got off on the wrong foot because of the originally anounced provisions for the umpires. It looks like these have been handled and I hope we have a very good tournament. Let's keep it civil and respect each others opinions.

JT and others:

I just got off phone with UIC.  He has 45 umpires, admittedly not the kind he would like to have for a tourney

of this size and large 18U count.  He thinks things will work out though.  Since tourney starts on a Friday, he

ways he will be short on that day.  I have agreed to assist Friday only if needed.  I too would like to see the

thing fly what with the team count that is contained in the tourney.

A want to say I am sorry if I seemed brazen to contradict some nice people.  When folks started stating on here and notifying out-of-town folks that the Tourney had folded when that was not true--someone had to  present some accurate current info. 

The deal was the Tournament Director had hoped to fill the Umpiring spots hopefully with local Triangle people with skills and merit.  It's just a cost thing---THEN fill the remaining Umpiring jobs (if any) would be filled with folks getting free motel rooms bunking TWO to a room.  There is no way TJs can provide SOLO rooms for all the Umps to come in from even short distances without raising the cost on the teams and families-- out-of-site.  I am not saying that, "some were wanting to much sugar for a dime" but all UICs should fill first with the qualified LOCAL Umps that want the job; thus, helping sustain the local overall cost control efforts for the Tourney.

I would like to compliment Rusty Linney and his wife for trying to keep this thing afloat knowing it is a break-even endeavor at best.

When this started no one envisioned more that 30 to 40 teams and to just use local amateur concession folks and local Umps etc:  What happened was that kids and Coaches from everywhere wanted to play ball.  Rusty had a choice, dog-it-off (40 teams)or somehow try to roll with the punches and bring the team numbers up to a possible 80+.

The dynamics changed in a hundred ways. The Tourney had deep growing pains even though many things had been revised and handled properly.

Mrs. Linney has MS and is wheelchair bound.  She went to the city of Beaumont and showed them a number of handicap needs at the Riverfront park(which as been rented for tonight) in a most humble way--which apparently they appreciated.  For her to take her time to survey the park in a chair in this heat for assorted hazards and for Rusty(who is really not Darth Vador LOL) to work so diligently to bring Bmt. this Tourney--I think we all owe then a gratitude of thanks.

With gas up and some people fighting oil drilling for years; travel cost are now a major factor.  Eight trips(Riverfront Park tonight included) for 35 miles from my house=280 miles!  Young families with children in the Triangle: just think of the money you were able to save and still have your child play in a good safe local Tourney and have fun.  Some just could not afford to go on SB vacations this year for the first time.

Whether this thing turns out a wonderful paradigm shift in quality softball programming or a complete fiasco, I will shake  Mr. & Mrs. Linneys' hand for giving it the old college try to bring some good entertainment activity to Beaumont.  Bets are on: all systems will be better than OK.  I am looking forward to eating food prepared by the GTS bunch and the Strutter parents as a break from usual commercial concession-type food.  See you tonight.

I hope it goes well too and respect the effort that went into the preparation.  I am afraid there will be a very low turnout for the opening ceremonies, pin-trading (and even the coach's meeting).  Not too many teams from the Houston area are going to travel to Bmt a day early. 

I may be a Triangle outsider, but I do know a little about the JUCO ball that's played around here.  I haven't heard about this.  Maybe the "woodwork" umpires are working it.

BH BLUE...I'd like a little info on this too!  I do know that we are planning a Fall, mostly JUCO event at Southbelt as has been done the last few years...most of the area Junior Colleges as well as UH Victoria, HBU, TSU.

Guest 11/13Dad

Hi BHBlue:  Heard you get most of the credit for trying to shut down this Tourney!  Glad good reason prevailed by the folks in the Triangle that did not let outsiders determine the fate of a program for little SB players to have a viable Tourney.

LOL, I remember someone this week accusing me of stirring the pot.  This is a really large pot you have stirred here my friend. All in fun, all in fun, huh, Breaker Coach?

To HillGuy:  An amazing turnout of mostly 12u & 14u olds tonight.  The city of Beaumont had the Riverfront Park manicured and there happened to be a fair breeze off the shady river.  What's more there were no mosquitoes; it had just been sprayed!  A full turnout of teams for this Tourney!  There are some extremely good teams in for this Tourney especially 18 & U.

Christina Jacques and Shauna Kelly from the LSPA-Seahawks were happy to server as Hospitality Hostesses tonight.  The 12 U and 14 U were stunned to meet a real college All American in Christina Jacques.

Millions of dollars will soon be spent to build a lake inside downtown Beaumont and the park will be much larger and will be quite a tourist attraction very soon.

Oh I know that....we were both just hoping that it would turn out good for the younger ones and it did.

I will be over for sure to watch a new little batch called the Herricanes in 12 u around 5pm, for sure.  PM me who and when you will play-- it could be around the same time and I can see your team also.

Guest BreakerCoach

LOL, I remember someone this week accusing me of stirring the pot.  This is a really large pot you have stirred here my friend. All in fun, all in fun, huh, Breaker Coach?

Hey 13, He is part of the "Empire" Mafia ! Don't bring me into it !

P.S. Eastex, What are you smoking !  ;D

Hey 13, He is part of the "Empire" Mafia ! Don't bring me into it !

P.S. Eastex, What are you smoking !  ;D

Grapevine!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124